SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Spaces > Sewing room layout ( Moderated by Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Sewing room layout
Need help!
snuzal
star
snuzal
Intermediate
International NEW ZEALAND
Member since 7/7/07
Send Message

Date: 3/28/13 3:36 PM

I am seriously confused. I have my own sewing room, 4 machines (overlocker, sewing machine, embroidery, and coverstitch) so 2 L shape tables to accommodate these.
I also have a mammoth Horn cutting table, which I'd like to be able to keep at least one side out at all times, as we have a high pile carpet, so moving those heavy tables on it is a workout!
Horn Craft Plus cutting table

I also have my ironing board as well as a steam generating iron.

Does anyone know of any websites that will help design your room? Or even someone on here who is clever and wants to rearrange via computer for me LOL.

Currently I have 3 corners to the room (door is in 4th). The L shape tables create a U sort of shape in 2 corners, with a slight gap in the middle where my ironing board is. Then in the 3rd corner is my cutting table half out. I'm just not happy with it.

The black tables are where my machines are. the red is the ironing board.
The blue is the cutting table, and the solid yellow is the linen cupboard that juts into that room from the hallway
-- Edited on 3/28/13 3:45 PM --

------
Check my blog :)
http://snuzalsews.blogspot.com/

Juki Exceed F600, Babylock Imagine, Janome 300E.

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to snuzal <<

Date: 3/28/13 4:11 PM

What about your room isn't working for you? Designing a sewing room is rather personal as to how you work etc.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

snuzal
star
snuzal
Intermediate
Member since 7/7/07
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf <<

Date: 3/28/13 4:25 PM

everything really. I'm just not happy with it. the location of the ironing board especially. it juts out into the middle of the room and im forever kicking the bloody thing lol

------

SewRaeMe

SewRaeMe
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/20/08
Send Message

Date: 3/28/13 4:38 PM

I can relate to your dilemma as I just had to rearrange mine. One thing you might want to consider is getting/making an ironing pad to put on your cutting table. When you weren't using it you could just slide it beside or get one that will flip to a cutting board. This would help you to eliminate the ironing board in the middle of the room.
Also, wondering if you could butt the L's together on the short side making a "U" shape. Possibly turning them up against the wall on the right. Would there be room to run the cutting table down the side. I like to be able to move from machine to machine without getting out of my chair.
Having said all that, it looks fairly functional to me. Except for the ironing board of course.

------
Formerly The Canadian

Changma
star
Changma  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 2/20/12
Send Message

In reply to snuzal <<

Date: 3/28/13 5:20 PM

Where are your outlets? How big is the room and the furniture? I have some ideas, but they depend on the above questions.

Can you put the L shaped tables back to back so they form a T, short ends on the same wall they meet now, and slide them over to the left side of the room? Will the cutting table fit next to the T, with the ironing board along the linen cupboard? Just throwing ideas at ya.
-- Edited on 3/28/13 5:21 PM --

katlew03
starstarstar
katlew03  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 1/4/08
Send Message

Date: 3/28/13 7:06 PM

Are all you machines on at the same time? I don't like to have my expensive Diamond plugged into the same circuit as the iron, which draws a lot of electricity, even with a good surge protector. Therefore, I keep my ironing board in the bathroom next to my computer room (where my cutting board is located -- I am taking over the house ). It is a little inconvenient when I have to press a seam, but it does get me out of the chair and walking a few steps each time. Do you have space in a spare room or something where you could do that and take down the ironing board when you are not using it?

------
Sewn in 2012: 176.212 yds.
2013 Goal: 400 yds (again)
Total sewn in 2013 -- 225.848 yds.
Total yards in inventory 1/1/14 -- 1752.5
Goal for 2014 -- 400 yards (for the third time)

Machines: Designer Diamond, #1+, H Class 100Q, and Viking 400 Serger: 936

Sewinglady1947
Sewinglady1947
Advanced
Member since 4/28/08
Send Message

Date: 3/28/13 7:18 PM

I would move the ironing board and push the tables together and use a rolling chair between my machines. I would probably have a wall unit ironing board and a flat board for my table. I use my flat one on my table more than my ironing board. I also try to keep my iron unplugged when using my Vikings. However I am always changing my room to a new setup.

------
sewing grammy

snuzal
star
snuzal
Intermediate
Member since 7/7/07
Send Message

Date: 3/28/13 7:34 PM

The overlocker and sewing machine are on one table so I can switch between those quickly.
The embroidery machine and coverstitch are on the right hand table, so it's pretty rare I use those, maybe once a month for the coverstitch, more often obviously for the embroidery machine. How I've shown it there is quite seriously about the limit of the space, there's not much space anywhere else. I like the idea of taking the ironing board out and using the cutting table to press on. Need a bigger sewing room ;)
The idea of the tables back to back is actually quite good too.

------

simplystitches
simplystitches
New York USA
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

Date: 3/28/13 8:15 PM

I have a couple of suggestions.

Push the tables together and rotate so that the open towards the left where the L table is now. Move the ironing board to that wall. Cutting table stays where it is.

If there's not enough space between the tables and cutting table switch the ironing board and cutting table.

Even without dimensions I would kill for the space you have. I'm currently in a 8x9 room with 4 machines (yes 4) AND a washer/ dryer! I have to "spill" into the kitchen w/the cutting table and ironing board when I sew but it works for me!

Debbie

snuzal
star
snuzal
Intermediate
Member since 7/7/07
Send Message

In reply to simplystitches <<

Date: 3/28/13 8:32 PM

That's not a bad idea either.. I will get the hubby to have a play I think, He's going to kill me for it LOL

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Spaces >> Sewing room layout

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

New Look 6569

photo
by: Sheila457

Review
SewBaby "I Can Do It" Cloth Activity Book Pattern

SewBaby

Buy Now
Favorite Things Little Lounge Around Pattern

Favorite Things Little Lounge Around Pattern

Buy Now
BurdaStyle Magazine 08-2009-127

photo
by: Maree P

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.