SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Beginner's Forum > How long does it take you? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
How long does it take you?
So many projects, so little time
MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

Date: 3/22/13 4:30 PM

I am always fondling my sewing patterns. I'm well over 100 now because I can't say no to a pattern sale. I have fabric on hand for at least 30 projects (OY!) and am always deciding I need just one more fabric store trip or just one more cart full of goodies from Fabric Mart.

So, right now, I have 14 patterns and fabrics matched and wanting to be made. I graded them based on what I *must* have like, now and the things I'd just really like to see made up. This means I probably have my sewing cut out for me for many, many weeks and months to come! LOL!

With alllll that said, how long does it take YOU to make, on average, the following:

Knit Top
Other Top
Knit Dress
Other Dress
Straight/Pencil Skirt
Gathered/Pleated/Otherwise Detailed Skirt
Shorts
Pants
Jacket
Coat
-- Edited on 3/22/13 4:31 PM --

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

westmoon
star
westmoon  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
United Kingdom
Member since 9/7/11
Send Message

In reply to MrsCharisma <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 3/22/13 6:04 PM

There are more variables than fabric type and garment types, in my opinion, such as the number of pattern pieces, the number of times I have made the pattern before, and the techniques I am using, plus just personal attributes like whether you sew in big blocks or in short segments wherever you can squeeze it in, how many alterations you need to do for your particular figure, and so on.

For example, I recently made a new, really simple knit top. It has 5 pieces: two body pieces and three pieces of binding. The first one took me 5 hours from tracing the pattern to snipping the last thread, including time spent making some fit alterations, adjusting my pattern for future re-use, and so on. The second one I made, when I didn't have to do anything except cut out the fabric, sew four seams, 3 pieces of binding and a hem, took me about 50 minutes. On average, across the two tops it took me 3 hours each, but you can see how averages are mis-leading!

Also, if you're still learning, the time you take to do things is going to change pretty rapidly. Recently I made a skirt from a pattern I hadn't used before. Some things went quickly because I had made some other skirts and didn't need to think too much about it, and because I have basically no fitting issues on my lower body. However, it took me AGES to put the zipper in. It was the first time I'd used an invisible zip and my new invisible zip foot and I spent some time watching a video, doing a practice run with a scrap zipper and fabric, and so on, and overall it probably took me an hour to advance my skirt through that step. Then a few days later I made another skirt and put in an invisible zipper in in about 10 minutes.

-- Edited on 3/22/13 6:07 PM --
-- Edited on 3/22/13 6:08 PM --

------
http://sewingnovice.blogspot.co.uk/
One woman. One sewing machine. One giant stack of fabric. What could possibly go wrong?

solosmocker
starstarstar
solosmocker
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 1/23/06
Send Message

thumbsup 10 members like this.

Date: 3/22/13 8:20 PM

I sew most of my clothes. I don't make much more than that much in a year. I think you are being hard on yourself. Don't worry about how long things take. Enjoy the process, the learning, the result. The more you sew, the better you will get at it and time spent will become a non issue. It's not a race.

That all being said, here's a bit of a reality check, at least how it has affected me at times. Buying fabric and planning projects is highly enjoyable. It is so enjoyable that it is easy to get hooked on the shopping high and find plenty of time to do that and not then have enough time to sew it all. My advice would be to take all those fabrics and planned projects out of their bags and just stack the fabrics on one shelf and the patterns on another. Those bags are commitments and too many commitments can provide a great deal of stress. Empty them all out, and now pick TWO and only two projects to put in your project bags. Forget about all the rest. They are not going anywhere and can be revisited anytime. Spend your efforts and time working on those two projects and nothing else. When one gets done, go into your stash and line up another project. I guarantee this will eliminate a lot of stress for you and I bet in the long run you will achieve more and of better qualaity. We all have more ideas in our heads than time but having a more realistic goal that is achievable short term is a lot more rewarding and comfortable as well. You will also find that those projects that were in the other bags may be forgotten because something better has come along to catch your attention. You will have the freedom to revisit your stash and make the latest and greatest without remorse. Stop timing yourself and trying to do too many things. enjoy the process. Stop feeling that you are committed for the next year. One garment at a time!!!

------
http://lasewist.blogspot.com/

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/22/13 8:27 PM

I lost my job several years ago and haven't had a budget for buying new fabric. I've been sewing my stash and it's dwindling.

All that to say - there is a definite inverse relationship between the amount of fabric owned and the time it takes to complete a garment.

The less fabric you have, the faster it goes.

------
Mary

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

Date: 3/22/13 11:35 PM

Oh, I'm not in a state of frustration or rushing myself or timing how long it takes me to do anything. I'm certainly not down on myself! My post was more-so inspired by my excitement of my newfound hobby! More in fun than being worried about how long it takes/will take me to do things.

Now solosmocker, I agree with that bit about getting too pinholed into **this pattern + this fabric**. I've done this once already, matched up all of my fabrics with patterns I thought they would work with. And then I realized that was crazy and dismantled that whole thing...but I did it AGAIN!!!! EEK.

At any rate, the feedback is much appreciated.
-- Edited on 3/22/13 11:38 PM --

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/23/07
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 3/23/13 0:36 AM

I have many projects going at one time or another. Like right now im embroiderying easter baskets for my sisters. I'm also going to make my mother a picture of jesus embroidered. I just finishing up my granddaughter a hooded sweatshirt. Then there's a few alteration to do. I like to put down and pick up when i'm getting tired on one project. I will come back later to it. Its ok to have more then one project going at one time.

------
Ecclesiastes 11:7,8 Nothing on earth is more beautiful than the morning sun. Even if you live to a ripe old age, you should try to enjoy each day, because darkness will come and will last a long time. (CEV)

Sharon48
star
Sharon48  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/17/12
Send Message

Date: 3/23/13 1:06 AM

I never thought I would be one to have more than 1 project going at a time. However, when I got my new machines (BL Ellisimo Gold and Evolution) I found myself trying different processes on each one. For instance, I have just finished a tote bag (doing embroidery and fun stitches), but also am working on a quilt (have binding left to do), pillows made with my serger using coverstitch and texture magic (beautiful process) and am working on a new top (taking a class and learning new technique). I have these all going and am having so much fun! There have been many more this past year, too. But, if you would have asked me that question a year ago, I would have said I work on one project at a time - not so any more. It just kind of happened and I now prefer it this way.

------
Sewing is a passion, so relaxing and calming!

Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Evolution
Babylock Melody
Viking 190
BLCS-2 (I know, I know - but had
to have it!!)
Babylock Embellisher
Singer 401A

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to marymary86 <<

Date: 3/23/13 1:17 AM

Quote:
there is a definite inverse relationship between the amount of fabric owned and the time it takes to complete a garment. The less fabric you have, the faster it goes.

I never thought of that. My stash doesn't get low, but only because I move through it so slowly. Anyway, what I really wanted to say was and I hope you find a great job soon.

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

Date: 3/23/13 1:21 AM

Pants and skirts are the fastest for me to make, but even those sometimes take a while to prep. Anything for the top half of me takes longer because it involves so much more fitting and fiddling.

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

KathleenS
starstar
KathleenS  Friend of PR
Intermediate
International AUSTRALIA
Member since 11/18/02
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 3/23/13 1:52 AM

I aim to make 12 garments a year, and that's roughly right for me. Last year I think I made 11 1/2. I am a slow sewer because I can't break myself of perfectionist tendencies. I guess I get distracted too, and I work full-time. Of your list, a knit top would probably take me a day. A coat or jacket takes about 3-4 months. The others are in between. I do my best to stick to the one project at a time rule (although it doesn't count if it's not cut out yet . )

Hope that helps.
-- Edited on 3/23/13 1:53 AM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> How long does it take you?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 04-2008-116

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
Burda 7495

photo
by: highCsopra...

Review
SewBaby Quick Kitchen Gifts Pattern

SewBaby Quick Kitchen Gifts Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Siena & Cortona Shirts

Sewing Workshop Siena & Cortona Shirts

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.