SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > Hating the coverstitch or ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Hating the coverstitch or
WHY DOES IT TAKE LONGER TO COVER THAN TO CUT AND SEW??
Aussiemom63135
Aussiemom63135
Intermediate
USA
Member since 7/9/08
Send Message

Date: 4/7/13 7:03 PM

Hi fellow sewing friends
I have spent more time today using and ripping out the coverstitching than I did to pin cut, and serge the t-shirt.
I have the brother CS and it has taken me 6 knit shirts to learn how to use it and today it is being a beast. I have skipped stitches and no stitching and last but not least a balding head from all the hair pulling. I am using onionskin knit. I have glued the hem, sleeves and neckline so it all stabilized. It seems that the machine is now possessed. I got on here to see if there was anything similar to what I am experiencing. I think I am going to switch out the needles and see if that will help. Wish me luck...and lots of patience.
Charlene
-- Edited on 4/7/13 7:05 PM --

------
Charlene
TOTAL YARDAGE IN STASH: TOO MUCH TO COUNT.

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

Date: 4/7/13 7:07 PM

I was wondering why it took me longer to thread my (old school) serger than it did to cut and sew a pair of yoga pants this morning.

------
Mary

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to Aussiemom63135 <<

Date: 4/7/13 7:24 PM

I don't have one of these so I am hoping that someone will chime in here who uses this. I am wondering about changing needles, adjusting foot pressure and adjusting differential? With sewing thin fabrics these are the things I would adjust first.

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

thumbsup 11 members like this.

Date: 4/7/13 7:43 PM

Changing the needles seems to be critical, and depending on how you "glued" your hems, you might need to clean the needles with a little alcohol on a paper towel, to make sure they aren't gunked up. If that doesn't work, pour alcohol into a stemmed goblet and consume. Good luck!

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 4/7/13 9:07 PM

I have problems sewing over glue in anything sometimes, even if it was some kind of real sewing kind of glue. If the glue is real sticky, and then it sticks to your needle in something, then the thing you are sewing on, tends to ride up and down actually on to and with the needle when the needle tries to pull out of it, then your fabric is no longer held close to your stitch plate, but more up in the air right then and there instead, and much more likely to get skipped stitches. Have not noticed that on a serger coverstitch before, but never used any glue there either, but have on sewing machines, and I think same thing could happen on a coverstitch kind of stitch too.

If you think it's that, and everything all ready glued and kind of just stuck with the glue on there, maybe even putting and dipping a qtip into something like liquid goo be gone or alcohol and sewing a little bit, wiping off the needle, and just doing that over and over again might make it sew a bit bit better.

dresscode

dresscode  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 7/28/04
Send Message

Date: 4/7/13 10:52 PM

I am not near the needle for ID but my Bernina dealer showed me the difference between standard needle and a certain one they keep for cover stitch.....can't remember what makes it different....Titanium?

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/7/13 11:16 PM

I just got my first combo machine. Have yet to take the class. I'm going to see how far I get on my own (gulp!) until then.

Do you have to glue? Or will pins or clips do? I don't need to go fast. My new Juki MO 735 takes regular needles for serging, but has these black JL needles included. I assume these are for coverstitching.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

Rosews13
Rosews13  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 1/17/10
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 4/7/13 11:44 PM

I have the Brother 2340 and have only had a problem once. Changing out the needle for a stretch needle made all the difference. I don't glue but use fusible web or wash away wonder tape on thin knits. I also wonder what kind of glue you used and if that affected your success. I hope that is all it was because you could wash out the glue and try again using fusible web.

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/8/13 1:00 AM

I never use glue. I have had complete success using Emma Seabrooke's tapes on my knits; she also has them for wovens, check here:

Emma's fusible tapes

I use the Extremely Fine Knit Fusible Stay Tape and it comes in various widths. Not sticky at all, does not change the hand of the fabric, will hold a wrap neckline from stretching and support a delicate flutter-sleeve hem made in a translucent knit. You may have seen her products as SewKeysE. Emma designs her tapes based in her many years of sewing. They are manufactured to her specifications. Since she sells them directly, I find them to be well priced. HTH.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

goosegreen
starstarstar
goosegreen  Friend of PR
Advanced
New South Wales Australia
Member since 1/9/05
Send Message

Date: 4/8/13 1:42 AM

Spray starch may help too. Not sure what onionskin is but if it's anything like rayon, spray starch should help quite a bit. More than one layer too.

------
Alison in suburbia - Sydney Australia
My sewing blog: http://nosilasews.blogspot.com/

Keeper of the flock - Janome MC8000, Janome MC4900QC, Elna Elina 40, Husqvarna Rose, Singer 201K, Elna Contessa, Janome My Excel 18W, Janome 634D & 534D overlockers, Janome Coverpro 1000CPX.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> Hating the coverstitch or

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Merckwaerdigh BHS10

photo
by: ArtAttack

Review
Favorite Things The Classic Shirt Pattern

Favorite Things The Classic Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Panel Bag

You Sew Girl Panel Bag

Buy Now
Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop Classic Polo

photo
by: guineveres...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.