SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Spaces > Sewing Room Paint Color ( Moderated by Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Sewing Room Paint Color
Wall colors
luvfabric
luvfabric
Advanced
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 3/20/13 9:52 PM

What is a good wall paint color in a sewing room, besides tan or beige, that would be relaxing, & not put off a reflective tone that would make it hard to match fabric colors? I have a 6 ft x 6 ft west window. So there is a lot of afternoon light. I ws thinking of a soft blue-green but there are so many shades of that. What have other sewers used in their sewing rooms & how have you liked it?

katski
star
katski  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Alabama USA
Member since 3/15/10
Send Message

Date: 3/21/13 1:32 AM

I like Sherwin Williams Restoration Ivory. It has a very slight green tint. I have it in my home and office.

------
susiehomemakermd.com

KolHeidi
KolHeidi  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 2/6/13
Send Message

In reply to luvfabric <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/21/13 1:51 AM

I am lucky enough to have one whole room to devote to sewing, photography, and all my other pursuits. (I am very fortunate!!!) I purchased a few books about sewing spaces, organization, and have checked many books and the web as other resources.

Because colors of walls and other areas can affect the room and alter your perception of materials you are working on, I stick to pure white, but I painted a stenciled border with sewing motifs, which is blue.

I have a low pile area rug, (making it easier to find dropped pins), which is a light blue with a pattern.

Blue can cast cool tones on your room. Beige or tan can add a warmer tone, both depending on the hue and saturation. Colors can alter your color perception, especially if you are working on something that requires you to match colors.

Look at the color temperatures of your light, as you might want to stay with light that is around 5000 K or 5,500 K, which is daylight.

Try visiting your local paint store, and talk with the paint experts.

Good luck with your space, and area!

------
Heidi

NonieA1
NonieA1  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 11/3/10
Send Message

Date: 3/21/13 5:08 AM

My sewing area is also shared with the computer/library area. The walls are a pale green with one North-facing window. The sewing machine is in front of the window. I have an Ott light for fine sewing next to the machine. I find the color soothing. The room is also shared by the granddaughters, who are home-schooled. They sit with me while studying on their laptops. The room is comforting and inviting. I only wish it was a tad larger.

rtrittel
rtrittel  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 2/16/11
Send Message

Date: 3/21/13 9:14 AM

This is an interesting topic. My sewing room is painted a soft green as well. I have windows that face west (in southern Georgia!) so in the summer I cannot sew comfortably in there during the afternoon due to the heat. I use that excuse to check out the pool, which I have a great view of from the sewing room! :)

------
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." - William Morris

1975Jumby
star
1975Jumby
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/19/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/21/13 12:40 PM

Sounds like green is a popular color.....I painted my room green as well. A very light avocado green called "Old Money" from Lowe's. At first I didn't quite like it, but it has really grown on me and blends perfectly with my cream colored carpet and African Ebony colored Koala cabinets. I have an 8 foot wide by 3 feet tall window that faces east, so I get the morning sun, but the room stays light well into the afternoon. I find the color combination to be pretty soothing and light enough for me to sew at night with just one large lamp on.

Jim

------
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Enlighten
Kenmore 1914
Kenmore 1814

justgail

justgail
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 1/19/06
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 3/21/13 5:49 PM

My room (as is all but the living room) is an almost-white. Blank Canvas was the name, and indeed it is a blank canvas with no observable tint of any color. However, I have so many full shelves, that not much of it shows except the ceiling, so far. So I guess, in reality my room is really a color called "book spine and stuff".

Seriously though, I think it depends on how much and what type of light you have, and what colors and how much of it make you happy. While I like photos of rooms painted lime green or bright aqua, I don't see myself having a room painted that color. A pale shade of those colors, yes. I also love photos of rooms that are a riot of colors mixed.

Right now I'd rather have color introduced in easier to change items like curtains, cushions or decorations on the wall, or bright rugs on the floor. I reserve the right to change my mind later though. Maybe someday if I ever get to decorate a house to please only me I'll give something bolder a try.

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alabama USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

In reply to justgail <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 3/22/13 10:35 AM

I completely agree that the color depends on the type and amount of natural light in the room. My sewing nook is in my kitchen, and I painted the room in a very bright yellow-orange -- the color of a New York taxicab. I chose this shade because the room gets very little natural light and the weather here is often cloudy. The bright color warms up energizes what would otherwise be a gloomy place to sew.

As far as the accuracy of colors go, I've never understood why that would be the most important consideration. Whenever I want to see a fabric's true colors, I simply put it under one of my Ott Lights or take it outside.

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

marjoryt
marjoryt
Expert/Couture
Mississippi USA
Member since 8/1/06
Send Message

Subject: I went with a light oak, light turquoisy blue, and bright white. Date: 3/22/13 11:05 PM

I didn't choose green, because my kitchen/living room is green to match the green in the Silestone. Actually, it's not the correct shade, but we won't go there. So, green wasn't going up again. I had thought about yellow, but just didn't feel it for that room. I've been burned before with lavender - never once have gotten the right shade. I actually didn't pick the color until 2 days before the floor went down. The room received a total makeover, changing from beige carpet to light oak laminate (to match real wood floor in the living room). I had some white cabinets and white sewing tables, so it seemed natural to repaint the ceiling, wall trim and window frame/shutter a bright white. I wanted one of MY favorite colors, which is turquoise/teal. I went with a lighter version, since the window opens to the west. Hubby thought I was nuts going with this, until he got one coat on one wall. Then he thought the color wasn't rich enough. But, when we got the whole room painted with 2 coats, the color was rich, but not dark. I like to think of it as my memory of Destin, Florida, where I used to live. WHITE sand, NATURAL wood, and beautiful water.
I have 2 office chairs in there. One is an old royal blue fabric, and the other is a black leather - they look just fine. Actually, I've had all kinds of fabric spread out, and it seems everything looks wonderful in there. I can highly recommend thinking "beach colors" if you have a south or west facing room.

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 3/24/13 2:34 PM

My sewing area was just painted a peach ice cream color . . . What? I just love it and the room lights up my enthusiasm. I want to get in there to cut, sew, fit and press. Utterly attractive to me, like a bee to a flower. The space also is shed with a ton of natural light. A sliding glass door and large window fill most of the north-facing wall.

I find that color matching is a task that takes little of my time compared to everything else in my sewing life. While crucial, it is often done elsewhere and under poorly lit conditions. Sometimes it's in a fabric store, notions department or guessing online. For close observation at home, I'm with Nancy- I use my Ott lamps or go outside. I also put a very large neutral white piece of paper under everything. That way my peripheral vision is not distracted by the environment color.

Color is personal- go with what makes you feel good and be open to be surprised by what that is. No sooner had we painted the walls peach and than I went sewing machine shopping. To my amazement, the purple Pfaff Creative Performance looks right at home in the space. Now I'm even more eager to sew.
-- Edited on 3/24/13 2:36 PM --
-- Edited on 3/24/13 2:37 PM --

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Spaces >> Sewing Room Paint Color

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 09-2012-129

photo
by: wendlesue

Review
Favorite Things The Frayed Jacket Pattern

Favorite Things The Frayed Jacket Pattern

Buy Now
Sewn Square One Small Change Pattern

Sewn Square One Small Change Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.