Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Quilters' Corner > Modern Quilting ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Modern Quilting
quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MD
Member since 12/15/02
Login to reply to this post

Date: 4/3/13 9:59 AM

I've been listening to podcasts, reading blogs and got a few books out of the library about this "modern" quilt movement. There is even a nationwide Modern quilt guild. It seems a lot of the difference is color and how it's used. A lot of white backgrounds etc. Not a lot of traditional applique methods. I guess I'm getting old, but not liking it too much. There are some other differences also that I just can't put my finger on. I like my batiks, marbles etc. I know it's only a small portion of the quilt world but I've been so exposed to it lately. I have to say I saw very little if any at all at the quilt show I recently went to. I guess it's just the young people trying to make something their own of something that is seeped in tradition. And if that is what has to happen to keep this art alive then so be it.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
LA
Member since 8/24/02

In reply to quiltingwolf <<

Date: 4/3/13 10:03 AM

I guess if DD wanted a modern quilt for her room I'd attempt it. But she already has two traditional quilts, and doesn't want another. I think they can look great in a baby's through teens room too. Or if your decor is modern. Mine is not, so I'll never go there for my own home.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

fabrictherapy
fabrictherapy  Friend of PR
Advanced
GA USA
Member since 12/22/10

Date: 4/3/13 10:13 AM

I think that using the brights, geometrics, bold colors and solids with tradtional blocks can be striking and attention grabbing. If it brings more quilters into this craft that may have started out in the "modern" movement, they may develop an appreciation or liking for more tradtional quilting as they grow into this art form. I started out doing my own thing, and really lately have been drawn into more traditional looking pieces. I still adore my batiks and funky fabrics, and I don't think I will ever give up that love.

AminaHijabi
AminaHijabi
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/22/10

Date: 4/3/13 10:21 AM

What is the difference between a "modern" quilt and a "traditional" quilt?

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MD
Member since 12/15/02

In reply to SouthernStitch <<

Date: 4/3/13 10:23 AM

On my facebook page I liked the site "Why quilts Matter" the people who did the series. And they talked to someone about the future of quilting and ask do you go for visual beauty above craftmanship? See below

My Webpage

I'm not saying that modern quilters don't value craftmanship, however I don't believe it's as important to them as it used to be to people who started quilting 20 years ago. It's more about how it looks. I see that in many things. Project Runway is a good example. Half the people can hardly even sew. It's like doesn't matter how it got there but how it looks. Some of the sewing techniques I've seen modern quilters use I kinda of cringe, sometimes because I wish I could be that free. But some things are just tradition and to me that's the way it's done period. And maybe this point of view comes from the fashion sewer in me. As I started sewing clothes in the 70's and perfection in clothing was important to me as I loved clothes. I was a clothes horse until I couldn't afford to be any longer, (first child etc.). I think that's why perfection thing for me in quilting never quite goes away or that "your supposed to do it this way". But I've gotten alot better.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06

thumbsup 2 members like this.
Date: 4/3/13 10:24 AM

I like the fresh, modern, contemporary quilts. For one thing, it is attracting a younger crowd.

Occasionally this type of quilting is shown on TV programs, It's Sew Easy and Quilting Arts.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

sewme47
star
sewme47
Intermediate
IL USA
Member since 8/28/08

Date: 4/3/13 10:28 AM

The Modern Quilt Guild has a nice definition of what makes a modern quilt. It's all about aesthetics. Think of a house decorated in what would be considered traditional style, and one that would be more modern. Which would you rather live in?....it's purely a matter of personal preference, right?, and LOTS of people enjoy touches of both.

Same with quilting. There's no right or wrong! I love looking at all types of quilts, including antique, pictorial, art, traditional, African, Celtic, regional American, landscape, Amish, whole cloth, and modern, to name just a few. I will continue to sew my humble lap quilts, but it sure is fun to see what others have done and to appreciate each unique work.

------
A balanced diet is a cupcake in each hand.

LuceLu
star
LuceLu  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NY USA
Member since 8/4/06

Date: 4/3/13 10:35 AM

Modern quilts often use solid fabrics (kind of like Amish quilts do) and have a wide use of negative space, are often assymmetrical in design, utilizing different sized moduler units; they don't necessarily get hung up on the quilting stitch design--very often just parallel lins or grids (not many feathers there), don't necessarily use borders, often feature pieced backs. It seems more cost effective-- one can purchase a small amount of expensive quilting fabric and use inexpensive broadcloth for the rest; often will use a sampler pack from one design line. At least those are things I've noticed. The price for quilting cotton has gone up so much that I'm happy to see that people have found ways to keep getting into the hobby.

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VT USA
Member since 8/14/05

Date: 4/3/13 11:32 AM

Modern Quilts are more streamlined looking, as in modern home decoration. They conjure up the Crate and Barrel look with clean lines, muted colors or bright colors, but in interesting patterns and so on. I love Mid-Century Modern, and what is sometimes called Contemporary Modern Design in home decor, and these quilts follow that sort of pattern. No fru-fru flowery baroque sorts of things. BUT, I like them all. I subscribe to Modern Quilts Unlimited and both the magazines from here are EXCELLENT, and good for both long-armers and regular home quilters on standard sewing machines. I look at the pictures and dream.

Modern Quilts Unlimited
-- Edited on 4/3/13 11:34 AM --

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

bakertoo
bakertoo
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 12/26/08

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 4/3/13 11:36 AM

I'm not young, in fact today is my birthday!
And I love what you call the "Modern" quilts. I can also appreciate the beauty and artistic elements of the traditional quilts. Any quilt takes effort and vision to imagine, put the fabrics you love together, envision who may be using it, and even if not for use as a comforter, but also the audience who will enjoy it visually. I have friend who feels that a quilt is not a true quilt if any part of it is done on a machine, and I have yet to see any quilts done by her! I will never figure that out!
It seems to me it is the same kind of question that occurred when the "modern" art movement began. If the piece didn't have something recognizable in it, and was abstract, it couldn't be art. Even the moment when quilts were presented as "art" was controversial, and of course it was men who viewed "quilting" as some kind of craft that wasn't worthy of the label "ART". Anything that is new, and draws on the past is always suspect, whether it is music, art, technology, medicine.
I hope you didn't start this thread to get the "modern" quilt group all riled up! Just being young and perceived as having no experience or interest in the traditional or "old " quilts doesn't mean they will come to understand the beauty and real value of quilting by being told that traditional quilting is "real" quilting. I think it is taking the art form and craft of quilting on more step forward in creativity, not just laziness of vision and lack of ability.
-- Edited on 4/3/13 11:44 AM --
-- Edited on 4/3/13 11:47 AM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Modern Quilting

Merchants on PR
Sewn Square One
Patterns for Your Style.
Web site
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fee: $39.99
(Regular $39.99)
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Online Sewing Classes
The Contemporary Couture Jacket
Fee: $49.00
(Regular $49.00)
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Simplicity 1653
photo
Review by stonecutte... on 7/7/13
Read Review

Oliver + S Pinwheel tunic + slip dress Digital Pattern ( Size 6m-4T )
Oliver + S Pinwheel tunic + slip dress Digital Pattern ( Size 6m-4T )

Details
Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Angela Wolf The Fringe Skirt Digital Pattern (Print at Copyshop)
Angela Wolf The Fringe Skirt Digital Pattern (Print at Copyshop)

Details
Price: $12.99
Add to Bag Add to Bag

StyleArc Emma Top
photo
Review by Danvillegi... on 4/15/12
Read Review

DRESS LINES - A CD Book by Kenneth King
DRESS LINES - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Details
Price: $19.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sewn Square One Swing Shift Pattern
Sewn Square One Swing Shift Pattern

Details
Price: $12.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 1355 Pattern ( Size XXS-XS-S-M-L-XL-XXL )
Simplicity 1355 Pattern ( Size XXS-XS-S-M-L-XL-XXL )

Details
Price: $16.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sewaholic Patterns Belcarra Blouse
Sewaholic Patterns Belcarra Blouse

Details
Price: $15.98
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN