SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Pfaff Creative Vision 5.0/5.5 upgraded-FMQ woes ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Pfaff Creative Vision 5.0/5.5 upgraded-FMQ woes
FMQ-issues
JR84
JR84
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 4/6/13
Send Message

Date: 4/6/13 11:59 PM

I have owned my Pfaff Creative Vision for 5 years...ever since I purchased it brand new. Of course I went through the issues many went through with this machine early on with thread breakage and the nesting, etc., and the issues were corrected and the machine upgraded to the 5.5 even. I went through a spell where after all that I didn't use it for about 2 years and am now using it again for piecing quilts and just now I am trying free-motion quilting using the sensormatic free motion quilting function on the machine. Well....sometimes its okay, but mostly tension is awful..thread breakage, needles bent or breaking...I GIVE UP! Then I was searching on the internet and saw a reference that this was yet ANOTHER ISSUE with this machine from the get go.....is this true???? I do not have that many hours on it...for crying out loud...am I going to keep on running into issues for years with it whenever I find something new I want to try on it that I have yet to try??? They should have just gave me a new machine...just wondering what to do now.....

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
online now
Send Message

In reply to JR84 <<

Date: 4/7/13 9:18 AM

Is this your first time free motion quilting, or just the first time doing it on this machine?

Bent and broken needles, poor stitch quality and thread breakage are VERY very common beginner free motion quilter headaches.

-- Edited on 4/7/13 9:19 AM --

------
Cathryn

Debbo

Debbo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/14/05
Send Message

Date: 4/7/13 10:50 AM

try using inspira sharp needles. Sometimes I get thread breakage when I use organ needles because they are a tad longer but my machine always likes inspira needles.

------
Deb

JR84
JR84
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 4/6/13
Send Message

Date: 4/7/13 2:08 PM

This is both my first few days of FMQ and on this machine. I could understand if I bent or broke needles. Would my inadequate skills in moving the quilt sandwich i've made (too fast--pushing it...too slow) cause the thread in one of the threading slots (the right one) to lock up and cause all of this? I am soo upset...I don't want to get rid of this machine...but I am considering ...but I will take such a loss...honestly...maybe i have put 10 hours at the most since they fixed its original issues and did the 5.5 upgrade...

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
online now
Send Message

In reply to JR84 <<

Date: 4/7/13 2:59 PM

Yes, when the fabric feeding and machine stitching is not even close to being in sync, as in just trying to learn free motion quilting, all kinds of thread and needle issues can happen. I HAVE to use topstitch needles, usually a size 14 or 16, for fmq.

I messed up the timing, broke needles, nicked the needle plate, just in general abused my poor machine learning to fmq! I am still learning, but it takes some practice.

I had to take my machine in for service to get it running right again, you may want to start with a service call, just to make sure there is no bit of thread jammed in one of the tension disks, or the timing is off. Tell them you are trying to fmq to see if they have any tips for you!

------
Cathryn

Debbo

Debbo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/14/05
Send Message

Date: 4/7/13 9:22 PM

Are you threading the machine with the presser foot up? If you don't, you will break thread. Is the thread hanging up somewhere and pulling? A topstitch needle is best, but I can't use organ or superior needles in my machine - they always end up breaking thread. So my dealer said to try inspira needles which work fine. Your movement of the quilt sandwich shouldn't pull so hard that it breaks the thread. Do you have the feed dogs down?

------
Deb

JR84
JR84
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 4/6/13
Send Message

Date: 4/7/13 9:37 PM

I am using Inspira needles but I was first using a Microtek needle but am now using Universals. Feed dogs are down as in sensormatic free motion quilting mode on this machine it puts them down. Thread is getting caught tight in the right-hand threading slot. One time it broke in there. If I take the machine back into regular sewing mode and start piecing a quilt, I am not having any problems....

Debbo

Debbo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/14/05
Send Message

Date: 4/7/13 9:56 PM

Makes me wonder if something is caught in there...if you have the presser foot up the tension disks should be open so it wouldn't get caught unless you are trying to thread it with the presser foot down. So if it's getting caught, there's a reason for that and i would take it in.

------
Deb

Debbo

Debbo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/14/05
Send Message

Date: 4/7/13 9:58 PM

another thought. I free motion with the embroidery foot and I don't put it in sensormatic mode. Try dropping the feed dogs without the sensormatic mode and see what happens when you try to free motion.

------
Deb

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/23/07
Send Message

In reply to JR84 <<

Date: 4/7/13 10:47 PM

I have the same machine. Everyonce in a while i get thread breakage and nesting on the bottom. I look and looked. something was causing the problem.
I found that little rubber thingy that keeps the thread inplace some times doesn't let the thread all the way through . It pulls harder and makes the thread nests. I went and pulled it off and found that the rubber had split in places causing the thread to get caught.
That little rubber thingy is suppose to keep the thread from coming out .
As you thread your thread your machine. Look down from the top.
you will see a little black rubber that prevents the thread from coming back out. That little thingy is causing the thread not to go all the way down so it flowes smothly. See if you can slide it slightly away from you so your thread can go all the way down.
Try it. Sew . If it sews smoothly. Take a little super glue and just a touch so that thing doesn't slide. If you don't under stand I will post pictures of the thingy.
Hope this helps.

------
Ecclesiastes 11:7,8 Nothing on earth is more beautiful than the morning sun. Even if you live to a ripe old age, you should try to enjoy each day, because darkness will come and will last a long time. (CEV)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Pfaff Creative Vision 5.0/5.5 upgraded-FMQ woes

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Class Details

Online Class
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Class Details

Islander Sewing Systems Men's City Western Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's City Western Shirt Pattern

More Info
Sewing Workshop Oasis Skirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Oasis Skirt Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.