SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Needles ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Needles
quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 3/18/13 2:21 PM

Since we were talking about thread thought we may as well talk about needles. I've used mostly Schmetz needles in my machines. In the early days I used Singer. They were regularly on sale on the 50% off notions sales at Joanns but now they don't have that sale as often as they used to. But after Nancy Zieman turned me on to Schmetz ( like I know her personality lol) I've used them every since. Never had a problem with them so never thought to change. But I've heard of others, Klass, Organ etc. So what needles to you use and why do you like them as opposed to others?

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

fabrictherapy
fabrictherapy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Georgia USA
Member since 12/22/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/18/13 2:33 PM

I am a Schmetz fan. I love their larger eye needles for metallics, and I have very little issues with their needles on my Janomes. I still use needles designed for the FW's and I use those in my old Pfaff 130. For some decorative work last year I was using multi width sized twin needles. Unfortunately I had to switch brands to get the elongated eye in twin sizes working with metallics; and I really liked the Klasse Needles. I was happy to know I can go to either company and be happy.

I buy needles by the box, not the card anymore. I do change out my needle about every 8 hrs of sewing.

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

Date: 3/18/13 3:01 PM

#14 Titanium coated Organ-Superior Threads Top Stitch needle. I gave up on all others because I love that big eye.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf <<

Date: 3/18/13 3:02 PM

QW,
I've become a believer in the Organ Titanium Topstitch needles that I get from Superior Threads. I absolutely love them.
They last from 5 to 8 times longer than regular needles.
According to Bob of Superior Threads, you need only three of these type needles for your machine: 70. 80, 90.
I've totally found this to be true for my machines.
They're on sale now thru the end of the month.
If you can, get the "Thread Therapy" DVD from Superior, you won't believe how much wonderful information is packed into these seminars!!!

-- Edited on 3/18/13 3:11 PM --
-- Edited on 3/18/13 3:16 PM --

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

fabrictherapy
fabrictherapy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Georgia USA
Member since 12/22/10
Send Message

In reply to lgrande <<

Date: 3/18/13 3:05 PM

So theoretically, you can go 48-50 hours on one needle? WOW. I may have to try these :)

AminaHijabi
star
AminaHijabi
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/22/10
Send Message

Date: 3/18/13 4:35 PM

I just got some titanium coated quilting needles from Organ. I understand that the Superior Threads needles are Organ needles. I think I saw them at discountembroiderysuppply website thingy. I got mine with my thread. Looking at these "quilting" needles, I can't really tell much difference between them and the topstitch needles. Maybe I need new glasses.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 3/18/13 7:29 PM

Nancy's Notions has been offering Klasse needles for several years.

Organ brand is in most of the new machines. I use the Titanium coated ones when machine embroidering with sticky-back stabilizer.

Schmetz and Singer are just about the only brands sold in fabric stores.

Organ and Schmetz are my preferred brands.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

Date: 3/18/13 7:32 PM

I get schmetz topstitch needles by the box too. For some reason my Princess likes them the best.

------
Cathryn

Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

In reply to lgrande <<

Date: 3/18/13 9:22 PM

So do you use the titanium topstitch needles for everything? Embroidery, quilting, piecing, free motion and regular construction?

------
Elna Excellence 740, Pfaff Quilt expression 4.0, Janome 300E, Brother 8500D, Babylock Ellageo, Janome 900CPX CoverPro, Brother 5234 Project Runway Serger, Singer Treadle, Singer 66, Singer 99

http://juliannasjourney.blogspot.com/

Franksdottir

Franksdottir  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf <<
thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 3/18/13 11:34 PM

I use Organ, but for a silly reason.

I wouldn't use them if they didn't work, of course. But I love the package. There is just something about opening that little paper package, and taking out the foil wrapping which holds the ten needles, and then choosing one and closing the whole thing up. I just love it, every time I do it it makes me happy all over again.

Schmetz needles are excellent, and I have nothing against them, but they don't make me happy in the same way.

------
Barb

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Needles

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Class Details

Online Class
Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Class Details

Favorite Things The Boot Slippers Pattern

Favorite Things The Boot Slippers Pattern

More Info
Sew Chic Southern Belle Dress Pattern (ln8503)

Sew Chic Southern Belle Dress Pattern (ln8503)

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.