SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Machine Embroidery > Question for Owners of Machines w/Needlecam ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Question for Owners of Machines w/Needlecam
How are you using it to help you?
Steffie
starstar
Steffie
Intermediate
MI USA
Member since 11/6/04
Send Message

Date: 4/7/13 2:38 PM

This question is for owners of the Babylock or Brother machines with the needlecam. I have the Babylock Ellisimo with the upgrade #1. I have been embroidering for a while as I used to own the Ellageo before buying the Ellisimo.

So far, I have not found having the snowman stickers or the upgrade to be very helpful. If I draw lines on my fabric for centering, the needle cam does not see the lines, so it does not help me figure out where to place my embroidery design. Sometimes the sticker isn't registering when scanning (can't find it).

How are you all using this feature to help you with placement? I am certain I am missing something.

Thanks!

Stephanie

1975Jumby
star
1975Jumby
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 8/19/08
Send Message

In reply to Steffie <<

Date: 4/7/13 11:03 PM

The needle cam on my Ellisimo Gold has definitely helped me out when it comes to centering my designs. I'm not the most perfect hooper. So what is nice about the camera is I know that my design doesn't have to be perfectly squared in the hoop. If I get a good, tight hoop and my lines are not centered, I don't worry about trying to rehoop. I just put the little snowman sticker and the design is centered where it needs to be.

Now, the best feature of the camera (and upgrade #1 for those that purchased it for their Ellisimo) in my opinion is the ability to move your design anywhere on the fabric before stitching. I have used this MANY times and find it extremely invaluable. I'm always adding little things to my kids' or nieces/nephews' clothes. It's nice to scan my fabric and be able to move the design where I want it. Especially when I'm trying to get the design in a tricky place.
-- Edited on 4/7/13 11:03 PM --

------
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Enlighten
Kenmore 1914
Kenmore 1814

ShirleyJo
ShirleyJo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/12/12
Send Message

In reply to Steffie <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/9/13 5:56 PM

You know, I have the Quattro and I'm not sure the snowman feature has really helped me tons either. I was watching a Craftsy video of Eileen Roche and she had this way-too-cool-I-want-one-now!! laser light cross-hair lamp thingie. I have to see about getting one of those. It shined this crosshair laser pattern down onto the hoop/garment, and made positioning look so easy!

Anyway, the snowman doesn't help me a whole lot, because I generally don't have problem with positioning/hooping my stuff. I have this funky "all the way around the barn to get through the front door" hooping method that's pretty accurate. I call it my "tacky method." I figured it out years ago when I was a machine embroidery beginner, totally clueless. I bought my first embroidery machine online, a Brother 2002D, so the local dealer wouldn't help me (and I don't blame them). And I knew no one who did machine embroidery that I could ask for help.

So I fumbled around and came up with this method. I still use it because I still find very very accurate. It's probably described somewhere else on the net in a tutorial with all kinds of great photos, but I've honestly never seen it. I do have Embird which prints a handy paper template which really helps.

Briefly:
1. I print a paper template, position it on my garment exactly where I want it, and and tape it in place.
1. I hoop my stabilizer, usually a "barely sticky-back" of some sort (although I've been known to resort to a bit of spray adhesive for non-sticky stabilizer on occasion).
2. I lay my plastic hoop grid in the hoop, on top of the stabilizer. I use a removable marking pen to mark a dot onto the stabilizer in each little hole at the grid corners, side, and center cross-hair (my Brother grids have these strategic little holes in the grids; my Janome 11000SE grids were hole-less so I used a tiny drill bit and drilled my own holes). After marking the dots, the plastic grid is removed and set aside.
3. I turn the hoop over, and put a thumbtack through each dot (they're visible through the stabilizer). I place a piece of blue painter's tape over each tack to hold temporarily.
4. I turn the hoop back over. I then carefully lay my garment (with taped template) over the hoop, and line up the pokey thumbtacks with the corners and center cross-hair of the paper template.
5. I press the garment down onto the thumbtacks and sticky stuff. If need-be, I can easily lift the garment and re-position. After I'm satisfied all is happy, I carefully remove the paper template from the top and the thumbtacks from the bottom.
6. I carefully put the hoop in my machine, baste around the design to secure everything, and I'm ready to stitch out my design.

I've taught my "tacky" method to several people and they swear by it. It's one of those things that takes longer to write than to actually do, LOL! And it's pretty accurate. Maybe it will help someone here. But I really need to check out the cross-hair laser lamp that Eileen Roche was using in the Craftsy video. It was really cool!

------
Slightly too many machines...

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 4/9/13 10:58 PM

Do any of you ever use your embroidery machine's trace feature?

It will show center, top, bottom, left and right sides of where the embroidery will stitch out.

If not where you want, jog center.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

ShirleyJo
ShirleyJo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/12/12
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 4/9/13 11:10 PM

Yes, I do use that actually... and it comes in pretty handy to double check things out before I stitch and make sure things are all happy. But I find I'm more comfortable getting my placement exact before it goes into the machine. I'm not so comfortable having things be a little "off" as they go into the machine, and then using the machine to compensate. But that's just what works for me. It's great that we have lots of ways to use our machines to produce lots of beautiful things. Or, as in my case, even the occasional wadder, LOL!!

------

iSewQuiltArt
star
iSewQuiltArt
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 4/4/08
Send Message

Date: 4/9/13 11:54 PM

Shirley Jo,
Thanks for posting your method of positioining designs. I am just getting into machine embroidery again after a long break (of having no embroidery capability, now I do again with a whole new machine as well, yay!!)
I can see your method would be very accurate. Presumably you put the top of the hoop over the bottom once you get everything all lined up and tacked together?
Before removing the tacks right?

------
Quilting up a storm
Bernina Girl, in possession of a small herd...

ShirleyJo
ShirleyJo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/12/12
Send Message

In reply to iSewQuiltArt <<

Date: 4/10/13 2:32 AM

No... not quite. I use what's called the hoopless method, I learned it ages ago on the Martha Pullen embroidery forum from a sweet, much loved lady who went by V. Way back when, when people were using coffee filters and typing paper for stabilizer! Anyway, in the hoopless method, you never hoop your garment, you only hoop your stabilizer. You hoop your stabilizer, THEN secure your garment on top via pins, thread basting, sticky-stabilizer, KK2000 temp adhesive embroidery spray, staples, cement nails, chewing gum, epoxy, whatever works. Personally I use good quality sticky stabilizer, adhesive spray (use strips of press-n-seal to keep my hoops clean, i.e, cover, spray, peel, toss), or pins. So, the layers are bottom hoop, stabilizer, top hoop, garment.

Embird, which I use, prints a template that shows the design in 1:1 size with a grid that corresponds exactly to the plastic grid for the hoop. So you can match the paper template grid locations exactly to the plastic hoop grid locations... and the way you do this is via the thumbtacks.

Regarding Embird: There's a lot of really great embroidery software out there, but I'm not familiar with it. I don't know if other software prints templates with grids. Embird does and I find that feature invaluable for placement. And compared to some of the prices for other embroidery software, Embird gets my own personal best-buy seal of approval.

------

ShirleyJo
ShirleyJo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/12/12
Send Message

Date: 4/10/13 2:38 AM

Oh and another thing, if you want to use the snowman feature in the Quattro or Ellisimo machines, Embird can print a template that includes the snowman. So you can leave the paper template on, take your item to the machine, have the machine calibrate itself to the snowman, remove your paper template, and stitch away.

Lots of ways to get the job done!

------

Sonoma33
star
Sonoma33  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 5/10/09
Send Message

In reply to ShirleyJo <<

Date: 4/10/13 3:06 AM

Quote:
Briefly:
1. I print a paper template, position it on my garment exactly where I want it, and and tape it in place.
1. I hoop my stabilizer, usually a "barely sticky-back" of some sort (although I've been known to resort to a bit of spray adhesive for non-sticky stabilizer on occasion).
2. I lay my plastic hoop grid in the hoop, on top of the stabilizer. I use a removable marking pen to mark a dot onto the stabilizer in each little hole at the grid corners, side, and center cross-hair (my Brother grids have these strategic little holes in the grids; my Janome 11000SE grids were hole-less so I used a tiny drill bit and drilled my own holes). After marking the dots, the plastic grid is removed and set aside.
3. I turn the hoop over, and put a thumbtack through each dot (they're visible through the stabilizer). I place a piece of blue painter's tape over each tack to hold temporarily.
4. I turn the hoop back over. I then carefully lay my garment (with taped template) over the hoop, and line up the pokey thumbtacks with the corners and center cross-hair of the paper template.
5. I press the garment down onto the thumbtacks and sticky stuff. If need-be, I can easily lift the garment and re-position. After I'm satisfied all is happy, I carefully remove the paper template from the top and the thumbtacks from the bottom.
6. I carefully put the hoop in my machine, baste around the design to secure everything, and I'm ready to stitch out my design.

THIS is BRILLIANT!!! Thanks for writing it up.
-- Edited on 4/10/13 3:06 AM --

------
Berninas 830LE ♥ Artista 630PQE ♥ 930 Record ♥ Juki TL2010Q ♥ Pfaffs Creative Performance ♥ Passport 2.0 ♥ Singers 221 ♥ 301 ♥ 500a ♥ Kenmore 1040 ♥ Elna 'Grasshopper' ♥ Tacsew T500 ♥ Babylock Evolution

Bobbinnoli
Bobbinnoli
Intermediate
MD USA
Member since 7/13/10
Send Message

In reply to Steffie <<

Date: 4/10/13 10:54 AM

I just wanted to suggest that you watch your lighting when using the scanner/snowman sticker. I read that a while ago, when my machine was always giving me the error message saying it couldn't find the sticker, and now, right before I have my machine scan, I turn my overhead light off as well as the Ott light I have shining on my machine.
The older I've gotten, the more light I need, by far, and since I've been turning the lights off real quick, I haven't had nearly as many problems. As soon as the machine finds what it's looking for, I switch them back on.
I recently did table runners for my daughter's wedding, and each one required 8 hoopings (I did 30 runners). I couldn't have done this job without the snowman.
Stephanie

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> Question for Owners of Machines w/Needlecam

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Ottobre Design 303

photo
by: boppingbet...

Review
Christine Jonson Three Tees

Christine Jonson Three Tees

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems - MyStyle Greetings

Islander Sewing Systems - MyStyle Greetings

Buy Now
McCall's 4548

photo
by: Mint Choco...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.