SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fashion Styles and Trends > Vintage or out of fashion? ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Vintage or out of fashion?
Kimbercrow
Kimbercrow
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 3/30/13
Send Message

Date: 4/8/13 1:04 AM

When does fabric/design move from out of style to vintage? I have a lot of fabric that I bought in the early 90's.

Some of the blouse fabrics are still in good condition, but am not sure if it is going to date me in a good way or not to use a current pattern with it.

Some of the wool fabrics I think might be too dated for a full suit, but maybe a skirt.

Help!

carry
carry
Member since 10/26/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/8/13 2:53 AM

This is a really good question.It's mostly opinion about what is vintage. The re-introduction of classic vintage style seems to go by decade 20's,40's, 50's, ect. because the styles were so different from each other.The 50's styling with the high neckline, waist seam, full skirt is not even being called vintage because its really become a style for 2012-13. Some people look for fabric from the 50's to make it look even more authentic and manufacturers have started making repro fabric.A
garment 's vintageness[new word?]can be classified by the fabric it was made of. Before about 1935 there were no synthetics,then came rayon and later nylon.Polyester came in the late 60's and was the fabric of the 70's.Knits became really popular in the 70's-80's.Before that there were wool and cotton jersey but the polyester double knit and poly blend fabrics of 80's-90's seemed to take over.Most clothes now are polyester,viscose,
rayon blends with cotton or wool or by themselves.Even the priciest designers use synthetics though silks for evening wear and bridal suddenly appeared in 2000 and is easy to buy now for home sewing.I would guess that your fabric made up in a newer style would still look fine unless it was some color that was really typical of the 90's.The 90's styling has not become 'vintage' yet whatever it was we are still too close to it. But your wools will never go out of style.Wool is classic and has been used in every era.Synthetics will never replace its elegant qualities,just sew it in the trendiest skirts and jacket styles or an authentic 40's or 50's suit.

Andi
star
Andi
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Kimbercrow <<

Date: 4/8/13 9:22 AM

I have fabric from 1950-now! I don't think the fabric dates as quickly as the style. I feel like if you like the fabric, sew it up! If the fabric feels dated to you, and you know you will not enjoy making/wearing it, then don't and give it away! I have a few pieces I consider dated-some high end poly from the 60's-70's that my aunt had. I am saving it for costumes(it is only a few yards). the rest of the old stuff I love making up in something current.JMHO

woole bully

woole bully  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Indiana USA
Member since 8/9/06
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 4/9/13 11:22 AM

my opinion is that if you like the fabric and pattern AND you look good in it it is never out of fashion...

solosmocker
starstarstar
solosmocker
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 1/23/06
Send Message

Date: 4/14/13 9:55 AM

Just remember: if you wore that vintage style garment when it originally came out, you shouldn't be wearing it now. You will have the "grandma raided the back of her closet again" look. I think you can use the fabric but with updated styles so make sure you use current patterns. Then there's always bag linings. My elderly generous friend gave me tons of 80's poly silkies. They make great bag linings.

------
http://lasewist.blogspot.com/

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 8 members like this.

Date: 4/14/13 10:07 AM

Eclectic may be a better thought.

Fabric never goes out of style. It can be used for what it was originally intended, or repurposed.

Same for those old patterns. Some sell for more than when they were new.

Do whatever you are the most comfortable with.

Someone does not like it, "Bless your heart" or "That's nice" are good replies. That is southernbelle speak for stick it!

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

dove29

dove29  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 4/28/07
Send Message

Date: 4/14/13 4:43 PM

I thought it was "if you wore this fashion the last time around - or any previous time around, you get to opt out."

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

thumbsup 8 members like this.

Date: 4/15/13 2:31 PM

Do you ever wonder who makes up all these rules and better yet why do we follow them?

------
Ada

chloe888
chloe888
Intermediate
Member since 4/16/13
Send Message

Date: 4/16/13 11:55 PM

We are living in a world of any posibility. Nothing can be out of fashion, in my opinion. Fahion is what you believed it is! i love any clothing dresses well-designed and comfortable myself regardless of the trend.
-- Edited on 4/28/13 6:55 PM --

SecondHandRogue
star
SecondHandRogue  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Rhode Island USA
Member since 12/28/05
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 4/20/13 8:58 AM

It's funny, we all have different rules for ourselves and others. I feel that because I came of age in the 90s, I am entitled to my tights and boots for the rest of my life, never mind the fact that I'm clsing in on 40!

My adored MIL was in her early 20s in the late 60s, and so I think she always looks cool when she dresses a little boho. And she was still youngish in the 80s, and has worn ferragamo ballet slippers with jeans ever since. I think it's just her thing at this point, it's not dated, it's her personal style.

The only rule I adhere to is sort of the opposite of not wearing a style when it comes back. I think that being 40ish (or 60ish!) and still wearing the styles of our youths is just fine. But trying to appropriate the new fashions that are designed for juniors...that I'm not too crazy about. Its a little sad to see someone my age wearing a teenager's wardrobe.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fashion Styles and Trends >> Vintage or out of fashion?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Beginner Sewing Lab 103 - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Beginner Sewing Lab 103  - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Wrap Top

Christine Jonson Wrap Top

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.