SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Home Dec. Sewing > Lining 2 Story Faux Silk Drapes ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Lining 2 Story Faux Silk Drapes
artgal331
artgal331
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/12/13
Send Message

Date: 3/19/13 7:59 PM

Hi! I'm getting ready to sew 2 story pinch pleat drapes for my family room. The fabric that I purchased is a dark chocolate faux silk background with a gold embroidered pattern on top. My question is about interlining. The drapes will be covering large windows and will be located on the southern side of the house, thus receiving full sun during the daytime. I'm torn between which to use; bump lining, flannel lining or a combo lining that has a fused interlining on the back side. The woman at the store suggested the combo lining, but I'm worried that the sun will go through it too much. On the other hand, I'm worried about the heavy weight of using a bump or flannel lining with such long drapes. Can anyone please direct me and tell me what my best option would be? Thank you in advance for your advice/help. I greatly appreciate it.

MartiP
MartiP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/5/12
Send Message

Date: 3/19/13 8:16 PM

What finished length do you mean by "two story"? Bump is about 1/4 inch thick and requires much hand stitching to the seams and outer layer. I have made drapery as long as 158"F.L. with an interlining. Interlining gives a lovely look to silk drapery. The "combo" lining would be the easiest. Ask for a sample so you can actually see how opaque it is. I have sewn drapery professionally and my personal preference would be to do the interlining. Your drapes will look so luxurious. Ask for a poly/cotton interlining, as it is much more stable than the 100% cotton.
-- Edited on 3/19/13 8:17 PM --

------
MartiP

Ruckertt's Law; There is nothing so small that it can't be blown out of proportion.

Bernina 1230 Bernette 007D
Brother CS6000i Brother 2340 CV
New Home L372
Singer 221K (off white)
U.S Blindstitch, Model SL 718/2D
Simplicity SE2
Brother 700II

artgal331
artgal331
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/12/13
Send Message

Date: 3/20/13 7:21 AM

Thank you so much for responding to my post. The finished length of each panel will be 210 inches long (or 17 1/2 feet). I've done pleated drapes before, but I've never sewn anything this long and I have never worked with this type of fabric either. One of my concerns with the bump fabric is that the entire panel will be heavy and since the panel is so long and will be attached to rings, I'm worried that the weight will drag on the top portion. I don't know if that's a valid concern or not, but that was one thing that went through my mind. I'm going to do what you said and pick up a sample of the combo lining and see how that works out. After researching it on the Hanes website, it says that it gives thermal protection so if I can get away with just that, I would be VERY happy. But I'll wait and see first. I've avoided this project for 4 years, so it's time to stop procrastinating and get it done! Thank you again for your help. I appreciate it!

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to artgal331 <<

Date: 3/20/13 10:15 AM

I have flannel interlining in my drapes that face South and it does not block out sun or heat. It helps a little and is better than nothing, but light and heat still filter thru. Perhaps two layers would help. I'm not familiar with "bump" lining so can't weigh in on that.

------
iPad's auto-correct is my enema.

artgal331
artgal331
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/12/13
Send Message

Date: 3/20/13 7:31 PM

Thank you for your comment Doris. I've decided that I'm going to go with the sateen lining that has the fused interlining on the other side. After putting much thought into it, I realized that the panels are for decorative purposes only and will remain stationary (unless someone wants to climb a ladder to move them). If for some reason that won't work, I'll just purchase and add the flannel interlining.
I'm starting this project in early April. I'll try to post pics of the finished product when its complete...unless things go south, then I'll be asking more questions. Thank you again!
-- Edited on 3/20/13 7:33 PM --

artgal331
artgal331
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/12/13
Send Message

In reply to MartiP <<

Date: 3/20/13 7:35 PM

One quick question, you mention that bump needs to be hand stitched which I realize. If I did add flannel interlining, does that need to be hand stitched as well or is that installed differently from bump. Sorry for the novice sounding question.

M.S.
star
M.S.
Intermediate
Member since 3/6/09
Send Message

Date: 3/20/13 9:55 PM

The flannel goes thru a blindhemming machine just fine. It's probably what I would use.

MartiP
MartiP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/5/12
Send Message

In reply to artgal331 <<

Date: 3/20/13 10:33 PM

No need to hem the flannel; I just serge the bottom edge. Make it an inch or two shorter than the lining. Don't stretch it across the width when putting the layers together, because it will pull back after hung. As I mentioned, the poly/cotton is more stable. I just carefully layer the fabrics and turn the double side hems over the lining and interlining. I carefully trim the lining and interlining to the last fold line. Others sometimes wrap the lining also, but I think it make the side hems too bulky. When blindhemming the side hems you will have to adjust your blindhemmer accordingly. I use some scrap fabric to test stitch. Have it so it just barely catches the fabric layer with a 2-1 stitch. You can do some loose tacks at the bottom hem, just as coat lining are tacked. Otherwise the flannel clings to the outer fabric quite well. I hand sew the four corners, tacking weights in the bottom corners so they are hidden. Hope this has been a help!
-- Edited on 3/20/13 10:36 PM --
-- Edited on 3/20/13 10:37 PM --

------
MartiP

Ruckertt's Law; There is nothing so small that it can't be blown out of proportion.

New Home L372
Singer 221K (off white)
Simplicity SE2
Brother 700II

nitsel
nitsel  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/25/11
Send Message

Date: 3/20/13 11:51 PM

What is bump lining?

MartiP
MartiP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/5/12
Send Message

In reply to nitsel <<

Date: 3/21/13 0:20 AM

It is also referred to as English Bump. It is a very thick drape interlining. It is probably at least 1/4 inch thick, and usually cotton or cotton and rayon. Because of the thickness and weight, it cannot be overlapped when joining widths. The proper way to handle it is to butt together and do a criss-cross hand stitch. It also must be loosely stitched to the seams and in two or three vertical rows in between with loose hand just picking the outer layer of fabric so that it all clings together when hung. The English used lovely techniiques to fabricate their drapery, incorporating much hand stitching. I suspect the thick inner layer was used for insulation because of the lack of central heating. It also insulates against sound. I once made all silk drapery with bump interlining for a New York townhouse.
The added weight gives a wonderful look to the drapes.
-- Edited on 3/21/13 0:21 AM --

------
MartiP

New Home L372
Singer 221K (off white)
Simplicity SE2
Brother 700II

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Home Dec. Sewing >> Lining 2 Story Faux Silk Drapes

Merchants on PR

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

SewBaby One Piece Reversible Sundress Pattern

SewBaby One Piece Reversible Sundress Pattern

Buy Now
J Stern Designs Women's Tee Pattern

J Stern Designs Women's Tee Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.