SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Craiglist be very careful ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Craiglist be very careful
Not safe to go alone or at night
tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
Wisconsin USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

Date: 3/21/13 9:24 AM

I just wanted to post that something here has been on the news .... 2 serious stabbings this week alone of people going to buy from Craiglist alone & on side street. One person is seriously hurt, the other is in the hospital in stable condition. They are 2 separate incidents. .... Now police are suggestion that you ask for transaction to take place at the police station. If it is legit the people will not object to that. If they are criiminal intent you will not hear anymore from them. .............I know allot Craiglist for sm on PR so I thought I would mention it. ....Scary!
Please be careful.

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<
Meowy Christmas everyone!

Oh good, DH has now getting a nice part time job. Avg 20 hours a week.
The sewing workers:
Hello Kitty Kate (green), Hello Kitty Valerie, Dottie Kenmore, Bubba Kenmore the traveler.

Be still & know that I Am God +
Dear God...please help us out..Thank you..+

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 3/21/13 9:32 AM

What a great warning, thanks! I'm expecting to take delivery of a Horn of America table this weekend from a Craigslister. My MIL and hubby will be here and we live in a very active neighborhood (also dog-sitting a 100lb Rottweiler this weekend, on top of having our German Shepherd at the home). I've spoken to the owner and have taken precautions. Craigslist can be a great place to get deals but stories like yours also bring out the potential for things to go horribly wrong.

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/27/03
Send Message

Date: 3/21/13 9:42 AM

i use CL all the time...both buying and selling...but mostly selling and I'm much more cautious now. If item is small enough, i use a high-traffic retail area--often starbucks parking lots...to make the exchange. If I've been in phone contact w/ the person and feel comfortable (and you can tell when you speak to them)...then i let them come to my home. Likewise, i don't go to homes where i have not spoken w/ the person via email/phone...usually both. Because when you think about it--things like sewing machines are associated almost always w/ females and perception (false) is only older females sew...so a criminal could target vulnerable victims by using something like sewing machines as the bait. I do try to be careful. Sometimes will google map the area also to see what sort of neighborhood it is. So far, all transactions have been more than pleasant but I do worry that could change and that keeps me on my toes. I did some stupid stuff in my early days w/ the sewing machine deals. OMG...i shudder to think. But it was all good--just that now in retrospect, I would pass on a few of the places I went even if not alone!

HanPanda
star
HanPanda
Intermediate
Member since 4/27/08
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 3/21/13 9:56 AM

I use craigslist and Freecycle frequently myself. I often have people pick up from my front porch if I feel comfortable and I know several people are going to be home. It doesn't involve letting anyone into my house (for freecycle) and provides minimum effort for me. My neighborhood is also quite good and very nosy, so I feel safe on that part. I like to meet out by the metro if its something small that I can carry and pass off. When I go to pick up craigslist things, I always bring a big tall guy with me. Heck, even when I pick up from freecycle. My boyfriend is rather intimidating looking, and it's just good to have him on hand. XD

Honestly, I think it's good to be aware and be careful. But it shouldn't prevent you from continuing to use those services, while being careful. Out of the thousands of transactions every day that take place via craigslist, very few end in violence. The odds are pretty good in your favor, and even better when you're smart about it.

------
2014 resolution: keep track of sewn yardage!! I'm subtracting fabric given away from my yardage in. Yeah!
In: 99.75 yards
Sewn: 77.5 yards

I'll try anything once :)

Please excuse my typos...sometimes it is harder to go back and edit on mobile than it is worth!

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

In reply to sewfrequent <<
thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 3/21/13 10:01 AM

Quote: sewfrequent
If I've been in phone contact w/ the person and feel comfortable (and you can tell when you speak to them)...then i let them come to my home.

If someone has truly bad intentions towards you, they are NOT going to give that away on the phone. The most dangerous people are very charming and very convincing that they are just harmless regular folk.

Think about all the people attacked by people they found through craigslist...do you really think the attackers let the victims have a clue that they were planning to harm them?

edit:

Meant to say also that I am not saying don't use craigslist, just be smart. Use a public place, and don't be alone. Unless you are that hulking big guy.
-- Edited on 3/21/13 10:04 AM --

------
Cathryn

fabrictherapy
fabrictherapy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Georgia USA
Member since 12/22/10
Send Message

In reply to Cat n Bull <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 3/21/13 10:08 AM

I am 6ft 2 and I scare people! Seriously, be careful and use common sense. I use craigslist and ebay local pick ups, for both buying and selling. If they don't want to meet at in a public area, with the lot on cctv, I guess they do not want the item. I had one guy PUSH for my home address, pardon me while I push the disconnect call button. Not happening.

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

In reply to fabrictherapy <<

Date: 3/21/13 10:16 AM

LOL!
I am 5ft even and don't scare anyone.
My husband on the other hand can be a scary looking dude.

------
Cathryn

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
Wisconsin USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 3/21/13 10:35 AM

Both stabbings here were men! There were men waiting for them .. stabbed them & took their money. The men were alone the stabbers had friends. : ( .......
I do not Craiglist myself I just felt concerned as I know allot of PR members do Craiglist for sewing & sm. .... that's all just concerned...
Take care of yourself when you use it ....Thank you so much!

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<
Meowy Christmas everyone!

Oh good, DH has now getting a nice part time job. Avg 20 hours a week.
The sewing workers:
Hello Kitty Kate (green), Hello Kitty Valerie, Dottie Kenmore, Bubba Kenmore the traveler.

Be still & know that I Am God +
Dear God...please help us out..Thank you..+

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 3/21/13 11:15 AM

Sounds like the buyers may be the most vulnerable as they are the ones with money in their pocket.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 3/21/13 11:17 AM

I think much depends on where you live, local crime levels and your personal sense of safety.
I have bought several items on our local online classified, been invited into home and had great experiences. I have even had a sewing table delivered by a seller.

I have given away lots of stuff on Freecycle. I love it and have almost always had the item picked up at our house, but I have delivered a few things to peoples homes too.

People bought and sold items through the newspaper classifieds, local notice boards etc for many years before Craigslist and other online classifieds.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Craiglist be very careful

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Butterick 5153 OOP

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
SewBaby Poncho Pizazz Pattern

SewBaby  Poncho Pizazz Pattern

Buy Now
Veronica Pocketbook

Veronica Pocketbook

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.