SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Patterns for knits for kids? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Patterns for knits for kids?
Looking for knit dresses mostly...
Kalisews
Kalisews
Member since 2/8/13
Send Message

Date: 4/9/13 8:07 PM

OK... so I have been sewing for a long time. I started with home decor because I needed things, then quilted some because I wanted to and it looked neat, then moved on to making cute little dresses and things for my daughter when she was born. Of course the thing was I was terrified to follow a pattern (they seemed like they would be horribly confusing) so in all that time I just picked up fabric and sewed things. So this year I decide I am going to really teach myself to sew things "correctly". First--- WOW- sewing with a pattern makes things so much easier and quicker Yeah for me!!! and now I am hooked on making everything and even more adventurous things for me.

But really my issue is that I have all this fabric that I have bought to use, some recently and some in the past, that I can't find patterns for. There are tons of patterns for knit everything for me, but not for kids. My daughter loves wearing dresses every day (even if she needs to wear pants beneath because it is freezing out). I love the easiness of wear of knit fabric, she loves being able to dress herself by pulling things over her head without zippers and buttons and things. All her favorite RTW outfits from last year are basic long tank top style dresses.

Now, I can find tutorial style info on sewing these, but honestly this is how I have always functioned---just winging it. There is so much figuring, guessing, adjusting, guessing again. Now that I have started using patterns I want more.

So, is there any sources for knit dresses or tops patterns that I am missing here? Are there some patterns that I could use knits with if I went down a size or so?

wenznz
star
wenznz  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 7/8/11
online now
Send Message

Date: 4/9/13 9:40 PM

The first place I tend to look for childrens patterns is 'You Can Make This'. There are loads of small independent designers with some great ideas.
I note a lot of these patterns look to be woven, but am sure you could change to knits for some of the less froufrou ones.
YCMT Dress patterns

If you are looking for good wardrobe staples, you would do well to look at the
Ottobre magazines. A good portion of their patterns are for knits.
They release a childrens issue four times a year (seasonally), and you could sew an entire co-ordinted wardrobe from any single issue if you wanted to. If you go to the Ottobre page and click on any of the magazine covers, it will show you all of the patterns in that issue.
A point to note with the Ottobre's is that they are a similar format to the Burda mags, in that you need to trace the patterns from a big sheet and add your own seam allowances.
-- Edited on 4/9/13 9:42 PM --

------
Wendy
Wellington, New Zealand

MartiP
MartiP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/5/12
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/9/13 10:07 PM

Try Kwik Sew and Oliver+S. I have used the KS Butterfly tops pattern and lenghtened it for dresses. Some of the Oliver patterns do the same.

------
MartiP

Ruckertt's Law; There is nothing so small that it can't be blown out of proportion.

Bernina 1230 Bernette 007D
Brother CS6000i Brother 2340 CV
New Home L372
Singer 221K (off white)
U.S Blindstitch, Model SL 718/2D
Simplicity SE2
Brother 700II

Speech girl
starstar
Speech girl  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 5/11/03
Send Message

Date: 4/9/13 10:12 PM

You've been given good suggestions--I have a couple more to add: Burda, Sew Baby and Onion. Onion patterns are available with English translations from Shop Onion.

------
Kim
formerly mikkim
http://girlwithatimemachine.wordpress.com/

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/10/13 8:00 AM

Most girls patterns are mainly variations on a bodice and gathered skirt. But there are tons of cute Freebies online which don't take much paper to print out. Here are some starters:

Olive and S Popover Sundress with matching one for her doll
Dana-made-it.com always comes up with cute stuff
Luckypennymake has a cute Rock Collecting skirt
Modkidboutique another dress
Prudentbaby has a fast Racerback T dress for knits
And of course all the shirred and pillowcase-type dresses are quick to sew.

B

B
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 12/5/03
Send Message

Date: 4/10/13 8:44 AM

Also check Jalie as they go from tiny to adult.

------
Janome serger 634D, Brother PC6000, Singer 500A, Kenmore Mini-Ultra, vintage Bernina 600, White Rotary treadle, New Homestead A VS treadle

SewingMom
star
SewingMom
Intermediate
CANADA
Member since 4/9/02
Send Message

Date: 4/10/13 8:54 AM

I've sewn knits dresses extensively for my 3 girls. Ottobre is a great resource. Many of our favourite knit dress patterns are from Ottobre, but it does require tracing and the instructions are not super detailed. If you're not ready to invest in a subscription you can browse the issues online and purchase single issues to try them out. If you want to start smaller than that though here are a few of our most beloved dress patterns.

Farbenmix Olivia Dress
https://www.farbenmix.de/en/olivia.html
I've only ever sewn the under dress, but I have literally sewn well over 100 of them. It's a cute pattern and very adaptable. I've made it with hood, without hood, cowl neckline, split collar neckline, added princess seams (and colour blocked), I've decreased the hemline flare, added and empire seam to the front, changed the sleeve style to raglan...It's very versatile and works up in anything from heavy velour to lightweight jersey.

Farbenmix Whitney
http://www.farbenmix.de/de/whitney.html
For something with a more summery flare we really liked this one. I haven't made it as extensively as the Olivia, but we were really pleased with the results.

Butterick 3316
I think this is OOS, but it's another tried and true pattern at this house. It runs a bit large, so measure the pattern pieces to see what size might work best for you in the width and then just lengthen the skirt and sleeves as necessary. This is another very verasatile pattern that works up in everything from velour to lightweight jersey. It looks really cute with a turtleneck or cowlneck too. You should still be able to purchase the pattern on ebay or etsy or some place like that.

HTH

Kalisews
Kalisews
Member since 2/8/13
Send Message

Date: 4/10/13 9:45 AM

Thank you SO much ladies. I have been searching the internet for over a week and have found none of this info. I will look at all of these and find some to try.

I have heard Ottobre before in other threads, but hadn't really taken a look as I was worried about tracing. That was before I was on a desperate search for knits though so I think I am going to give it a shot. Can't hurt to order one and see if I can do it. I was worried about sewing a pattern at first too and look how that turned out

Pj3g
star
Pj3g  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Wisconsin USA
Member since 2/14/11
Send Message

Date: 4/10/13 10:23 AM

You didn't say what size you're looking for. I think New Look 6822 is exactly what you're looking for. It has a buy now option and the price with shipping is reasonable. It's sized 3-8 so depending on your daughter's size it could last you several years.

And yes you can sew patterns meant for wovens with knits. If it calls for a zipper in the back you wouldn't need it if the neck is large enough to pull over your daughter's head. It's easy to increase the neckline and the back piece can also be cut as a whole. Kwiksew 3862 is a meant for woven pattern but would work for knits. I am making it for my GD in that totally ruffled knit fabic. It's a bit see through so I am lining it in a stretch lining and I am still deciding whether to put in a zipper or not. If you use a knit that is a super slinky or weighty then you would need to put the dress on a hanger for a day or two to let it hang as that type of knit would lengthen as it hangs. Other than that you would have no problems.

Kwiksew 3501 is a totally cute knit pattern that little girls love--made it for my GD. I made all the pieces and everything is super easy to sew and the skirt is twirly. It has a tank top in the pattern and that you could so easily make as long as you would like it to be. And I just made her Kwiksew 3958 which I need to review. There is also Kwiksew 3959 If you buy either of those, well then you have to get Kwiksew 3965 for dolls to match.

Kwiksew 3861 is a knit top that would make a great dress--just add length.

If you need some more ideas let us know and let us know the size range you're looking for!

-- Edited on 4/10/13 10:30 AM --

------
Thank you Lord for my Mother who taught me the joy of sewing, for my Father who encouraged my sewing, for the talent You gave me to sew, and for all the special people in my life to sew for.

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

In reply to Kalisews <<

Date: 4/10/13 10:49 AM

Google "free girls dress/skirt Tutorials" to find the Mommy Blogs.
Thinkliz.com has compiled a large list.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Patterns for knits for kids?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Understanding Knit Fabrics
Understanding Knit Fabrics

Class Details

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Class Details

Vogue Patterns 1033 OOP

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Butterick 4513

photo
by: CaitlinH

Review
THE COLLARS - A CD Book by Kenneth King

THE COLLARS - A CD Book by Kenneth King

More Info
SewBaby Snap Happy Booties Pattern

SewBaby Snap Happy Booties Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.