SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fitting Woes > Lazy but practical-hire a dressmaker to make a sloper ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Lazy but practical-hire a dressmaker to make a sloper
Have difficulty fitting myself.
CarolynD
star
CarolynD
Intermediate
New Jersey USA
Member since 12/31/05
Send Message

Date: 4/10/13 1:49 AM

I thought if I just go to a local dressmaker and have them make a fitted muslin sloper with wearing ease, that I could just use that for most everything I sew in the future. I could pivot darts, add extra ease as needed, etc. I could just overlay it over other patterns to be better assured of a fit. I have had poor results even after trying to do full bust adjustments, etc. Constant problems are gaping back necklines, too big in the shoulders, arm hole gaps, too tight, improper bust point, etc.

I have narrow shoulders, and a 34" above the bust measurement.Then my full bust is 39", and my waist is 30 and my hips 40. So I am a few different sizes and it is just so much darn work to alter every pattern by making 2 or 3 muslins--why not just pay to have this done?

Can anyone recommend- Would it be best to have side darts and below bust darts-and lines for waist, maybe have a sleeve made too? Generally what would the cost of something like this range?

I think it would be worth the expense. Goodness knows I spend too much time with these fitting issues. I cannot go to any workshops because of my schedule.

Does this seem like a good idea?

Carolyn
-- Edited on 4/10/13 1:51 AM --

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/10/13 2:59 AM

It's a fantastic idea! Had I done this years ago I would have saved a lot of time, money, and agravation.

You could probably do it on your own---eventually. It is so much easier to have someone else fit you, especially a pro.

I say go for it.

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

Irina Grace
Irina Grace
Advanced
Member since 7/18/11
Send Message

Date: 4/10/13 3:09 AM

It is a great idea to have a muslin custom made to your measurements. I would say if you know a dressmaker why can draft a pattern and fit your muslin well on you - go for it! You will need your drafted pattern of a muslin too so do not forget to ask about that at the beginning. I suggest to make a dress pattern/muslin with sleeves. Also want to mention that basic muslin dress patterns (at least those drafting methods that I know) are not cut at the waist and uses a dart from a shoulder to a high point of a bust that continues down to the hem. After that you can move the bust dart from a shoulder to a side seam.

------
Irina Grace
English is my Second Language

Lena Merrin
star
Lena Merrin
Expert/Couture
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/5/09
Send Message

Date: 4/10/13 5:27 AM

I have done it for a lady not long ago - a bodice with sleeves and trousers, drafted for her and muslin sewn and fitted. She had exactly the same problem as you describe :))

------
www.iconicpatterns.com

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

Date: 4/10/13 8:32 AM

This sounds like a great idea, but I don't think I could ever figure out how to apply the sloper/muslin to a pattern I want to use. If the garment you want to make is a different style, where to do you place the sloper? Do you line up the shoulders, or the side seams, or the neck? I guess it would be a new trick this old dog would have to learn

unfinishedprojects
starstar
unfinishedprojects  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alberta CANADA
Member since 8/26/07
Send Message

Date: 4/10/13 11:17 AM

This is how to use it: The Merits of a Basic Fitting Pattern

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to unfinishedprojects <<

Date: 4/10/13 12:01 PM

Thank you Unfiinishedprojects, this is exactly what I needed to see to understand the process

sewsally
star
sewsally  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 8/18/02
Send Message

Date: 4/10/13 1:41 PM

Thank for posting the link to the Karen Howland article.

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to CarolynD <<

Date: 4/10/13 4:26 PM

I'd suggest you get a fitting shell of a pattern company you like, and use that to have fitted. That way, when you buy that pattern again, you can remember what changes needed to be made. Or you can cut the fitting shell apart and use that to make your sloper (out of cardboard). I did this with a SureFit Designs Dress kit and it's great to have fun with it. Recently I made a jacket like top and removed the darts, added to the shoulders for a shoulder pad, and did a few other things.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

CarolynD
star
CarolynD
Intermediate
New Jersey USA
Member since 12/31/05
Send Message

Date: 4/11/13 0:07 AM

Thanks for everyone's comments. I am going to make a sloper out
of this:

http://www.burdastyle.com/pattern_store/patterns/pleated-peplum-top-112012

for a bodice I think. It looks like a good beginning. I think I could split the waist dart in 2 and add a bust dart if I want. Burda doesn't make a sloper anymore! Too bad. I really like the way Burda patterns fit. I am taller than most people and their patterns don't run so short on me, and there is more bust room in the patterns I have tried from them. I found a woman who teaches sewing and fitting, so she will explain concepts to me.

Also here is a good page that explains the concept nicely. I still have a hard time understanding this.

Carolyn
-- Edited on 4/11/13 0:16 AM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> Lazy but practical-hire a dressmaker to make a sloper

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns
Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 08-2005-102

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
BurdaStyle Magazine 06-2009-125

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
Petite Plus Patterns Swing Coat

Petite Plus Patterns Swing Coat

Buy Now
Petite Plus 502 Pattern

Petite Plus 502 Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.