SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > OMG I Can't Breathe! ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
OMG I Can't Breathe!
Bought a serger
kowgiirl.up
kowgiirl.up
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 12/28/12
Send Message

thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 4/5/13 6:52 PM

I am totally freaking out! I just pulled the trigger on a new serger. $900 bucks is a lot of money for me to spend right now. OMG! OMG! I can't believe I did it. I think I'm going to pass out Someone throw a bucket of water on me PLEASE!
I'm so darn scared that I will hate this machine. I've been wanting a serger of my own for forever. I think I have read almost every review on them.
I hope I am not the only one that has freaked out when buying a darn sewing machine.
I guess I should say what I bought but I will say it really fast so hopefully I won't freak out again.
I bought a Juki MO 735 that was one of those package deals and used a 100 bucks off coupon I found on the net.

I think I'll go lay down now.......

-- Edited on 4/5/13 6:53 PM --
-- Edited on 4/5/13 10:22 PM --

------
Runs with scissors
Universal Deluxe Zig Zag from the 60's
Singer Quantum Stylist 9960
Singer Treadle 127 Egyptian
Juki MO 735

lelliebunny
star
lelliebunny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/24/12
Send Message

In reply to kowgiirl.up <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 4/5/13 6:55 PM

congrats, and i can tell you for a fact that you are not the only one that freaked out when buying a SM. :)

------
it doesn't matter what type of sewing you do. you are sewing, and sewing is good.

schmammy
star
schmammy  Friend of PR
Texas USA
Member since 12/5/06
Send Message

In reply to lelliebunny <<

Date: 4/5/13 6:59 PM

Amen!

------
Indecision may or may not be my problem. -Jimmy Buffet

http://chihuahuaonmylap.blogspot.com/

Changma
star
Changma  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 2/20/12
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 4/5/13 7:12 PM

Lay down? LAY DOWN ? Oh, for heavens sake, go play already. And if it's not there yet to play with, start getting all your notions and fabrics and patterns together so you can use it as soon as you get it!

Congratulations!
-- Edited on 4/5/13 7:12 PM --

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/5/13 7:14 PM

Congratulations! Freaking out is totally optional, But you made a nice decision. I love my Juki serger. Solid, quiet, beautiful stitches and handles all kind of fabrics.

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/5/13 7:25 PM

Oh my goodness! You certainly have chutzpah! You go, Girl! And get the book out and start playing with it. You know, once you make it your friend, the fear will go away...

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

thumbsup 8 members like this.

Date: 4/5/13 7:41 PM

honey ...if you sew, you need a serger, just how it is.

(PS...I did not mean to sound abrupt...but in most anything we do in life it costs money...I was just trying to overcome your heart palpitations and bring reason into the picture. Sewing...you need a serger, you need a sm, you need fabric, you need thread, you need needles...just the fact ...unless you don't sew...then you don't need any of it)
-- Edited on 4/5/13 10:21 PM --

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 4/5/13 8:44 PM

I understand completely. I'm sure I'll need a nap when I finally replace the serger that I bought in '07, used very little, then gave away because I just didn't bond with it. It might even be tomorrow. Heck, just thinking about it makes me tired.

Kudos to you on making a decision, sounds like a good one. Warbler has that serger, and she's a smart cookie.

I'm a sewing machine person, sergers, not so much.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

allorache
allorache  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 12/10/11
Send Message

Date: 4/5/13 10:05 PM

I have a different model but am loving learning what a serger will do. I'm sure you will too. I concur with the advice to go play and have some fun!

------
New Ovation!! Now a Babylock girl almost all the way - Ellegante 3, Evolution, and Melody. Plus a Sailrite LSZ-1 for those heavy duty projects

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

In reply to Changma <<
thumbsup 9 members like this.

Date: 4/5/13 10:18 PM

You must be up from your nap by now? I say go do something with your serger straight away that your sewing machine can't do. Make yourself a rolled hem scarf- it's pretty much immediate gratification.

Dig out some soft drapey woven or even a knit jersey. You'll need it to run the width of the fabric and to be about 12" or so in the other way. I always start wider than 12"and experiment with a rolled hem till it looks good. If not, then a narrow 3-thread is a great finish too. For a knit, stretch as you go if you want a lettuce edge. The Differential Feed will help you, but for now not necessary.

In no time at all you'll have a new scarf. Put it on immediately and dance around your new machine with your scarf wafting along. You look fabulous darling!

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> OMG I Can't Breathe!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Class Details

Online Class
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Class Details

Burda 7625

photo
by: Anne Cherr...

Review
Sew Chic Clara Bow Apron Pattern (ln102)

Sew Chic Clara Bow Apron Pattern (ln102)

More Info
Petite Plus Patterns Yoked Blouse

Petite Plus Patterns Yoked Blouse

More Info
Simplicity 3626

photo
by: PostMuse

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.