SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Can an embroidery machine do this? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Can an embroidery machine do this?
Trying to create J'Aton inspired gown
ysadora
ysadora
Member since 1/11/13
Send Message

Date: 4/10/13 4:32 PM

I'm looking at embroidery machines (specifically, Bernina and Viking) for the purpose of being able to make evening gowns with intricate custom embroidery like this:

and
!

Could a home-use embroidery machine create this look? If so, which model would you recommend? And can the machines do embroidering on netting?

Thank you

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MD
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to ysadora <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/10/13 4:35 PM

Yes it could but not for beginners.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

ysadora
ysadora
Member since 1/11/13
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf <<

Date: 4/10/13 4:55 PM

Thanks quiltingwolf! Could a beginner eventually learn if there was good dealer support? Do you have a recommendation for a machine/brand? I've briefly looked at the Viking Designer Diamond and at the Bernina 830 TOL machine. But I have no frame of reference between the two brands and plan to bring some fabric and test. Which features should I look for to be able to do embroidery like this?

biochemistress

biochemistress  Friend of PR
Advanced
VA USA
Member since 11/8/05
Send Message

Date: 4/10/13 5:14 PM

The embroidery, yes. The beading, no. I assume you'd like to make dresses as a business? If so, only a commercial machine would give you the speed, accuracy, and warranty to make these possible.

ysadora
ysadora
Member since 1/11/13
Send Message

In reply to biochemistress <<

Date: 4/10/13 5:41 PM

Yes, I'm doing gowns as a home business. I currently already do bead embroidery by hand, I'm just needing the embroidery part. I only do custom gowns one at a time, so I'm not looking to mass-produce. Do I still need an embroidery machine? If so, where would I go about getting one of those?

ysadora
ysadora
Member since 1/11/13
Send Message

In reply to ysadora <<

Date: 4/10/13 5:42 PM

Also, I don't necessarily need it to be super fast, as I'm ok with taking my time for a gown.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 4/10/13 5:50 PM

Dealer support for what you wish to do is non-existent. They may offer to sell software to digitize artwork, but not as intricate as what you want to do.

I did state "sell" and that is about all you will find at a dealer.

Classes, or even the instructions for the software will show you how to digitize simple clip-art but not designs with the detail you will want.

Professional software and classes taught by experts in the field of digitizing are super expensive and time consuming.

And, I would go with Brother and neither of the two you have mentioned.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

ysadora
ysadora
Member since 1/11/13
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 4/10/13 6:06 PM

Thank you PattyAnnJ - which Brother model do you recommend? It sounds like you are pretty experienced with embroidery.

TammyAnn
star
TammyAnn
Intermediate
NY USA
Member since 10/11/12
Send Message

Date: 4/10/13 7:49 PM

Boy that is a loaded question! Yes you probably could get a home embroidery machine to produce results like above but only after much practice. If I were you the first thing I'd do is Google embroidery machines and familiarize yourself with them and what options each brand and model has to offer and then I would go to every machine dealer in your area and just start test driving the embroidery machines. You are also going to want to familiarize yourself with embroidery software (which can cost thousands) which you will need to manipulate purchased designs and/or create your own designs. You are probably going to want a machine with a large hoop. Also you should pick the brand of machine that you are most comfortable using and has the options YOU want, the Pfaff Creative Sensation is a very popular high end machine but I am very happy with my mid range babylock Ellageo, it's all about what you want and need as well as what you're willing to spend.

sew2006
star
sew2006
Advanced
ON CANADA
Member since 6/24/06
Send Message

In reply to ysadora <<

Date: 4/10/13 8:11 PM

A couple of things to consider when embroidering lace designs...they have a lot of stitches especially those created to be free standing lace. Free standing lace is basically embroidery done on water soluable stabilizer with top and bobbin thread, when the design is complete the stabilizer is rinsed away. Look at emblibrary as they have a large variety of these designs. Most machines stitch out lace best at apr 600 stitches per minute and larger 5x7 designs can be 50000 plus per design. The quality of the machine will determine how much thread breakage there is on small intricate designs. Not all machines will embroider at the top speed, slower again will add time. If you are making the gowns as they are being embroidered you need the space between the needle/right of machine, bigger hoop will allow fewer hoopings increasing the accuracy of design placement. A lot that goes into doing lace is the digitising...creating a "recipe" so the machine knows what type of stitch, lenght, density, width and dirrection is needed to create a design. Than many many hours of testing designs is needed or purchase designs already created. Best lessons in digitizing is by Stitchitize, they sell DVD's and he uses Janome software. He's done workshops at Janome institute and the Creative needle work shows.

------
Janome10001, Babylock ESG3, Brother ULT 2001, White 634D serger, Pfaff 1472, Singer featherweight, Singer 14T957Dc, Bernina FunLock 009DCC coverlock, Brother PQ1500S, Janome CP900.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Can an embroidery machine do this?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Kwik Sew 3606

photo
by: twilltape

Review
You Sew Girl 150mm Poppet Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 150mm Poppet Purse Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Nikko Jacket Pattern

Sewing Workshop Nikko Jacket Pattern

Buy Now
Japanese Pattern Books Stylish Dress Book 1

photo
by: Nancywin

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.