SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Tempur Mattresses? ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Tempur Mattresses?
In the market for a new mattress
Sarsez
star
Sarsez
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 7/2/09
Send Message

Date: 4/11/13 4:54 AM

Dh and I have just spent the day looking for a new mattress. Although out of our price bracket, we tried out a fancy Tempur mattress and now wished we hadn't because it was very comfortable. But as my husband pointed out, if this bed does everything it claims to, he wouldn't mind paying the price.

So has anyone had any experience with these beds? Do they get "hot" to lie on after awhile? How do they last?
Unfortunately, no-one we know has one.

------
24th Nov 12 to 28th Nov 13
Fabric and patterns rules for me.
Remember to shop your stash girl!
Remember to keep sewing to your wardrobe plan!

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TN USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to Sarsez <<

Date: 4/11/13 9:10 AM

The memory foam mattresses are a little warmer than a traditional mattress, but we don't think it's much warmer. There have been discussions here before on the memory foam, so do a board search in the Misc. category for mattress and Tempurpedic and see what shows up.

DH and I love, love, love our Tempur-pedic mattress. We bought our first on 12 years ago and it solved a lot of my chronic low back pain. We gave it to our DS and DDIL 18 months ago and upgraded to a basic Cloud model, which we love even more.

Nowadays, there are several models and many of them are very thick/deep. The thick ones are awful and it's impossible to turn oneself over when lying on it. It would hurt my back instead of help it. We needed a crane even to get out of the silly thing on the showroom floor. Gah. I sometimes wonder if the people who hate Tempur-pedics were on one of those really thick versions. I would hate it, too.

The 9-inch thick basic Cloud model is perfect for us and it is still easy to roll over while lying on it. It has the classic medium-firm base with a soft "topper" feeling to it. We love it!

Consumer Reports magazine recently rated memory foam mattresses. Try to get a copy of the magazine article. (I won't share the info here due to copyright issues)

schmammy
star
schmammy  Friend of PR
TX USA
Member since 12/5/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/11/13 9:51 AM

Two years ago my husband and I took the plunge. I'm not sure which version we have but we got the Ergo, too. We have no regrets about going with Tempurpedic. My lumbar pain eased after just the first night. Now I hate to sleep away from home (a major drawback for all folks who love their mattresses, right?)

As for temperature, I do get warm at times, but my husband never does. Apparently they have addressed some of the heat issues with the new bamboo layer and other changes. The one thing I would change is that I wish we'd gotten the split king and Ergo because my husband has developed respiratory problems which are eased if he can sleep with his head elevated. My brother has had his Tempurpedic for over 20 years and it has maintained it's shape amazingly well.

Having said all this, don't buy anything without researching Sleep Number mattresses. They weren't the right choice for us but several friends swear by them.

------
Indecision may or may not be my problem. -Jimmy Buffet

http://chihuahuaonmylap.blogspot.com/

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/11/13 9:53 AM

Quote:
The thick ones are awful and it's impossible to turn oneself over when lying on it. It would hurt my back instead of help it. We needed a crane even to get out of the silly thing on the showroom floor. Gah. I sometimes wonder if the people who hate Tempur-pedics were on one of those really thick versions. I would hate it, too.

This was our experience while trying them out. One salesperson went as far as to say they would not sell one to anyone who was elderly or frail as they would not be able to get in and out of it. And they are indeed very warm. Even testing in the stores made me uncomfortable. Not good for anyone in a *certain stage of life*

But the new one we got (more of a standard style with a thin pillow top) is extremely comfy. Better than getting a new car as far as impact on day to day life.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

NottaWadder
star
NottaWadder
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/17/12
Send Message

Date: 4/11/13 10:03 AM

We have the Tempur-pedic Cloud Luxe (one of those thick ones mentioned above that some people do not seem to like). We love it. We started with a regular Cloud but it felt like sleeping on a brick! So you really have to try each type and figure out what is best for you. Go with the lowest priced one that you think you will like and then if you are not happy with it, you can just pay the difference (within 60 days, I think??) to get a higher one. You cannot go the opposite direction though, meaning you cannot go down in price, only up in price.

We wanted the ergo with the split king but the mattress was already so expensive we just could not do it. But I have recently started having worse back problems and need to sleep on my back with some tilt, so we went back to our dealer to see what was what with the ergo bases. We got lucky, he had a few display models for HALF price! Wow, just unheard of. So we jumped on it.

We still will not have the split which I think might cause some problems until the time when my husband retires. But in the meantime we have the adjustable base and maybe some time in the future we might be able to afford the split. My husband says he will adapt to the single control, so we will see how all that goes.

The frame will be delivered this weekend. Can hardly wait. In the meantime we are still super happy with our Cloud Luxe. We have had it for 2 years and it still looks brand new. They do not develop sags like the rest of the mattresses we have seen. I am quite confident it is the last bed we will ever need. (unless we are lucky enough to get a split in the future).

I have all kinds of back/hip/arthritis/osteoporosis problems and I have no problems getting in and out of the bed (other than what I would have anyway). I am also hot all of the time and this bed has not made it worse by any means. My husband has not noticed it at all.

But as said above, do check out the Sleep Number first (we did not like them but lots of people swear by them) and also the I-Comfort. My sister went with that one and is very happy.

------
My Singer crew:
Sergei - Serger 14T968DC (set up as coverstitch)
Stella - Serger Stylist II 14J250 (set up as main overlock)
Quincy - Quantum 9960 (my main SM)
Newest addition: Stevie, my very first Featherweight! (221 Centennial)

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TN USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

Date: 4/11/13 4:30 PM

As far as "how long do they last".... before our TempurPedic mattress, we had a major brand name (Sealy or Serta, can't remember which) traditional mattress that was not cheap and it was worthless after five years. Never again. The 12-year old TempurPedic we gave our son and DDIL was in excellent condition. I think they are warranted for 20 or 25 years.
-- Edited on 4/11/13 4:31 PM --

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

Date: 4/11/13 5:04 PM

We've had our Tempurpedic for 10 or so years and it's still just like the day we got it. It eliminated the hip ache issues I used to have, my back doesn't hurt in the morning, and I love how it warms up. We have the pillows too.
Good luck with your search!

solosmocker
starstarstar
solosmocker
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 1/23/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/11/13 7:32 PM

I sold furniture, which included all sorts of mattresses, for many years. Half of this particular mattress came back as returns. It go to the point where we were losing money with so many returns so we stopped carrying them. A couple of our competitors did the same.

If it were me I would buy one of the mattresses that are made traditionally but have a very very thick layer of latex foam on top. They are extremely comfortable, not hot, don't sink in, hypo allergenic, yada yada yada....

The Temperpedica either works for your or it doesn't. If you are on the large side, over, 250, or are frail, I would give it serious thought before buying.

------
http://lasewist.blogspot.com/

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
ON
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to solosmocker <<

Date: 4/11/13 8:52 PM

Quote:
The Temperpedica either works for your or it doesn't.

I've heard that too. Some people hate it, but then discover they can't return it. It's hard to know how to really test this out beforehand, other than perhaps visiting a relative who has one in their guest room and trying it out for a few nights.

I once bought a Tempurpedic pillow and found it to be hard as a rock. I returned it (if it had been a mattress, I'm not sure I could have done this).

If you're really leaning towards this kind of mattress, make extra-sure the store will accept it back with no penalty if you don't like it, or will exchange it.

-- Edited on 4/11/13 8:53 PM --

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Kim12469
starstarstar
Kim12469
Beginner
MT USA
Member since 3/27/08
Send Message

Date: 4/11/13 10:26 PM

I've purchased several off brand ones through Overstock. I bought my first for less than $500 and loved it. I figured if I didn't like it I wasn't put much.

------
http://kimsewsilly.blogspot.com/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Tempur Mattresses?

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Simplicity 5986

photo
by: Char in KS

Review
Sewing Workshop Chicago Jacket

Sewing Workshop Chicago Jacket

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Kids Beret Pattern

You Sew Girl Kids Beret Pattern

Buy Now
Sure-Fit Designs Pants Kit

photo
by: MissMarnie

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.