Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Sewing Machines > Pfaff Creative Vision 5.0/5.5 upgraded-FMQ woes ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Pfaff Creative Vision 5.0/5.5 upgraded-FMQ woes
FMQ-issues
JR84
JR84
Intermediate
MI USA
Member since 4/6/13
Login to reply to this post

Date: 4/6/13 11:59 PM

I have owned my Pfaff Creative Vision for 5 years...ever since I purchased it brand new. Of course I went through the issues many went through with this machine early on with thread breakage and the nesting, etc., and the issues were corrected and the machine upgraded to the 5.5 even. I went through a spell where after all that I didn't use it for about 2 years and am now using it again for piecing quilts and just now I am trying free-motion quilting using the sensormatic free motion quilting function on the machine. Well....sometimes its okay, but mostly tension is awful..thread breakage, needles bent or breaking...I GIVE UP! Then I was searching on the internet and saw a reference that this was yet ANOTHER ISSUE with this machine from the get go.....is this true???? I do not have that many hours on it...for crying out loud...am I going to keep on running into issues for years with it whenever I find something new I want to try on it that I have yet to try??? They should have just gave me a new machine...just wondering what to do now.....

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
NC USA
Member since 2/17/06
online now

In reply to JR84 <<

Date: 4/7/13 9:18 AM

Is this your first time free motion quilting, or just the first time doing it on this machine?

Bent and broken needles, poor stitch quality and thread breakage are VERY very common beginner free motion quilter headaches.

-- Edited on 4/7/13 9:19 AM --

------
Cathryn

Debbo

Debbo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/14/05

Date: 4/7/13 10:50 AM

try using inspira sharp needles. Sometimes I get thread breakage when I use organ needles because they are a tad longer but my machine always likes inspira needles.

------
Deb

JR84
JR84
Intermediate
MI USA
Member since 4/6/13

Date: 4/7/13 2:08 PM

This is both my first few days of FMQ and on this machine. I could understand if I bent or broke needles. Would my inadequate skills in moving the quilt sandwich i've made (too fast--pushing it...too slow) cause the thread in one of the threading slots (the right one) to lock up and cause all of this? I am soo upset...I don't want to get rid of this machine...but I am considering ...but I will take such a loss...honestly...maybe i have put 10 hours at the most since they fixed its original issues and did the 5.5 upgrade...

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
NC USA
Member since 2/17/06
online now

In reply to JR84 <<

Date: 4/7/13 2:59 PM

Yes, when the fabric feeding and machine stitching is not even close to being in sync, as in just trying to learn free motion quilting, all kinds of thread and needle issues can happen. I HAVE to use topstitch needles, usually a size 14 or 16, for fmq.

I messed up the timing, broke needles, nicked the needle plate, just in general abused my poor machine learning to fmq! I am still learning, but it takes some practice.

I had to take my machine in for service to get it running right again, you may want to start with a service call, just to make sure there is no bit of thread jammed in one of the tension disks, or the timing is off. Tell them you are trying to fmq to see if they have any tips for you!

------
Cathryn

Debbo

Debbo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/14/05

Date: 4/7/13 9:22 PM

Are you threading the machine with the presser foot up? If you don't, you will break thread. Is the thread hanging up somewhere and pulling? A topstitch needle is best, but I can't use organ or superior needles in my machine - they always end up breaking thread. So my dealer said to try inspira needles which work fine. Your movement of the quilt sandwich shouldn't pull so hard that it breaks the thread. Do you have the feed dogs down?

------
Deb

JR84
JR84
Intermediate
MI USA
Member since 4/6/13

Date: 4/7/13 9:37 PM

I am using Inspira needles but I was first using a Microtek needle but am now using Universals. Feed dogs are down as in sensormatic free motion quilting mode on this machine it puts them down. Thread is getting caught tight in the right-hand threading slot. One time it broke in there. If I take the machine back into regular sewing mode and start piecing a quilt, I am not having any problems....

Debbo

Debbo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/14/05

Date: 4/7/13 9:56 PM

Makes me wonder if something is caught in there...if you have the presser foot up the tension disks should be open so it wouldn't get caught unless you are trying to thread it with the presser foot down. So if it's getting caught, there's a reason for that and i would take it in.

------
Deb

Debbo

Debbo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/14/05

Date: 4/7/13 9:58 PM

another thought. I free motion with the embroidery foot and I don't put it in sensormatic mode. Try dropping the feed dogs without the sensormatic mode and see what happens when you try to free motion.

------
Deb

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
MN USA
Member since 4/23/07

In reply to JR84 <<

Date: 4/7/13 10:47 PM

I have the same machine. Everyonce in a while i get thread breakage and nesting on the bottom. I look and looked. something was causing the problem.
I found that little rubber thingy that keeps the thread inplace some times doesn't let the thread all the way through . It pulls harder and makes the thread nests. I went and pulled it off and found that the rubber had split in places causing the thread to get caught.
That little rubber thingy is suppose to keep the thread from coming out .
As you thread your thread your machine. Look down from the top.
you will see a little black rubber that prevents the thread from coming back out. That little thingy is causing the thread not to go all the way down so it flowes smothly. See if you can slide it slightly away from you so your thread can go all the way down.
Try it. Sew . If it sews smoothly. Take a little super glue and just a touch so that thing doesn't slide. If you don't under stand I will post pictures of the thingy.
Hope this helps.

------
Galatians 5:22-23 The Spirit produces love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, humility, and self-control. There is no law against such things as these

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Pfaff Creative Vision 5.0/5.5 upgraded-FMQ woes

Merchants on PR
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
Fee: $49.00
(Regular $49.00)
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Online Sewing Classes
Bust Adjustments
Fee: $39.99
(Regular $39.99)
Bust Adjustments

Simplicity 2536
photo
Review by Oceanpeg on 8/11/09
Read Review

Peek-A Boo Floppy Flower Sun Hat Digital Pattern ( Size newborn - child )
Peek-A Boo Floppy Flower Sun Hat Digital Pattern ( Size newborn - child )

Details
Price: $4.99
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Peek-A Boo Winter PJs Digital Pattern ( Size 6 mo -8 years )
Peek-A Boo Winter PJs Digital Pattern ( Size 6 mo -8 years )

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

brerrabbit.com Go To Pattern's
photo
Review by AlyssaJS on 7/6/12
Read Review

Sewing Workshop 8th Avenue Skirt Pattern
Sewing Workshop 8th Avenue Skirt Pattern

Details
Price: $22.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

You Sew Girl Mod Bag Pattern
You Sew Girl Mod Bag Pattern

Details
Price: $22.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 2895 Pattern ( Size 46-48-50-52 )
Simplicity 2895 Pattern ( Size 46-48-50-52 )

Details
Price: $17.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue 1346 Pattern ( Size XSM-SML-MED )
Vogue 1346 Pattern ( Size XSM-SML-MED )

Details
Price: $32.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN