SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Pattern for panties/ladies underwear that uses woven fabrics? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Pattern for panties/ladies underwear that uses woven fabrics?
panties, petti pants, underthings, underwear, etc
MasoumaRose
star
MasoumaRose
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

Date: 3/30/13 4:32 PM

Does any one know of a pattern for women's underwear/panties that use woven fabrics instead of knits?

I'm thinking of briefs, pettipants, ladystyle boxers (I haven't seen these to wear under skirts and dresses), garments to wear on the lower half of my body..

I'm going though my fabric stash and I have a collection of woven pieces that are leftover from blouses or other projects that are too small for blouses, but they might work for underthings. I have already developed a pattern for knit panties (based on KwikSew pattern).

All suggestions and comments are welcome.

thanks!

Rose

------
Needles Pins Thorns (my sewing blog)
needlespinsthorns.blogspot.com

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/04
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/30/13 5:44 PM

Kwik Sew 2589

This pattern is designed for woven fabrics and includes shorts, chemise, and camisole. I'm guessing that the camisole and chemise are cut on the bias.

Vintage patterns for pettipants aren't too difficult to find, but almost all of them are designed for knits like nylon tricot. For pettipants for wovens, search for patterns for bloomers like these. I most often see this type of pattern for sale on web sites that sell patterns for modest clothing.

However, if you have any patterns for pajamas in your pattern stash, then you can modify a pattern for pajama bottoms to make woven pettipants or bloomers or whatever we want to call them. (These are actually quite comfy under skirts and dresses in the summer.)

CMC

Margriet
Margriet
Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 8/11/06
Send Message

Date: 3/30/13 6:08 PM

Kwik Sew 2325 has a pair of panties that is designed for lightweight woven fabrics. It comes with a camisole and robe as well. I considered buying the pattern but was not sure how hot woven panties might be in Texas weather.
Sorry, I can't be of much more help. I read obsessively about sewing and collect patterns and books and notions, and have all the equipment, but have not sewn a garment yet. Maybe this will be the year of a change for me. Wish me luck!

rmusic1
starstar
rmusic1
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/3/10
Send Message

Date: 3/30/13 6:50 PM

I've made a pair of knickers using a woven fabric. Initially a bit of a disaster as I could hardly get them past my hips as there wasn't any stretch! having said that, I was able to salvage them using stretch lace side panels. The review is here if you would like more details.

The pattern in question is for fuller coverage than most modern knickers - but this may be to your advantage for a woven fabric. At any rate, worth trying with stretch fabric inserts and see if it works!

tlmck3
star
tlmck3
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 7/11/05
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 3/30/13 7:06 PM

Vogue 8888

I was actually looking for an old, OP Vogue that I have in my stash but this one came up right away.

------
I am going for a level of perfection that is only mine... Most of the pleasure is in getting that last little piece perfect...Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just keep showing up and doing the work.

Chuck Close, painter, printmaker, photographer

Hope has two lovely daughters: Anger and Courage

St. Augustine

KathleenS
starstar
KathleenS  Friend of PR
Intermediate
International AUSTRALIA
Member since 11/18/02
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 3/30/13 7:54 PM

The Makers Journal (I haven't tried them).

Folkwear Intimacies (I really like the slip pattern, but haven't tried the bottoms.)

Other than that I would suggest looking at vintage patterns too.

Edited to add: I have however made up the KwikSew pattern 2589 that CM_Sews mentions, and can confirm that all three pieces are cut on the bias. I liked the shorts.

-- Edited on 3/30/13 8:01 PM --

RMJ
star
RMJ  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/14/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 3/30/13 8:22 PM

The French knickers partway down this page are for wovens.
Vera Venus French Knickers

I've also made woven silk panties by cutting them a lot wider than I would cut a knit, and cutting on the bias.
-- Edited on 3/30/13 8:27 PM --

SheBear0320
starstar
SheBear0320  Friend of PR
Advanced
Manitoba Canada
Member since 4/8/08
Send Message

Date: 3/31/13 0:53 AM

Kwik Sew's Beautiful Lingerie book has one panties pattern for woven fabric -- also have a couple of cami patterns for wovens.

------
Sheila
"sewing very slowly to fill an empty closet"

2014 Stash Busting Sew-Along:
102.875 yards sewn (as of 12/14/14)
145.125 yards purchased (as of 12/14/14)

lareine
star
lareine  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 11/10/06
Send Message

Date: 3/31/13 2:36 AM

I had great ideas of using left over bits of silky fabric to make underwear, but was genuinely shocked by how much fabric those undies can take. I'm on the large size of average but was really taken aback by how much fabric gets used up. All the lovely French knickers I'd imagined have just not happened because my scraps just aren't that big.

petro
starstarstar
petro  Friend of PR
Advanced
France
Member since 6/24/07
Send Message

In reply to lareine <<

Date: 3/31/13 3:29 AM

They do indeed take quite a bit of fabric, no stretch so the pieces are quite large. Usually at least the back piece gets cut on the bias too.

------
http://patternpandemonium.wordpress.com/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Pattern for panties/ladies underwear that uses woven fabrics?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Butterick B4976

photo
by: Sheila457

Review
Christine Jonson Easy Coat

Christine Jonson Easy Coat

Buy Now
Favorite Things The Lunch Bag Pattern

Favorite Things The Lunch Bag Pattern

Buy Now
BurdaStyle Magazine 12-2012-119

photo
by: sewingsvet...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.