SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Machine Wash Cold, Hang to Dry?? ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Machine Wash Cold, Hang to Dry??
M.S.
star
M.S.
Intermediate
Member since 3/6/09
Send Message

Date: 4/5/13 3:20 PM

I've been noticing most of Joann Fabrics bolts say to avoid the dryer. This is upsetting to me. One of the reasons I sew our clothing is to preshrink the fabric before cutting out. Then I can launder everything easily. I don't want clothes hanging around, drying all over our house. Do you just ignore the instructions?? I have a feeling it's junky fabric & I've also noticed a trend in country of manufacture.

Thoughts?

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to M.S. <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/5/13 3:35 PM

Another reason to shop online for fabric. I can't recall the last time I bought fabric at Joann's; so long ago that I did a recent review and couldn't remember if I bought the fabric there.

You're right--it's getting junky. I think the washing instructions are such that the dyes in the fabric will bleed if you don't do as they say.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Rhey
Rhey
Intermediate
Member since 6/26/11
Send Message

In reply to M.S. <<

Date: 4/5/13 3:52 PM

It depends on what it's made of. It might bleed or pill, both hallmarks of lesser fabrics. If the fabrics you like are all similar in weave and content, you could buy a yard or a half yard (not sure how small Joanns sells, do they do swatches?) with a coupon, wash and dry it a couple times your way and see what happens.

M.S.
star
M.S.
Intermediate
Member since 3/6/09
Send Message

In reply to Miss Fairchild <<

Date: 4/5/13 4:16 PM

Amen about shopping online! I went in there for some thread, buttons, etc. Decided to have a look at fabrics. Brought home 2 pcs for dd's leggings. She's needing a little over a yard, now & some of my online knit sources sell in 1 yd increments, only. I think the last time I bought in there, I got really mad about how something washed up! Here's hoping history doesn't repeat this time.

KiwiWendy
starstarstar
KiwiWendy
Advanced
International AUSTRALIA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to M.S. <<

Date: 4/5/13 6:27 PM

If I used a dryer it would bother me, but I'm lucky to live in a climate where I don't need one.

I always pre-treat a fabric the way I'm going to care for it later on, so there are no suprises. I'd rather know before I put in the sewing work if it's going to bleed or pill or change hand dramatically.

------
Sydney, Australia

M.S.
star
M.S.
Intermediate
Member since 3/6/09
Send Message

In reply to KiwiWendy <<

Date: 4/5/13 8:56 PM

You are lucky to not need a dryer! I wish I was allowed to have a clothesline, outside. We had one growing up, and I miss the smell of outdoor fresh clothing.

tinflutterby
tinflutterby  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 8/9/11
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 4/6/13 1:35 AM

I don't think it has anything to do with the fabric. If someone comes in and says it shrunk when I washed it they can say you didn't follow the directions. If they thought they could they would probably say dry clean only. A lot of RTW do but I haven't found that it's always necessary.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to M.S. <<

Date: 4/6/13 2:21 AM

I'm still buying fabric at Joann's but had not noticed that yet, but even though I look at the bolt ends for fabric content and price, I think I most times I actually don't look at or pay any attention to any washing directions on there. Which means I'm washing most of it in the washing machine still and also tossing most of it, in the clothes dryer too.

Normally I think if something fabric yardage says wash cold water, and line dry, and it's not wool or silk, that means it might have some issues with shrinking, cotton or half cotton, but if you shrink it first, before sewing it up, then not so much. Also all polyester just does not shrink most times. There is some very thin and drapey polyester chiffon kind of "silky fabric" there though, that I have bought and also never looked at the care instructions, and I could kind of see why not to throw that into a dryer or washer with a bunch of other clothes, just because the zippers in pants or such might catch and pull on it or such. Or the metal zippers or zipper pulls of some other clothes might even be able to get hot enough in the dryer to soften or melt though it even. All by it's self in the dryer, and not left in there too long and "over cooked" though, past it's melting point, I think it might still be fine in there though.

What kinds of fabric are you seeing those more "new kind" of care directions on? I do think no matter what it is or where it comes from, fabric or a made up RTW garment, it is always much safer and a "CYA" kind of thing, if anyone can just more "get a way with" even just sticking and labeling anything "Dry Clean Only" on something often. Even if most times, it could be washed in a certain way.

KiwiWendy
starstarstar
KiwiWendy
Advanced
International AUSTRALIA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to M.S. <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/6/13 2:45 AM

I used on when I lived in London, but here in Sydney even in what passes for winter I manage without a dryer. Though i don't have kids so that may make a difference.

------
Sydney, Australia

sewsally
star
sewsally  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 8/18/02
Send Message

Date: 4/6/13 10:16 AM

I would wash it gentle cycle and damp dry in the dryer a couple of times to preshrink.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Machine Wash Cold, Hang to Dry??

Merchants on PR

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

McCall's 6331

photo
by: mskellytay...

Review
BurdaStyle Magazine 05-2011-108

photo
by: nicegirl

Review
Sew Liberated Aida Top Pattern

Sew Liberated Aida Top Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Brynna Dress Pattern

Sew Liberated Brynna Dress Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.