SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Why two Janome dealers say 2 differnet things ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Why two Janome dealers say 2 differnet things
how info differs among dealers regarding Janome products
sewnewtothis2
sewnewtothis2
Beginner
Florida USA
Member since 3/22/13
Send Message

Date: 3/22/13 4:18 PM

Two dealers 60 miles apart tell me two different things:

Store A: Ruby Horizon 7700 is no longer being made and we cannot order them. Got no warning from Janome just one day could not get. Janome 3160qdc is available only through a dealer. Not aware of any bobbin problems others have posted about on Internet and Youtube. Do not buy any Janome online. They have plastic gears and are not sturdy.

Store B: Can get Ruby face plate Horizon 7700 and not discontinued. And for $1799 cash I can get one off a Janome Cruise where workshops are held. If finance $1899. May have been used 8 hours. I get same warranty, just cannot sell at new price. Example: "Cream face with silver dial Horizon 7700 has plastic gears. You do not want that. Plus it does not have extension table and soft cover." As for Janome 3160qdc it is a discontinued machine and no longer made. Then how can store A have 4 coming next Wednesday?

SewVacDirect: There is no difference in ruby and cream faces. It is just a color. Price $2999 but running phone special of $2799. NO MENTION THAT CREAM HAS PLASTIC GEARS. Did not ask if came with table as I did not know that was one of the differences yet. Says Janome 3160 qdc is a dealer only machine.

Janome Website only shows cream Horizon 7700. Do not see extension table mentioned. Janome 3160 is there too.

What is the deal?

fabrictherapy
fabrictherapy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Georgia USA
Member since 12/22/10
Send Message

In reply to sewnewtothis2 <<

Date: 3/22/13 4:25 PM

Store A is full of "STUFF". Funny about the "plastic gears." I don't know of any Janome that has plastic gears, even the ones sold at Hancocks Fabrics. Some machines have a frame and others do not is what I was told by my dealer that is what the difference was between the off the shelf ones in the retail sector and the ones at the dealer. He showed me what the frame looked like.

The 3160 was replaced by the 4160, and is no longer in production, but Janome still have machines to sell.

I have a red face 7700, and it does not have plastic gears. If you can get this for 1799.00 Get it!!! It is an awesome machine, and I am not looking at trading my beloved Henrietta in anytime soon.

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/22/13 4:44 PM

Dealers lie, unfortunately, as do do many salespeople. If they can't or don't want to match an Internet price, they'll tell you that the Internet machines are lower quality, even if this isn't true.

I'm pretty sure that all currently manufactured domestic machines have some plastic or nylon or resin gears. Doesn't mean they won't last. All metal gears need grease, and while that's not a bad thing, it doesn't seem to be the current state of affairs to have owners performing that level of self-service. That's part if the appeal of vintage machines-all metal gears and you can learn to service your own machine.

FWIW, the new Horizons seem fabulous. I was very interested in the 7700, but the local dealer would go below $3000 when I was shopping, and I read online that $2000-2500 with various extras was the norm. The 3160 was $800. So I never bought. Last fall, the 7700, plus a thread set, table, rolling case for the machine, AND a Janome 3160 was $2000 at a local show.

Now I'm reading on the Horizon yahoo group about the 8900 going from $2500-5000 new from dealer, or $1600-$3000 plus trade-in of the 7700.
Seems like the prices start very high when the new models come out, then decrease very dramatically, even before being discontinued.

I would NOT buy from a dealer that denies the existence of problems in a model, when you can easily find multiple references to that problem with a cursory Internet search. How likely are they to be both knowledgeable and willing to support you in case if problems? I ran across that when looking at another brand/model, and didn't buy.

If I were going to buy, I'd try to get $1500-2000 for the 8200, or $2000-2500 for the 8900 with the table and as many extras as possible included.

Just my 2 cents. I'm really "all set" when it comes to sewing machines, but these new Horizons have several improvements on the 7700 (pop out stitch plate, no more APC which was vulnerable to malfunction or damage), 9mm stitch width, different way of attaching the AccuFeed). Not that the 7700 isn't great, too, just that Janome seems to really have made quality improvements in these new models.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to sewnewtothis2 <<

Date: 3/22/13 5:04 PM

The machine used on the sewing cruise looks like a great deal. My Bernina 730E was a cruise machine, very low mileage, so I got it for "used machine" price with full warranty. The 7700 should be in great condition.

------
iPad's auto-correct is my enema.

sewnewtothis2
sewnewtothis2
Beginner
Florida USA
Member since 3/22/13
Send Message

In reply to Maia B <<

Date: 3/22/13 5:15 PM

Dealer says 2900 for 8200. take the 7700?

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 3/22/13 5:58 PM

Mmmm, I don't think I'd pay that for the 8200, but I like the upgrades from the 7700. Can you shop around more, see if there's an expo or show coming to your area, or just wait? Or at least find out what others in your area are paying. I'm in the Chicago, and local prices, even in the 'burbs, are never as low as the lowest prices I read online.

I was just looking at the comparison charts on the Janome site. Lots of extras with the 8900...

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 3/22/13 6:00 PM

I think $3K is a tad too much for the 8200, or the old 7700. The new 7700's are selling on ebay - SewVacDirect, and Ken's, at the special phone sale price they gave you, with free shipping.
And, Janome is creating a scarcity of these machines, as only certain dealers are authorized to sell them. My local dealer is not. The prices sure are all over the place on these babies. Very intriguing machines, yes. And I wouldn't worry about the gears. I do hear of tension problems like were seen with the Sapphires years ago, and the new Berninas. But gears breaking? Nah.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

sewnewtothis2
sewnewtothis2
Beginner
Florida USA
Member since 3/22/13
Send Message

In reply to SouthernStitch <<

Date: 3/22/13 6:28 PM

Southern Stitch I think you hit the nail on the head. Not all dealers are authorized to sell the ruby 7700. Store B is a huge place with high volume and they sell it. Store A is small rural and they say they cannot order it as it has been replaced. So frustrating. Was considering 3160 to take to class from small place but the demo one had tension issues and I told them to service it and I would come back and try it again that I was scared to take a 3160 for $699 when I had read about a lot of problems with the bobbin and that there does not appear to be a lot of popularity with it on this board. They do not take returns and they do not have any other machine in my budget I am interested in.

ilesliemy
ilesliemy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 2/25/05
Send Message

Date: 3/22/13 6:47 PM

I am pretty sure I have mentioned this somewhere on PR, but last Nov. at Quilt Festival I took an appliqu class on the Janome 3160 and it was about the poorest sewing experience ever. The machine could not take those curves and made thread nests and sometimes would just stop. The teacher sewed at home on a different brand so when she found out she was teaching on this machine she went to the Janome booth with her project and to ask for hints, instructions etc. we also had a full time Janome tech in the class room who couldn't fix them.
We all gave up on the machines. Whew, what a bad advertisement for Janome.
Leslie

------
Bernina Gal

sewnewtothis2
sewnewtothis2
Beginner
Florida USA
Member since 3/22/13
Send Message

In reply to ilesliemy <<

Date: 3/22/13 7:16 PM

Wow, how many machines were affected? I am going to take your post with the feedback I printed from JustAnswer.com and the Temecula Valley Sewing Center and see what this small dealer has to say. I cannot afford to be out 700 bucks.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Why two Janome dealers say 2 differnet things

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Class Details

Online Class
Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Class Details

Vogue Patterns 8414

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
My Favorite Duffle Bag

My Favorite Duffle Bag

More Info
Favorite Things Sleep Well Pattern

Favorite Things Sleep Well Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.