SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Ah, to make or to buy?? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Ah, to make or to buy??
That is the question
JennaF
star
JennaF
Intermediate
Member since 5/10/10
Send Message

Date: 4/2/13 7:01 PM

With warmer weather finally arriving, I thought it would be fun to make my 2 year old DD a wardrobe "collection". A few tops & bottoms that she can mix & match. Her favorite pants are usually busy prints & those are hard to find RTW, but quilting cottons are abundantly available (though maybe not a great choice for pants).

So I started fabric shopping and gosh, after all is said and done I wouldn't really be saving a lot of money (if you compare it to Kohls or...dare I say it...Walmart). However, looking at these collections which I'd never, ever buy...I'd save a bundle.

The patterns I'm looking at getting are from indie designers, too, so they are more expensive than your usual .99

------
http://www.seamstressintraining.blogspot.com

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 4/2/13 7:06 PM

I see nothing wrong in buying play clothes at WM and making the outfits for special occasions.

Kids grow out of their clothing too fast to invest, and little sister or brother do not like hand-me-downs.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

wenznz
star
wenznz  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 7/8/11
Send Message

Date: 4/2/13 8:53 PM

I do a bit of both for my boys - buy and sew.
I tend to buy their t-shirts but make most of their pants, particularly for my older son who doesn't fit most store bought ones.

Perhaps you could do something similar - make the fun patterned items your daughter likes but purchase the basic tees etc. to co-ordinate with them.

------
Wendy
Wellington, New Zealand

plumfan
star
plumfan  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 1/8/13
Send Message

Date: 4/2/13 8:59 PM

I'm with wenznz - make the fun stuff that's hard to find in RTW and buy the easy stuff.

I just made a long sleeve standard white T for my daughter to wear under her new Dora sundress, but only because I already had the fabric leftover from another project. If I hadn't, I'd have just bought one.

Thanks for that website, btw. I've bookmarked it for inspiration.

------
Stash in as of Feb. 1, 2014 - 43
2014 Items finished for me - 12
2014 Items for others - 9
Approximate yardage used - 40

tinflutterby
tinflutterby  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 8/9/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/3/13 0:55 AM

Kids clothes are also a great place to try new sewing embellishment skills. Then I didn't feel so bad about not saving money on the making.

arianamaniacs
starstarstarstar
arianamaniacs  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 6/11/04
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 4/3/13 2:46 AM

I agree. Unless your children are in between sizes or hard to fit, go with the Walmart basics. Then you can supplement these with your own creations. Be careful, you may find that making a collection for a 2 year old means that she'll outgrow it before you're done with the collection :)

------
Halloween is coming

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 4/4/13 4:23 AM

I think sewing for wee ones makes more sense when they can be passed around family siblings or cousins- they outgrow so quick. PJs are an exception, lots of elasticc and pant hems can be made deep for let down.
I sew mostly pants for my GS as he is do hard to fit.
I used to sew a special item- top or dress, for picture day, it got captured and I still smile to look at them wearing what I made.
But being on a budget is part of life and RTW can help there.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 4/4/13 10:03 AM

Jenna - I would sew for my kids when I had cheap or free fabric (stash, handed down or upcycling old clothes) and if there was something special I wanted to make that I couldn't find or afford to buy. And when I did go out and get fabric especially for a pattern, I would keep in mind that I could make bibs, burp cloths, pillow cases etc from the scraps, so the actual garment was actually "cheaper" than the full cost of the fabric.

And you have reminded me that I still have a piece of striped denim that I got handed down to me to make stuff for my son when he was a baby and he is 32 now! He got several pairs of overalls and at least one light jacket out of that freebie.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

GoSewGirl
GoSewGirl  Friend of PR
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 4/14/04
Send Message

Date: 4/4/13 10:23 AM

I agree with everyone here.

My first response is to say don't spend the time or money sewing the everyday basics for your kids. They grow too fast!! You don't save money, it takes a lot of time, and there are great, cute, inexpensive everyday kids clothes to be found easily.

But of course if you WANT to, go right ahead. The upside is that kid's clothes are fun to make and usually easy to fit. Sometimes it can be a cost savings, but more often it's just for the fun of it and making something that's extra special or customized for them, whether using a favorite fabric or print or a special embroidery.

------
Liz

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

In reply to JennaF <<

Date: 4/4/13 11:38 AM

I only made special occasion clothing for my dd when she was young. It was easy to find things I liked and could afford, while sewing for myself was much more cost effective. Use your time wisely and buy those everyday play clothes.

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Ah, to make or to buy??

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Class Details

Online Class
Leather 101
Leather 101

Class Details

Butterick 5613

photo
by: Jessamaka

Review
New Look 6150

photo
by: imsewcrazy

Review
Jamie Christina Hooded Scarf Pattern (JC307HS)

Jamie Christina Hooded Scarf Pattern (JC307HS)

More Info
Sewing Workshop L2 Bag Pattern

Sewing Workshop L2 Bag Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.