SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > Janome 8900 vs Babylock Crescendo ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Janome 8900 vs Babylock Crescendo
ourharley
ourharley
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/16/13
Send Message

Date: 3/16/13 11:06 PM

I'm trying to choose between two machines...a Janome 8900 and a Babylock Crescendo. I don't know a lot about Babylocks and am worried about durability and longevity. The difference in price is only 300.00. Any advice or input would be helpful. I have test drove both; the Babylock seems to have more features but the Janome seems more sturdy.

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/27/03
Send Message

Date: 3/17/13 7:59 AM

Well, i've only SEEN not tested these machines. But the BabyLock and this Janome are probably equals in terms of reliability/longevity. Both excellent brands especially at this price point. The "seems sturdier" could be a cosmetic illusion ...if i recall, the Janome is plastic housing but a softer white...less glossy. The durability factor is probably no different between the two based on that alone. Now if the BabyLock FELT flimsy or less capable during test-drives? That would obviously sway one toward the Janome!

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/17/13 9:57 AM

I would agree. I haven't used or had experience with either. But if I was torn and undecided and trusted a local dealer I would lean towards that route. I rarely hear about either brand not lasting. So it boils down to the perks and value.
Would you use dealer classes and discounts on accessories? Do you prefer local dealer maintence and interaction? Or would you prefer knowing you got the best deal on price?

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

hpthecat
hpthecat
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 8/17/10
Send Message

Date: 3/17/13 10:37 AM

The Janome's do have a solid feel-- but be wary unless you are dealing directly with a Janome shop. Their online support is not very good.

Babylock sells a good product with a solid reputation. They offer online support, they support many events nation wide, and most of the educational programming on PBS right now is done on Babylock's and their cousin the Brother's. I just think you would get better support and learning opportunity through Babylock--

------
Bernina 820, Babylock Audrey, BL Embellisher, BL Evolution Serger

tericloth
star
tericloth
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 4/7/04
Send Message

In reply to ourharley <<

Date: 3/17/13 8:42 PM

I am a new owner of the Babylock Crescendo. My opinion is that it is an excellent machine; however I have never owned a Janome.
The Crescendo has great lighting, it is the quietest machine I own, it accelerates smoothly, and learning to operate it is very intuitive.

I love the laser light! I have always used the markings on the throat plate to guide my fabric; but for the area the laser light covers, it is easier to see and "steer" with it on. Quarter inch seams, top stitching, and diagonals on quilt squares -- it is a useful tool.

Having the Multi-function foot control is wonderful too, and it allows you to customize it to your own desires. I have had other brands that will give you needle up/down with a tap on the back of the foot control; I love that feature, and can set the Crescendo to do that, too. Or, I could set the foot control to cut the threads. Or reverse stitch. It's so great to have the choice!

As to durability, well it's a new machine so that remains to be seen. But I have owned 2 other TOL Babylocks that were workhorses. Never a major problem.

Janome has its fan base, too. So test them both and pick the one that makes your heart sing.you can't go wrong either way.

Teri

------
Sewing with a view of the swaying palms....

1975Jumby
star
1975Jumby
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/19/08
Send Message

In reply to tericloth <<

Date: 3/17/13 9:55 PM

Tericloth - Do you mind telling us what your price was on the Crescendo? I've been contemplating this machine lately and was curious about the price points.

jim

------
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Enlighten
Kenmore 1914
Kenmore 1814

Artsewer
Artsewer  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 3/2/11
Send Message

Date: 3/18/13 10:26 AM

I have not tested either machine but did own a Janome 7700 and have tested the Symphony. I think at this point I would lean towards the Babylock.
I looked up the specs on the Babylock Cresendo and it is amazing.
I personally like the bobbin system and the way BL feed more. They are also both quiet and smooth operating machines. The 8900 is max 9mm width, the BL is 7mm width.
You really need to sit down and try them both out and see what feels best to you. Dealer support and company support are also important.

------
Bernina 750Q, 635E, 380, 1630
Serger 1100DC

tericloth
star
tericloth
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 4/7/04
Send Message

In reply to 1975Jumby <<

Date: 3/18/13 7:59 PM

Jim, it was about $3,900 including tax. That price also included the programmable foot control. From what I can see, that puts the Crescendo at a price at least $1,000 more than the Symphony, which comes with alot of presser feet and an extension table. If I were on a tighter budget, I would have definitely considered it.

But since I am a sucker for bells and whistles, I went for the new goodies that the Crescendo offers

Teri

------

Artsewer
Artsewer  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 3/2/11
Send Message

In reply to tericloth <<

Date: 3/18/13 8:53 PM

terricloth Those goodies would be really hard to pass up

------
Bernina 750Q, 635E, 380, 1630
Serger 1100DC

tericloth
star
tericloth
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 4/7/04
Send Message

In reply to Artsewer <<

Date: 3/19/13 2:21 AM

Yes they were!
Plus the dealer had a very smart marketing ploy -- he gave people a $25 gift certificate to come to a two hour demo of all the machine could do. Called it a marketing survey.

So for a couple hundred dollars worth of gift certificates, he wound up selling some machines to those who took the bait.

Guilty as charged.

Teri

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Janome 8900 vs Babylock Crescendo

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Silhouette Patterns 312

photo
by: PattyE

Review
Stitch 'n' Flip Jacket Construction - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Stitch 'n' Flip Jacket Construction  - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Tribeca Shirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Tribeca Shirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.