SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Miscellaneous > Shipping things overseas ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Shipping things overseas
Any way that is not soooooo expensive?
tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 3/25/13 6:29 PM

My DD has moved to Scotland and has left behind some items that are not so easy to replace - like her extra long bath robe that actually touches the ground and keeps her ankles warm - do they have "Tall Girl" shops in the UK? I would love to ship a few things over, but my very quick look at the mail costs have made me think there must be a cheaper way! Any ideas?

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

lareine
star
lareine  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 11/10/06
Send Message

Date: 3/25/13 6:41 PM

To answer your first question, there is at least one shop for tall girls:
http://www.longtallsally.com/
And they have a dressing gown.

To answer your second question: if there is a cheap way of shipping things from Canada to another country then I'd love to know it too, from a receiving-end point of view!

-- Edited on 3/25/13 6:42 PM --

SheBear0320
starstar
SheBear0320  Friend of PR
Advanced
Manitoba Canada
Member since 4/8/08
Send Message

In reply to tourist <<

Date: 3/25/13 7:11 PM

None that I've been able to find so far. I'll be interested to hear if anyone knows of one.

..... and lucky DD .... I would love to move to Scotland. Where has she moved to and how long is she going to be over there?

------
Sheila
"sewing very slowly to fill an empty closet"

2014 Stash Busting Sew-Along:
56.0 yards sewn (as of 08/13/14)
113.125 yards purchased (as of 08/13/14)

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

In reply to SheBear0320 <<

Date: 3/25/13 7:24 PM

Thanks lareine and SheBear! So glad to hear there is a spot for the tall one to shop.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

In reply to tourist <<

Date: 3/25/13 10:36 PM

My dd sent her books back from Korea by sending it surface. It didn't take too long to get here either. It was much cheaper

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

jacquiJB
jacquiJB  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
DENMARK
Member since 5/5/06
Send Message

Date: 3/26/13 2:55 AM

As an American expat living in Denmark, let me assure you: there's no cheap way of getting things from there to here. I was visiting my mom in San Diego last November, and she very much wants me to take a few things home (her silverplate coffee set and a big glass punchbowl), but damn if I could find an affordable way to do it. Best I rate I could find was over $300, the worst was well over $500. And those are surface rates! The moving companies I talked with (because I thought hey, maybe I can get a box into someone's container and get stuff home that way), wouldn't take anything under 1000(!!!) pounds. Sentiment notwithstanding, we're not talking particularly about valuable items.

And don't forget that customs can and will take their pound of flesh, as well, even if it's something that already belongs to the receiver. Other than saying that I really *don't* mind paying appropriate taxes on goods received from overseas, I'll save the customs rant for another day.

Needless to say, the coffee set and punchbowl will stay with Mom for the time being!

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to tourist <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/26/13 3:40 AM

Unless we discover an alternate form of energy to power cars, boats, and planes, I am afraid there are no forms of cheap shipping at all. Funny, one of my friends, a fairly well known scientist, was playing around with that idea in his last years. Ted, where are you when we need you?

TeeGee

TeeGee
Intermediate
International CANADA
Member since 11/13/04
Send Message

In reply to Elona <<

Date: 3/26/13 5:16 AM

Quote: Elona
Unless we discover an alternate form of energy to power cars, boats, and planes, I am afraid there are no forms of cheap shipping at all.

A car that runs on air and water,(right after the ad).Bloomberg's Middle East Business Editor Elliott Gotkine takes you for a ride in a car that is powered by air and water,video
link.
Vivienne
star
Vivienne
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 6/29/04
Send Message

In reply to tourist <<

Date: 3/26/13 9:29 AM

Time for Mom to start planning a visit!

------
Cheap fabrics, like cheap shoes, are a false economy.

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 3/26/13 11:29 AM

The prices went up dramatically, the end of January at USPS. Some of them almost doubled. They don't offer surface anymore. Some of my customers in South America use a shipping service. Where the service will ship alot of their packages togther in bulk.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Shipping things overseas

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Beginner Sewing Lab 104 - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Beginner Sewing Lab 104  - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Buy Now
Sewn Square One Small Change Pattern

Sewn Square One Small Change Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.