Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Miscellaneous > Karma ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Valerie Jo
star
Valerie Jo
Advanced Beginner
MO USA
Member since 8/2/09
Login to reply to this post

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 3/26/13 1:07 PM

Who needs revenge when there's karma? Whenever someone does something mean or evil to me, I just sit back and watch. What happens is they get it 3 times worse. I don't have to do anything. I don't necessarily want harm done to other people BUT I sure hope they learn their lesson (to spare others). I have tried to warn them but without success. Has anyone else had/have this experience?

Kwaaked
Kwaaked
Member since 9/25/12

thumbsup 2 members like this.
Date: 3/26/13 1:38 PM

Yes and no.

People that are likely to be mean and evil to you continue to do it to others. Like everything else, someone is always meaner and bigger then they are so they wind up "getting it" in the end.

And people like that are unhappy IMO. They put out negative energy and that's what they get back.

Some people don't think of themselves as being like this, or have a personality that is too much about me, me, me to understand it, so those types don't usually see it as "karma" getting them in the end. Others have something huge happen (fire, jail, etc.) that it is always someone else's fault. Hard to see karma when the bully or victim mentality takes over.

HanPanda
star
HanPanda
Intermediate
DC USA
Member since 4/27/08

Date: 3/26/13 1:51 PM

I come from a teeny tiny hometown where everybody knows everyone. I was asked by someone I know very well about two women I went to high school with. I was very honest about my opinions on them, and the woman I liked was hired. Maybe not karma in the truest sense, but definitely a bit of what goes around comes around. Reasons to be nice to everyone....always :)

------
2014 resolution: keep track of sewn yardage!!
In: 68.5 yards
Sewn: 19 yards

I'll try anything once :)

Please excuse my typos...sometimes it is harder to go back and edit on mobile than it is worth!

bessiemae
bessiemae
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 4/15/06

thumbsup 3 members like this.
Date: 3/26/13 1:58 PM

We create our own karma.

Unpleasant or thoughtless people create situations that kick back, frequently exponentially.

Conversely, kindness, humility, and generosity always " pay forward".

------
Brother Innovis NX650Q; Brother Nouvelle 1500; Brother CS6000i; Brother 1034D

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
ON CANADA
Member since 7/16/07

In reply to bessiemae <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 3/27/13 5:50 PM

Quote:
Unpleasant or thoughtless people create situations that kick back, frequently exponentially.

Conversely, kindness, humility, and generosity always " pay forward".

Hmm, I don't think this is always true -- mean people often spend their whole lives mistreating others, and kind people often get repeatedly mistreated. Often there are no repercussions during the person's lifetime. Note that I said "during the person's lifetime."

That said, I think very few kind people would trade places with a mean person, even though mean people often end up climbing their way to the top of life's supposed "ladder."

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Photo: A long time ago

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 7/23/07

Date: 3/27/13 6:41 PM

Funny - I was just thinking today how my family, full of issues as families are, were not mean or manipulative, at least as far as I know. I had to learn through painful experience that people would repeat your secrets to others, back stab and be flagrantly malicious about all kinds of things - big and small. I won't stoop to their level and face it - I have no skills in the area! - but I have learned to answer some questions generally and even to withhold information from people who are not entitled to know it. I do love it when the meanies get their comeuppance!

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

NancyZL
NancyZL  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NJ USA
Member since 6/18/08

In reply to Vintage Joan <<

Date: 3/27/13 6:50 PM

I agree Vintage Joan, & also don't think this is true. Read the bestselling book by the rabbi , I forget his name " When bad things happen to good people" is the title. It helped me deal with the "unfairness" one sees . And, my parents' home went up in flames and believe me they did nothing to warrant such a misfortune!

bessiemae
bessiemae
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 4/15/06

thumbsup 2 members like this.
Date: 3/27/13 8:16 PM

I've seen the Meanies get nasty badness meted out, time and time again. It stinks for the pleasant, kind, hardworking folks to have to deal with the the ugliness of full throttle Meanies, or the collateral damage. The Meanies never understand their role in the consequences.

Bad Things do happen to Good people....kindness and generosity do not protect one from falling in love with, trusting, or becoming victims to Meanies...or experiencing illness...or catastrophe. It's how you handle it that tests the character and shapes karma.

------
Brother Innovis NX650Q; Brother Nouvelle 1500; Brother CS6000i; Brother 1034D

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
ON CANADA
Member since 7/16/07

In reply to bessiemae <<

Date: 3/28/13 0:19 AM

Quote:
I've seen the Meanies get nasty badness meted out, time and time again.

Example from the other side of this coin: a relative of mine by marriage demeaned everyone around him. For example, he would draw people into conversations, then go in for the kill. His kids grew up afraid of him, and when they grew up they had nothing to do with him for a couple of decades. His wife stayed with him, but she became toxic herself, in a passive-aggressive way. The rest of us just learned to have nothing to do with him -- he was dangerous. This of course further isolated his wife. He died 14-15 years ago -- from what I can tell, never even aware or concerned that he had deeply hurt and offended so many people. His mother was apparently even worse than he was, and seems to have died unrepentant as well. What consequences did these people suffer during their lives? They were bullies. It was other people who paid the consequences -- pretty severe consequences, at that.

I should probably add that I don't believe in karma. Sometimes during people's lifetimes they end up paying the consequences of things they've done, but often not.

-- Edited on 3/28/13 0:37 AM --

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Photo: A long time ago

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 3/13/06

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 3/28/13 5:53 AM

Sometimes, revenge really isn't as dramatic or super satisfying as you think it's going to be.

I had a boss that tormented me every minute he spotted me and I despised him. Eventually, he got fired (shortly after an incident where he pulled a gun on his neighbor in Greenwich Ct), and I got a new job. One day, we were hiring and I spotted him as he went in to interview with someone. I didn't react at all, not even on the inside.

The guy he interviewed with bumped into me and said, "Hey, do you know this guy from when you worked at Flimly? What do you think of him?"

It barely took any effort at all to put the kabosh on him. I didn't jump up and down, venting all over the place. In fact, I said not a word. Just shook my head "No" -- once to left, once to the right.

And that be that.

j.

-- Edited on 3/28/13 5:56 AM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Karma

Merchants on PR
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Online Sewing Classes
Leather 101
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Leather 101

Butterick 4686 6 sew easy
photo
Review by alimmay on 11/12/12
Read Review

Suzi Purse Insert
Suzi Purse Insert

Details
Price: $9.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

THE BASIC SLEEVE, a CD book by Kenneth King
THE BASIC SLEEVE, a CD book by Kenneth King

Details
Price: $19.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Oliver S Birthday Party Dress Digital Pattern ( Size 6m-3T )
Oliver   S Birthday Party Dress Digital Pattern ( Size 6m-3T )

Details
Price: $13.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Peek-A Boo La Jolla Swimsuit Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -12 years )
Peek-A Boo La Jolla Swimsuit Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -12 years )

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue Patterns 8655
photo
Review by Blooms on 4/15/10
Read Review

Vogue 8849 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )
Vogue 8849 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )

Details
Price: $27.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Butterick 4201 Pattern ( Size 8-10-12 )
Butterick 4201 Pattern ( Size 8-10-12 )

Details
Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN