Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Machine Embroidery > Bernina 450/440 embroidery module ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bernina 450/440 embroidery module
Is the embroidery module for the 450/440 worth $600?
tkdnrun
tkdnrun
Intermediate
MO USA
Member since 12/15/10
Login to reply to this post

Date: 3/22/13 11:42 PM

I have recently been offered the opportunity to purchase a new in box never used embroidery module for a Bernina 440/450 for $600. (price might be slightly negotiable) I have a 450 and am interested in getting into embroidery. It sells at my dealership new for $1100.
This is what I've been told:
-comes with 5x7 hoop
-needs to be attached to a computer (no usb option-I do have laptop with Windows 7)
-Needs a service patch to work with Windows 7
-Uses "EC on the PC" Editor Lite software (that is what I understood as I took notes and might not be totally correct) and I don't think upgrades are available if I understood.

My questions:
1) Has anyone used this software and embroidery unit? Do you like it or not and why? are designs easy to get?
2)Is this worth $600 to turn my 450 into an embroidery machine or would a stand alone $600 or less Brother embroidery only machine be better bang for my buck.

I hate buyers remorse, so any wisdom anyone can share would be gratefully appreciated.

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
MN USA
Member since 4/23/07

In reply to tkdnrun <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 3/23/13 0:28 AM

If it is new yes it is worth getting it. I bought a used one for 500.00
I used the one i have for only a couple times it sewed very nice.
here's one on ebay.bernina 450/440 embroidery module
here's another one that is on ebay.module
as you can see they are not much more. Offer that person a price you maybe suprised.

------
Galatians 5:22-23 The Spirit produces love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, humility, and self-control. There is no law against such things as these

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL USA
Member since 2/8/09

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 3/23/13 7:06 AM

I would avoid anything without USB. It really dates the product. I did a lot of research back in 2009-10 when deciding whether to add that unit to my 430 and opted for a stand alone em.
I did not want to be tied to only using Bernina formats and Bernina software and tying up my Bernina machine.
I never regretted getting a stand alone EM with USB. I can use any software and download any file and move it over to stitch out without hooking the machine up to a computer. When you have to use a computer cable then you add in the problems of incompatibility when the computer system updates and patches first hit.
Not to mention you have to reconfigure your sm each time you change between sewing and embroidering. And you always need a laptop or PC close enough to connect. That takes up more desk top space and more outlets where your sm is located.
I much prefer a separate computer station with printer and external storage and a large screen to make my edits. Then I save to a USB and move over.

Is it a good value? Yes.
Is it the best option? Maybe Not.

Make sure you feel really good about it so you dont regret it later. I just can't stress enough how easy USB file transfers are compared to cabling transfers.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Merry G
star
Merry G  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 11/6/02

Date: 3/23/13 9:11 AM

I purchased a new to me 440 w/emb unit & have yet to learn how to use it...can anyone shed some lite on that...I have a stand alone unit also but it is older model & while I love it I cannot edit design size etc on the machine. I would like to work w/what I have now...so any insite would be greatly appreciated...thanks sew much!

------
Merry sews

Mrs.Moos
star
Mrs.Moos  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 11/5/02

Date: 3/23/13 11:20 AM

I work in a sewing store and have seen people "trying" to use these during embroidery club. PITA unless you don't mind hauling your laptop, cords etc. It would be so much simpler to purchase a standalone emb machine such as Brother 770 IMHO.

------
Brother ULT 2002D, Janome 6500P, Babylock Eclipse SX, Juki MO654DE, Janome Coverpro 1000CPX, Singer 15-91

Skittl1321
star
Skittl1321
Advanced Beginner
IA USA
Member since 9/9/07

Date: 3/23/13 12:01 PM

I personally really like that the module connects directly to the computer as I find it easier to work on the computer than do the editing on the screen of the other Berninas (though I recognize you can go computer to USB, but many people seem to edit some on screen)- but I realize that also means there is going to be a time where the computers just don't work anymore and it will be obsolete.

I've found designs very easy to get- all of mine have come from online. I only bought one pack from my dealer and then I've never even used them (so expensive too...)

However, mine was thrown in free with my machine. For $600 if you can get a stand alone with a decent field size I'd do that. I hate when my machine is tied up embroidering, since I have to sit with it in the sewing room, I'd like to be able to sew.
-- Edited on 3/23/13 12:02 PM --

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06

In reply to Mrs.Moos <<

Date: 3/23/13 12:53 PM

Quote: Mrs.Moos
I work in a sewing store and have seen people "trying" to use these during embroidery club. PITA unless you don't mind hauling your laptop, cords etc. It would be so much simpler to purchase a standalone emb machine such as Brother 770 IMHO.

Agree. The technology for the module is too old school.

If you want to get into embroidery, get a Brother with USB connectivity and, at the least, 5 x 7 hoop. The indicated hoop size usually designates the largest area the machine can embroidery without some finagling (as in crafty and not dishonest).

-- Edited on 3/23/13 12:56 PM --

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

grey ann
star
grey ann  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NY USA
Member since 4/25/09

thumbsup 2 members like this.
Date: 3/23/13 2:19 PM

I have a 440 with module and a new 580. The EC on PC can be 'quirky' - ie, you have to have the presser foot up when you write to the machine, etc. But it stitched out as well as the other machines. And I like having the large laptop screen to see! I still use mine, esp if I want to sew on the 580 at the same time.
Benefits: you are not paying for the cost of a computer iin the machine; editing is a lot easier in the software. Artlink is a free program that will read and convert any design for your machine. I was using the Bernina V6 software to create and edit, so it was a simple thing to just hook up the laptop to the cable and send right to the machine.
You can use any design from any company - the software will read and convert to an art file.
It really is a question of, are you going to want the software to edit/design in which case you need the computer (pref. laptop) anyway. I think the 400 line is a real workhorse of a design and will be supported by Bernina for a long time. There are many of these machines out there.
However, if the software is not important, than a stand-alone machine with USB capability in the same price range might be preferable.

tkdnrun
tkdnrun
Intermediate
MO USA
Member since 12/15/10

In reply to Skittl1321 <<

Date: 3/24/13 0:46 AM

Skittl1321:
Do you use the EC on the PC/Editor lite software? What do you think if that was all that was available?
I do think since the LCD on the machine is limited that a computer would make things easier to see and edit.
That said you make some excellent other points (as have others who posted) about the drawbacks of software and technology support.

tkdnrun
tkdnrun
Intermediate
MO USA
Member since 12/15/10

In reply to skae <<

Date: 3/24/13 0:48 AM

Thank you so much for the ebay links. I at least will negotiate a better price. The first posting with all the extras was tempting-last I saw it was at $435 or $475 for extra hoops, patterns, thread, and a case (not sure if that comes with the original). Thanks again!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> Bernina 450/440 embroidery module

Merchants on PR
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!
Sewn Square One
Patterns for Your Style.
Web site
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Create a Jacket Muslin
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Create a Jacket Muslin

Online Sewing Classes
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Schnittquelle 01-133
photo
Review by Margaret on 3/15/14
Read Review

Jamie Christina Palooza Apron Pattern (JC309PA)
Jamie Christina Palooza Apron Pattern (JC309PA)

Details
Price: $14.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

You Sew Girl Beauty Case Pattern
You Sew Girl Beauty Case Pattern

Details
Price: $18.15
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Peek-A Boo Elastic Band Booties Digital Pattern ( Size 0 mo - 8 years )
Peek-A Boo Elastic Band Booties Digital Pattern ( Size 0 mo - 8 years )

Details
Price: $3.99
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Blank Slate Basic Blazer Digital Pattern
Blank Slate Basic Blazer Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

BurdaStyle Downloadable 3197 Lydia
photo
Review by senaSews on 9/12/08
Read Review

McCalls 6610 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )
McCalls 6610 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )

Details
Price: $18.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

McCalls 6440 Pattern ( Size 14-16-18-20 )
McCalls 6440 Pattern ( Size 14-16-18-20 )

Details
Price: $19.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN