SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Presser Food Adjustment -cannot find-Janome DC1050 ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Presser Food Adjustment -cannot find-Janome DC1050
Lanna
Lanna
Intermediate
Member since 7/15/03
Send Message

Date: 4/7/13 4:30 PM

I cannot find how to adjust the pressure for my sewing machine. It is on too tight, pressing against the feed dogs, I want to sew on some knit, and cannot loosen it. I cannot find where/if this can be adjusted. I have not used the machine much. I even checked the manual, and I couldnt find how to adjust this. My other machines can be adjusted.

If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate, Thanks.

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

Date: 4/7/13 4:39 PM

I don't think this machine offers an adjustable presser foot pressure feature. Do you have a walking foot for this machine you could try with knits?

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

Lanna
Lanna
Intermediate
Member since 7/15/03
Send Message

Date: 4/7/13 5:41 PM

Thanks for your response Ming, I dont have a walking foot.

I think I really should have researched a little more before purchasing a another rmachine.

At least I didnt spend too much on it. I can always use it as a back up.

I really thought, even the basic machines have this adjustment. So a more advanced one, I thought, would have had it also.
Live and Learn.

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

Date: 4/7/13 5:49 PM

Don't feel bad, it's hard finding that "perfect" machine, if it even exists at all! Keep your eyes open for a nice walking foot, they sell generic ones for low shank machines (which I'm pretty certain your model is) for around $20. They can help quite significantly with sewing stretch fabrics.

My first machine, the Bernina 1008, also does not have the adjustable presser foot pressure feature but Trena (of the Slap Dash Seamstress blog) uses her 1008 to churn out beautiful garments.

I'm sure you'll find a way to tame your fabrics. Good luck!

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

Date: 4/7/13 7:08 PM

You might try posting this in the 'Sewing Machines' thread. Someone there might be familiar with your machine.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 4/7/13 7:23 PM

I looked at a picture of that machine, and I could sew knits on it just fine if everything else set up just right, and as an operator doing the right kind of stuff, and I think the machine is made for that and that is even why all those reverse cycle knit stitches are built into there even (but maybe not quite as as good as on a overlocker maybe with real loopers and real overlock stitches and differential feed) and I actually do think it's a big huge internet myth going around, that you can't sew knits on a sewing machine, without some kind of bolted onto it generic walking foot, if it's computerized and has no manual pressure foot adjusting dail to turn.

Just because I have lots of machines old and new, and most times things work fine for me. I even have some computerized machines with no manual pressure foot adjustment at all, that sew on knits, way better than lots of machines old and new that have that too. So, I don't think that is the only factor working in there at all. I also think it's pretty silly if thousands of people get to thinking they can only sew on knits if they bolt some kind of quilters walking foot onto a sewing machine too, as that seems kind of nutty to me to actually.

So if you go with that, (the thought that all sewing machines are garbage and can't sew on knits if pressure foot has not an adjustable pressure foot, kind of train of thought), I think you are giving up way to easy, and it's just operator error instead even.

What is the real sewing problem? Is you fabric stuck and not even moving at all there or are your stitches so small and tiny it's getting sucked down into the stitch plate hole or what?

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

Date: 4/7/13 7:49 PM

Did this problem just develop? Your machine might need an adjustment by a repair person.

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

PattyGee
PattyGee  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/12/03
Send Message

In reply to Lanna <<

Date: 4/8/13 0:17 AM

You could check with a sewing technician and see if they can loosen your pressure, I know that they can do it on other machines and don't have adjustable pressure. That may be all you need to do. Good luck!

------
Patty
Bernina 530, Bernina 200e with upgrade 730, BL Enlighten Serger, BL Coverstitch and Juki TL-2010Q.

Lanna
Lanna
Intermediate
Member since 7/15/03
Send Message

Date: 4/8/13 11:58 AM

thanks all !! so excited to find all these different answers. I have tried to sew and it just seems to smash my fabric tightly, then I have a wavy seem, and its a hem I want to do on a TRW blouse. I will try some other stitches, and adjustments to see if that will work.
It could be my fear of knits hitting me, I really like wovens, but knit seems to be the in thing, and its so comfortable.

Again thanks for everyone being so helpful. :)

Mrs.Moos
star
Mrs.Moos  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/5/02
Send Message

In reply to Lanna <<

Date: 4/8/13 1:23 PM

It is probably too much foot pressure. And I don't think this machine can be adjusted. I know letting up on the foot pressure does wonders. You could try to put a little water soluable stabilizer under or on top of the fabric and see if that helps. Or get yourself a serger nothing beats a serger for sewing knits!

------
Babylock Spirit, Brother ULT 2002D, Janome 6500P, Janome 1600P-DB, Babylock Eclipse SX, Juki MO654DE, Janome Coverpro 1000CPX, Singer 15-91

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Presser Food Adjustment -cannot find-Janome DC1050

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Self Drafted Pattern 281988-1004

photo
by: MNBarb

Review
Sew Liberated Gathering apron Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Petal Dress Pattern

SewBaby Petal Dress Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.