SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Colette has released their new pattern! ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Colette has released their new pattern!
Laurel is here!
j Renee Design
star
j Renee Design
Intermediate
Member since 7/26/10
Send Message

Date: 3/19/13 1:09 PM

You can see the blog post here.

It's really a versatile one, and Sarai even came up with a PDF booklet with fun design ideas.

I think this dress will be great on a lot of body types. Sadly, I don't think it will be flattering on me without waist darts. What do you think of it?
-- Edited on 3/19/13 1:14 PM --

------
Jess
Sewing, Knitting, Living: http://www.sometimessewist.wordpress.com

2013 - Bought: 181, Used: 96, Stashed: 85
2014 - Carryover: 85, Bought: 76 1/8, Used: 85 3/4, Stashed: 76 3/8

NancyZL
NancyZL  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NJ USA
Member since 6/18/08
Send Message

In reply to j Renee Design <<
thumbsup 12 members like this.

Date: 3/19/13 1:36 PM

Looks like my nightgown , no real "design" here.

westmoon
star
westmoon  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 9/7/11
Send Message

thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 3/19/13 1:43 PM

I have to be honest, I find this a bit disappointing. Even with the little booklet, there's not a lot of pattern there at an $18 + postage price point.

------
http://sewingnovice.blogspot.co.uk/
One woman. One sewing machine. One giant stack of fabric. What could possibly go wrong?

CindyHa

CindyHa
Advanced Beginner
WA USA
Member since 3/5/07
Send Message

Date: 3/19/13 1:44 PM

I'm undecided. I like the idea/concept of the dress, but from the photos I can't decide how flattering it would be on various body types.

I think the short length chosen on the samples is putting me off/distracting me from accurately evaluating it as well. I can't help but think it would look better if it were about 2" longer?

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to j Renee Design <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 3/19/13 1:49 PM

It seems to be designed for wovens, and although it is cute on the svelte young model, my gut feeling is that it will simply look chunky and awkward on any normal body more than 27 years old.

It might work better cut on the bias, and it probably would look very nice on many bodies if made of knit.

Not sure a whole new pattern is necessary for the last approach, though. Why not just use your favorite tried and true tee pattern and just add a little flounce to the sleeve?

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 3/19/13 1:51 PM

I thought it poorly fitted and pressed. Maybe it's the way she is standing, but look where the shoulder seam is on the white one...and the very odd wrinkles in the back!

I have no waist, so that doesn't bother me but most with my figure type are not going to wear horizontal stripes. Overall it looks like an elgongated tshirt pattern and I have several that look like it..

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

CindyHa

CindyHa
Advanced Beginner
WA USA
Member since 3/5/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/19/13 1:57 PM

I thought they looked poorly pressed too! Odd. I have never tried any of her patterns, and the reviews of her previous patterns are favorable.

I was hoping to pick the new pattern up with a few others and save on shipping; now I'm not sure.

j Renee Design
star
j Renee Design
Intermediate
Member since 7/26/10
Send Message

In reply to NancyZL <<

Date: 3/19/13 2:04 PM

Yeah, even though I think the pattern will be great for some folks, (AKA beginners and twig-like folk) I have to admit I am also a little disappointed.

I miss the style and design of some of the older patterns: Parfait, Ceylon, Rooibos.

I found last year's summer dress patterns (Hazel and Lily) a bit too simple for my tastes, and then comes Laurel...a shift dress with only bust darts.

------
Jess
Sewing, Knitting, Living: http://www.sometimessewist.wordpress.com

2013 - Bought: 181, Used: 96, Stashed: 85
2014 - Carryover: 85, Bought: 76 1/8, Used: 85 3/4, Stashed: 76 3/8

Kim12469
starstarstar
Kim12469
Beginner
MT USA
Member since 3/27/08
Send Message

Date: 3/19/13 2:05 PM

I have liked their patterns because they have been flattering on my curvy, large busted figure for the most part. I love this style, retro 60's shift dress, but it would look hideous on me so I won't be buying it.

------
http://kimsewsilly.blogspot.com/

Terri A
starstarstar
Terri A  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 1/16/08
Send Message

Date: 3/19/13 2:15 PM

I love the presentation and the lovely model they chose. Her fabrics are great!
at first I was disappointed because it is short (again) and lack of shaping. Then I realized how easy it would be to add darts to the front...
Admittedly I am obsessed with 1960's vintage patterns so maybe that's my thing - but the sleeves - the sleeves are great!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Colette has released their new pattern!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

KnipMode Magazine 07-2010-3

photo
by: treefrog

Review
Beginner Sewing Lab 104 - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Beginner Sewing Lab 104  - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Buy Now
Favorite Things Little Smartie Pants Pattern

Favorite Things Little Smartie Pants Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.