SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fashion Styles and Trends > What to Wear to a Wedding ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
What to Wear to a Wedding
Looking for upscale and hip alternatives for an evening event
KateLoom
star
KateLoom  Friend of PR
Advanced
Massachusetts USA
Member since 6/22/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/7/13 7:11 AM

Greetings! I need to whip up something to wear to a late-May rehearsal dinner + wedding outside of Boston. My tastes lean toward anything that doesn't require fussing (no capes, shawls, ponchos, etc., but I don't like skin-tight va-va-voom silhouettes either).

Love Eileen Fisher but can't afford her stuff, so I'm hoping to make a few things inspired by her collection. For the rehearsal dinner, the idea of slim pants with some kind of cut-away top is really appealing. Does anyone know of a pattern that would come close to Fisher's new "layering dress"? I'm thinking stone or pewter-colored pants plus a light mauve top? Any other suggestions for something upscale/urban chic?

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

In reply to KateLoom <<

Date: 4/7/13 7:59 PM

It's not a cut away like the top above, but Marcy Tilton's Vogue 8876 might be something you like. You can shorten it to this length. You could also shorten the front and curve it into the side seams like the Eileen Fisher.

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

carry
carry
Member since 10/26/07
Send Message

Date: 4/8/13 2:01 AM

I was looking through the catalogs Here's what might work
Butterick 5897 is a dress-tunic
McCall's dress 6520
McCall's 6401 top
Simplicity tops 1660 and 1694
Loes HInse Casablanca blouse 5207 the back hemline could be longer the front shortened.It reminds me of Eileen style. If you wear this outfit to the rehearsal,what will you wear to the wedding?

mmcp
mmcp  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maryland USA
Member since 5/31/09
Send Message

Date: 4/9/13 9:38 PM

If you are willing to go with a knit, I'm working on V8881 now. View D has a cutaway front and it's really pretty--I'm doing it in a silk jersey and it looks much dressier than the version on the envelope. It's very fitted but you could cut a larger size.

KateLoom
star
KateLoom  Friend of PR
Advanced
Massachusetts USA
Member since 6/22/07
Send Message

In reply to carry <<

Date: 4/11/13 7:26 AM

Thanks for all the pattern suggestions! I'll check them out today. Just found out that the rehearsal dinner is at a tapas restaurant, so I will definitely be able to get away with something simple. As far as the wedding itself goes, I just don't know! My 23yr old daughter tells me "nobody wears pantyhose anymore!" so I doubt I'll wear a short skirt because otherwise I'll have to get a spray tan. Ick.

Long flowy dresses get on my nerves, but I can see myself in a pencil skirt. I just ordered the Christine Johnson pencil skirt pattern. If I could find a dressy jacquard knit and pair it with a light cashmere-like sweater, that might work because typical late-May temperatures in our area are around 70 degrees, and cooler in the evening. Another option is Vogue 8504. I bought the pattern last year but haven't tested it because I can't find a fabric I like for the top. And what if it's chilly? Any thoughts on what kind of cover-up would work (nothing fussy like a shawl or poncho)?

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to KateLoom <<

Date: 4/11/13 11:31 AM

For added warmth for V8504..........

An open vest with exactly the same lines with a slightly extended shoulder and shorter than the tunic, perhaps about four inches shorter than the tunic. I might add a diagonal seam across the back for some structural interest.

I would have the vest opened along the off center front seam line and plan for just one closure; something dramatic or something hidden. It could close at the shoulder.

Or, you could extend the diagonal line of the neckline to the front off-centered edge of the vest. The options there would be to fasten at the top of the 'joint', or........have one single fastening farther down to allow the lower edge of the vest neckline to flop over. If you choose the 'flop', play with the placement of the single fastener to allow the flop to mimic the degrees off of the neckline.

So if the neckline of the tunic was 20 degrees off horizontal, a starting point for playing with the flop (at the fastener) could be 40 degrees off horizontal. Then pin and play with that to find what angle on the flop on the vest is best for you.

Or, make a vest, again with the same lines as the tunic. This concept would be to cut away 2 or 3 inches from the edges - the neckline and the bottom.

In both vests, I would leave a vent on the side just as on the original tunic - perhaps a bit longer.

I think you can grasp that the idea would be to use the lines of the tunic to formulate a complimentary additional top layer.

If the top layer was sheer, it could be fun to reverse the front for the layers to cross over one another.

Another approach might be to make a top layer that only extends from the front vertical seam line over to an extended shoulder on the other side. The entire (about) 15% would be missing from the side - no underarm on that side, no side seam on that side.

I've posted a link to the Donna Karan 2013 spring collection in a couple of places (Langenlook thread and Over Fifty thread). There is a pull down menu to show different segments of the collection (3 or 4). You'll miss the whole impact if you only look at one segment. Well worth looking at for what I consider to be a sophisticated approach to layered dressing.

V8504 looks like a fun pattern to play with. Say, you could go upside down with it too. A sleeveless abbreviated version could be utilized as a tunic slip with the full tunic worn over in a sheer fabric. Just, as is, or the hem and edge of the 'slip' could have a nice deep border of the sheer fabric of the over tunic.

I think I had better order this pattern.
-- Edited on 4/11/13 11:39 AM --

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to KateLoom <<

Date: 4/11/13 11:38 AM

By the way, I'm glad you mentioned the nobody wears pantyhose anymore comment. I can do that for casual but I just can't bring myself, yet, to wear a shorter skirt without hose. I've been wondering if this was the 'new' guideline.

Oh well, my mom always told me that the day would come when I would have to wear a girdle - ha!, when pigs fly (real pigs). I suppose the thinking is the same in regard to being encapsulated in panty hose.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

sewcool21
sewcool21
Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 12/1/07
Send Message

Date: 4/11/13 12:53 PM

Mccall just released 6742 and it looks sort of like the top. All you would have to do is shorten the dress to tunic length.
-- Edited on 4/11/13 12:54 PM --

------
sewcool21@blogspot.com

KateLoom
star
KateLoom  Friend of PR
Advanced
Massachusetts USA
Member since 6/22/07
Send Message

In reply to a7yrstitch <<

Date: 4/11/13 8:41 PM

Wow, this is thrilling! So much to digest! I just came back from the accountant and have been doing taxes all week so it'll take me a day or two before my eyes un-cross. But I LOVE the idea of the inside-out approach.

Can't thank you enough for the ideas. Hope to reciprocate at some point soon!

PS - Re: the Vogue pattern, I like the overall look but the fabric on the cover looks a tad stiff. I like the burn-out effect, and also think wearing the tank top outside (instead of tucked in) helps the silhouette. My hair is the same un-color, so I will need to go to bleached out shades of pale like the photo shows (although more along the lines of pewter/silver/ice blue etc). Hmm. Still would love some fabric suggestions. Does Marcy Tilton carry anything that would work?

KateLoom
star
KateLoom  Friend of PR
Advanced
Massachusetts USA
Member since 6/22/07
Send Message

In reply to sewcool21 <<

Date: 4/11/13 8:57 PM

Great! Just checked it out and it's definitely a contender. Maybe not QUITE so form-fitting (my waistline ain't what it used to be), and I'd prefer a sleeve w/out the cuff. But I think I could work with this on a tamed-down level. Lower heels, hopefully! What a great pattern; the options are a lot of fun. Even if it doesn't make the wedding cut, I would definitely wear this for everyday office/social stuff. Love the shorter version with the capri leggings. Thanks for the suggestion. I was on McCall's today and didn't even notice the pattern!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fashion Styles and Trends >> What to Wear to a Wedding

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Class Details

Online Class
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Class Details

Self Drafted Pattern 18031-1003

photo
by: mhoutz

Review
Lolita Patterns Spearmint Paper Pattern

More Info
SewBaby Snap Happy Booties Pattern

SewBaby Snap Happy Booties Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.