SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > T shirts in cold climates ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
T shirts in cold climates
quality/thickness
SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 3/27/13 9:54 AM

I just have to ask this- it is about fabric in a way. When we lived in MT we would make the 3+ hr trek to the big city a few times a year. About every 2 years we hit Old Navy or similar in May or June and bought a 2 year supply of T shirts. Nothing fancy- muted colors, no logos. They were thick, soft, cozy and only available from about May to Aug. Come Fall they were either out or wrong size, etc until next May. Used them year round either alone or to layer under shirts.

So we moved to FL in July and went to replace our T-shirts last month. Tried Old Navy, outlets, regular dept store malls and big box discounts. Seems like everything in stock is really thin, some nearly see through, doesn't have a nice hand or drape- overall a poor quality. They would not begin to keep me warm in our 40-50 degree winters or AC buildings in summer.

So is that the norm for the stores selling in warmer climates? For FL stores? Or is it the new norm for the whole US? Do those of you in colder climates have better quality T-shirts in your stores?

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
Wisconsin USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to SandiMacD <<

Date: 3/27/13 10:29 AM

Our regular T-shirts seem to be a good quality fabric. However if buying them packages like wearing for undershirts those seem a bit thinner. I wonder if the company makes any difference ... like Fruit of the Loom Vs. Hanes Vs generic brand ? DH prefers Fruit of the Loom brand name.
Maybe you will have to order them online? I wonder if Meijer Thrifty Acres has they are a northern based store chain & found out on another post they do sell online now. ???

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<
Meowy Christmas everyone!

Oh good, DH has now getting a nice part time job. Avg 20 hours a week.
The sewing workers:
Hello Kitty Kate (green), Hello Kitty Valerie, Dottie Kenmore, Bubba Kenmore the traveler.

Be still & know that I Am God +
Dear God...please help us out..Thank you..+

SunnyAlta
SunnyAlta
Intermediate
Member since 7/11/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/27/13 10:44 AM

I'm having a harder time finding decent quality t-shirts for DH. For colder months he needs a 50/50 blend & most stores seem to only sell 100% cotton. (In our area anyway.) Many of the new t-shirts are thinner & I've shopped local thrift stores on a reg. basis to locate what he's looking for.

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

In reply to SandiMacD <<

Date: 3/27/13 11:03 AM

Penneys line of Stafford tee shirts are a nice weight. They also offer the heavy weight ones online. Those would do nicely for your husband.

As for women's tee shirts, see through seems to be the norm---so I do not buy see through clothes.

------
Bernina 630, my much loved main machine
Bernina embroidery module
Pfaff 2036 my back up & travel machine
Babylock Molly, mechanical
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
Wisconsin USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to Learn To Sew <<

Date: 3/27/13 11:22 AM

Is Stafford a better quality than Fruit of the Loom , Learn? May be a good investment. ????

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<
Meowy Christmas everyone!

Oh good, DH has now getting a nice part time job. Avg 20 hours a week.
The sewing workers:
Hello Kitty Kate (green), Hello Kitty Valerie, Dottie Kenmore, Bubba Kenmore the traveler.

Be still & know that I Am God +
Dear God...please help us out..Thank you..+

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

In reply to tgm and Kittys <<

Date: 3/27/13 11:45 AM

We think so. These are the heavy weight ones for winter time.
tee shirts heavy

Rgeular weight, v neck preferred, size L.
tee shirts

They also carry everyday tee shirts for outerwear. Just in case I did not understand the question earlier.
outerwear

------
Bernina 630, my much loved main machine
Bernina embroidery module
Pfaff 2036 my back up & travel machine
Babylock Molly, mechanical
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

tlmck3
star
tlmck3
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 7/11/05
Send Message

Date: 3/27/13 2:12 PM

I noticed a couple of years ago that the Old Navy Tees were shockingly thin. So I went to Eddie Bauer. Surprise! Even those were shockingly thin, especially considering they were 4 times the price of the Old Navy Tees. I also ordered some from Banana Republic on-line, which I then returned because they were flimsy--and also so long over my hips that it was ridiculous. And I am not short. In addition to being thin, they all seem to be extremely long these days. Well over the hips which is not a good look on my more--ahem--"mature" figure.

I scour my neighborhood thrift stores for older Tees in pristine condition. It isn't easy but after a year or so dedicated to the search I have several. Many of them seem to be older Anne Taylor.

------
I am going for a level of perfection that is only mine... Most of the pleasure is in getting that last little piece perfect...Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just keep showing up and doing the work.

Chuck Close, painter, printmaker, photographer

Hope has two lovely daughters: Anger and Courage

St. Augustine

lareine
star
lareine  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 11/10/06
Send Message

Date: 3/27/13 4:14 PM

In winter (and in fact most of the year round) I wear t-shirts made of merino wool, not cotton. They're warm, wear and wash well, and layer well. I've given up on finding decent thick cotton in most shops.

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 3/27/13 4:23 PM

The quality of all brands has gone downhill, pricey and designer brands. I guess they can get away with it because it's the #1 top
everywhere and all ages. Also Fruit of the Loom and Hanes underwear have gone downhill. If only we could protest to mfgs. by going without, like we can with other buying choices....??!!
Hopefully Lulu with set off more protests.

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to lareine <<

Date: 3/27/13 5:37 PM

Quote:
In winter (and in fact most of the year round) I wear t-shirts made of merino wool, not cotton.

That sounds amazing! I don't think wool t-shirts exist in North America, or would be extremely hard to find anyway.

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Image: rosebush in the snow

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> T shirts in cold climates

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Vogue Patterns 8117

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Favorite Things Little Lounge Around Pattern

Favorite Things Little Lounge Around Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop San Francisco Coat Pattern

Sewing Workshop San Francisco Coat Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.