SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Gathering long pieces of fabric? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Gathering long pieces of fabric?
ahrizel
star
ahrizel
Beginner
Member since 4/22/12
Send Message

Date: 3/29/13 1:56 PM

I'm going to be making a twirly tiered skirt-peasant type-and I'm running into an issue. I have to gather each tier onto the one above it. I've done gathering before-run a long basting stitch or two and gather away. Takes time, but I can do it. This skirt has me twitching. The layers are one WOF, then 2, then 4. And a ruffle that is 6 WOF. Should be nice a twirly. But I've done the math and that is a lot of fabric to gather evenly! Any suggestions to make it easier on me and for better results? I got a ruffler a few days ago, but haven't had time to make friends with it. And I have to finish the skirt in the next few days. Any ideas are much appreciated.
Mary

Sewandwrite
star
Sewandwrite  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maryland USA
Member since 5/16/08
online now
Send Message

In reply to ahrizel <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/29/13 4:24 PM

When I worked in a costume shop a loooong time ago, I had to attach an enormously long ruffle to a dress.

My shop manager gave me a ball of string. She showed me how to do a wide zigzag over the string, then gather the material. It worked really well.

I hear rufflers are great. But like you, I haven't had the occasion to make friends with the ones that came with my old black Singers.

Debbie Lancaster
star
Debbie Lancaster  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/02
Send Message

Date: 3/29/13 5:17 PM

Learn to use the ruffler. You will be amazed.

------
Debbie

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

In reply to ahrizel <<

Date: 3/29/13 5:56 PM

I also use the zig zag over a string method. You can use buttonhole thread or a light string or twine. I desperately would like to be able to use a ruffler. Story of my first big attempt on my blog

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

In reply to ahrizel <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 3/29/13 6:35 PM

Do you have a serger? It will gather and join in one fell swoop. Likely to have examples on youtube.

Advantage- very small learning curve; the machine does the work efficiently. You can work with your time constraint and not pull out your hair.

Disadvantage- less perfect than the tedious hand method. For a blouse/things near my face that are less yardage, I fuss by hand. Also, the tier ends will be stepped and need trimming. With multiple WOF, the slight shrinkage trimmed off won't notice.

You're working on gobs of fabric that are from the waist down. Anyone peering too closely down there- give 'em a smack! Good luck.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

EleanorSews
star
EleanorSews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 7/26/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

In reply to ahrizel <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 3/29/13 7:05 PM

Get to know the ruffler foot. It doesn't take long. Also follow this link the Ruffler... Unruffled

It is an amazing pdf instruction book for using the ruffler and how to adjust it to get the correct ratio of ruffle to amount of fabric. So very useful. Can't even begin to tell you what a resource the link was for me.

------
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

"Attitude is the difference between an adventure and an ordeal." unknown

ahrizel
star
ahrizel
Beginner
Member since 4/22/12
Send Message

Date: 3/29/13 10:41 PM

Thanks for the responses. I don't have a serger yet. I have actually read the ruffler tutorial that was suggested. It's by Carla C, otherwise known as the Scientific Seamstress. I have several of her patterns and she writes wonderful instructions for them. I'm going to play with the ruffler again tonight and see if I can get it to behave. If not, it's the zig zag over string method. The cording foot should help a lot with that. Here's hoping I can get the ruffler to work.
Mary

Sew4Fun
starstarstarstar
Sew4Fun
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 6/23/04
Send Message

In reply to ahrizel <<

Date: 3/30/13 0:11 AM

I also use the zig-zag over a long piece of crochet cotton method. It works a treat and is a hundred times faster than the basting stitch method. Of coruse the ruffler is also great but if you aren't friends yet the string method is quick and easy.

------
Belinda. Melbourne, Australia
http://sew-4-fun.blogspot.com/

ahrizel
star
ahrizel
Beginner
Member since 4/22/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/1/13 12:33 PM

Well I tried the ruffler again and I think I have the wrong ruffler for my machine. It's a snap on, which is fine, but it keeps coming unsnapped. Time to return that one. But I'm doing the skirt today, I have to, time crunch issues. So I tried using the cording foot over perle cotton on some long scrap pieces. Wow, is that easier and faster! The cotton thread is just what I had on hand, I'm sure other things work well too. I'm going to get a different ruffler too, it's just an hour away to return it which isn't going to happen for a week or so. The samples I got with the ruffler before it kept coming off looked nice and I sew for girls regularly so it would be handy to have. But the help has been appreciated. Thanks
Mary

Quickie
star
Quickie
NETHERLANDS
Member since 10/8/10
Send Message

Date: 4/1/13 3:37 PM

With the serger you can indeed make gathers and sew to the higher part. You need a special pressure foot for that.The problem is that you must, in my view find out by trial and error how wide each tear is going to be., a nd that depends on the fabric you use. When I do gather with the conventional sewing machine I devide the machine-basting lines into 4 or even 8 parts where i stop , break the thread and begin again. That makes it all much better to handle. Wish you success .

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Gathering long pieces of fabric?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Simplicity 7012 vintage

photo
by: Sunkissedj...

Review
TAILORED JACKET - A CD Book by Kenneth King

TAILORED JACKET - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Buy Now
Sew Chic Phantom Jacket and Pant Pattern (ln1106)

Sew Chic Phantom Jacket and Pant Pattern (ln1106)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.