SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Which Bernina should I consider? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Which Bernina should I consider?
retiredpagirl
star
retiredpagirl
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 12/14/03
Send Message

Date: 4/9/13 6:51 PM

I've been thinking about buying a Bernina for a long time but have only been lurking on here and reading reviews of different models.

I don't know if I should consider a used one or not. I have a Brother PQ1500S that I love for sewing all my quilts. I also have a Brother Symphony that I don't use very much. I've had an embroidery machine in the past but sold it so I don't need the embroidery option.

I just want a nice machine that will sew quilts.

I have a local dealer but have never gone in to look at machines because I don't want to be tempted to buy more than what I need...know what I mean. These are pretty pricey machines so I want to make sure I'm getting a good deal for my money.

I'd appreciate any advice.

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to retiredpagirl <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/9/13 8:07 PM

It all depends on what features you want. The 550QE gets good reviews. The harp space isn't as large as the 7 or 8 series. Your dealer may have used machines that have been traded in. Usually they come with a warranty of some kind, same as a floor model. You may be able to get more machine if you buy used. Consider the Artista line if he has any. I've bought used before and never had a problem.Take your fabrics into the dealer and sew on the machines that are in your budget. Get the feel of them. That is the best way to choose a machine. Ask a lot of questions. Maybe take a list of your wants such as BSR, harp space, lighting, etc.

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

retiredpagirl
star
retiredpagirl
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 12/14/03
Send Message

In reply to SewBusy63 <<

Date: 4/9/13 8:28 PM

Great advice. Thanks.

rgrogan
rgrogan
Member since 12/20/12
Send Message

Date: 4/9/13 9:14 PM

I recently went through the same dilemma. It is such a HARD choice.

I sew primarily garments and a few home dec items, but no quilting or embroidery. I originally purchased a used Artista 200E that had been upgraded to a 730E. It sewed beautifully, but had some issues with the embroidery and kept locking up. I've heard great reviews on these machines, so sure that it was just the one that I got, but my dealer stood behind it 110% and allowed me a full trade-in on something else.

In respect to the cost of new Bernina's, my budget was pretty limited but I really wanted a newer machine. My dealer had just received a trade-in on a 550QE, so I compared it (and turned to this forum) on the up's, down's and a comparison between the 550QE and the 710. They're pretty close but DO have some significant differences... mainly the throat size, BSR and the upper/lower thread indicators. Oh, and of course, the beautiful color display in the 710's. The difference in cost for me was $850 just for the machines and I would have had another $700 to add the BSR, so I really had to feel that the differences were worth the extra $$. As a quilter, you will LOVE the BSR.

For me, the 550QE was a better fit. I liked the smaller footprint, BSR to do thread painting and the fact that it fit in my budget and my cabinet. The machine feels comfortable to me, is very easy to navigate and is light enough for me to carry to classes or a friends for a "sew date". The buttonholes had to be perfect... And they are! And of course, you can't beat a Bernina quality. This last piece was the most important to me!

Bottom line is, you have to have a list of must have's and can't live withouts. Test each one on several different pieces of fabric that you regularly sew on, and see which one "sings" to you. Both the 550 and 710 are AWESOME machines and I think you would be very happy with either one of these options. I haven't looked at the 800 series but have heard great things about them too!

Have fun test driving!!

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TN USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

Date: 4/10/13 9:45 AM

Quote: retiredpagirl
I've been thinking about buying a Bernina for a long time but have only been lurking on here and reading reviews of different models.

I don't know if I should consider a used one or not.

You can also read all the discussion pages on Bernina, which can give you more "in the trenches" information than a review.

I've bought used Bernina in the past and it was a fantastic machine. I bought it from a Bernina dealer who knew the previous owner. It was a great machine and I regretted trading it in.
lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/10/13 9:54 AM

Nothing sews like a Bernina.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

retiredpagirl
star
retiredpagirl
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 12/14/03
Send Message

In reply to Doris W. in TN <<

Date: 4/10/13 10:51 AM

I didn't notice the discussion thread strictly on Bernina's until after I had posted this. I've been reading about them there and it is a great source of information.

I'm getting up the "courage" to visit my dealer next week. Our county fair is in August and I may be able to get a really good deal then because they always have a display.
-- Edited on 4/10/13 10:52 AM --

Skittl1321
star
Skittl1321
Advanced Beginner
IA USA
Member since 9/9/07
Send Message

Date: 4/10/13 10:57 AM

You really can't go wrong with a Bernina. Just go to the store and figure out what is in your budget that has the features you want.

As a quilter- my opinion is the BSR is overrated and too expensive. If it comes with your machine, fun (though see if you can trade it for an embroidery module if that doesn't come with it- some stores do that), if it doesn't, really test it before you decided to add it.

Artsewer
Artsewer  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 3/2/11
Send Message

In reply to Skittl1321 <<

Date: 4/10/13 12:40 PM

The BSR is good for a beginner Free Motion sewer. It helps you learn to pace stitches. I also like it in mode 2 as the needle only moves when you move the fabric. I find it more relaxing then using the foot pedal for long periods of time, in that way I think its worth the money in the long run. Often enough they come up for sale on sewitsforsale yahoo group for around 350 to 450. I don't know what they cost new now,
I never thought I would want to learn embroidery, but when I bought the 635 several years ago I decided to splurge and get the module too. I dont do a lot of embroidery but I do have fun with it and I like the fact of having lots of possibilites with the machine to grow into rather then grow out of.
-- Edited on 4/10/13 12:43 PM --

------
Bernina 750Q, 635E, 380, 1630
Serger 1100DC

rgrogan
rgrogan
Member since 12/20/12
Send Message

Date: 4/10/13 2:56 PM

The BSR is around $700 new (in my area). OUCH! If you think that there's a chance that you will use it, see if it comes with the model that you choose to buy or look on e-bay. I see them out there all the time for around $400-$500.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Which Bernina should I consider?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

My Image Magazine IW1003

photo
by: Kathhhhhy

Review
Christine Jonson Slit Skirt & Pencil Skirt

Christine Jonson Slit Skirt & Pencil Skirt

Buy Now
Bluegingerdoll The Betsy Pencil Skirt Paper Pattern

Bluegingerdoll The Betsy Pencil Skirt Paper Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.