SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Need Advice on Buying New Machine ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Need Advice on Buying New Machine
pameward
pameward
Member since 4/1/13
Send Message

Date: 4/1/13 6:34 PM

I have a Singer machine that is almost 40 years old. I have sewn since I was 12 and made most of my clothes until I had kids...boys and so I did not sew for them. Have spent the last 20 years just sewing tears and rips. Now I have a granddaughter and would like to get a new machine. Her mother would like me to do embroidery/monogramming which is fine with me. Although money is not really an object, I will not spend $8-9K for a machine as I don't expect to live long enough to get my money's worth! I looked at the Dreamweaver XE. Is this a good medium machine? Is there one less expensive that is just as good? What suggestions can you give me on what to look for and what you would recommend purchasing? I do not have a Husquavarna dealer by me so would rather not get that brand. I am going to need a lot of lessons so I want to make sure I have a good support system locally. Thanks much!

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 4/1/13 7:06 PM

How exciting, and congrats on getting a new machine! I think a Brother Dreamweaver would be an excellent choice. I tested the sewing only version and really liked it.
It has a huge sewing bed, and I just loved the way it sewed. Many people like the pen and the laser stuff, but I didn't get to demo any of that.
I would go and sit and play with it for sure. If you have a good Brother dealer, then yes, you must go for a test drive. Brother is known for supplying lots of goodies with the machine. And, then you'll want to know about software. But, this machine can do lots of stuff where you won't even need software to get started. There is the Babylock version too - the Crescendo I believe it's called. Those are about the same, though the BL will come with a few minor differences.

What other dealers do you have near you? Do you have a Pfaff dealer who is good? There is the Pfaff Creative Performance everyone is raving about. Cost is around $4500 to $5,000 with large embroidery unit, maybe less with the small unit. I think that's competitive with the Brother machine.
Good luck, and report back what you think after testing some machines!

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

missthreads
missthreads
Expert/Couture
Ohio USA
Member since 2/14/13
Send Message

In reply to pameward <<

Date: 4/1/13 7:07 PM

Hi Pam,
Do you live near a Babylock dealer? Or is that the same? I don't know who makes what machines anymore. Please forgive me for being so dumb here.
Babylock makes a wonderful sewing/embroidery machine for about $1200.00. It's the Sophia. I know of 2 ladies in my church who have this machine and LOVE IT. Check it out on line...... and good luck.

------
This is me with 2 of my 4 GK's.

sewinggeek
star
sewinggeek  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Colorado USA
Member since 1/26/06
Send Message

Date: 4/1/13 11:34 PM

The Babylock Sophia is a great machine, but to do monograms it would be better to have at least a 5x7 hoop size.

If I had the money, I would buy a Dreamweaver in a flash. I think it is a terrific machine.

PattiH

------
PattiH
Brother 4000D, Brother 650Q, Brother 1034D, Kenmore 117-841, Kenmore 158-1040, Franklin, Singers: 15-91, 66, 221

speattle
speattle
Expert/Couture
Member since 2/10/11
Send Message

In reply to pameward <<

Date: 4/2/13 0:48 AM

If you have a granddaughter, you will appreciate that the Brother you mentioned comes preloaded with a bunch of disney designs and you can add more from ibroidery.com. You can't do disney on the baby lock version.

BTW, I kind of chuckled at the Dreamweaver being a "medium" machine. It is one of the TOL machines and a very cool one at that!

I hope you get it and have a lot of fun with it.

------
Elna Lotus TSP, Singer 503a-Rocketeer, Brother Innovis 1250D, Pfaff Passport 2.0, Kenmore 10-Stitch, Centennial Singer Featherweight from 1950

Artsewer
Artsewer  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 3/2/11
online now
Send Message

Date: 4/2/13 1:04 AM

I dont know anything about the Brother Dream Weaver, cost etc. You may want to look for a recently discontinued Bernina 630 or 635 with an embroidery module. I know one of my local dealers is selling it brand new for 3999. I have this machine and it is great and it does a beautiful job embroidering. The largest hoop in width is 5.5 inches. Great for monograms and a decent size for embroidering. Also you have to factor in embroidery software. Some machines have more built in software to manipulate designs while others have less and you would rely on purchased software. Happy hunting.

------
Bernina 780, 635E, 1630
Serger 1100DC

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

In reply to Artsewer <<

Date: 4/2/13 8:21 AM

There is a Bernina 640 on ebay right now for $1700. Doesn't come with the embroidery module but I imagine one could get one from a dealer.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

Date: 4/2/13 11:34 AM

A good quality choice would be the BabyLock Ellure Plus or it's twin, the Innov-ís 1250D, which has Disney designs built-in. Neither model would break the bank.

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

In reply to lgrande <<

Date: 4/2/13 2:06 PM

Yes, it's killing me, it's in Chicago. I love my 630 so much...

I already have a 9mm machine, I already have 3 actually, I don't need another machine...

Is it gone yet?

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

In reply to Maia B <<

Date: 4/2/13 4:19 PM

i guess I should tell that it's gone and put you out of your misery but last time I looked it was still there.
There's another one also that has 4 millions stitches, no embroidery, and they want a minimum bid of $2299. What's up with that? (It is the anniversary edition, for what that's worth.)

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Need Advice on Buying New Machine

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Class Details

Online Class
Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Class Details

BurdaStyle Magazine 04-2008-116

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
Other Desmond Jacket

photo
by: froggiegir...

Review
Margo Handbag

Margo Handbag

More Info
Veronica Pocketbook

Veronica Pocketbook

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.