SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Techniques and Tips > Do you unplug your machines when not in use? ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Do you unplug your machines when not in use?
And how?
sky
star
sky
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 12/4/03
Send Message

Date: 4/12/13 12:58 PM

Last year I had a board go on my sewing machine, and since then, I have been unplugging it between uses. But, I am wondering if that is really necessary, or if I can just turn off the surge protector. I worry about wearing out the connections on either the outlet end or the machine ends.

How do you do it? Or do you do it?

We just moved and the utility room where I have my machines need new/more outlets (actually the whole house needs more outlets) so I'm going to put a wall outlet or strip above the desk--it will be convenient at least if that the best way to care for them.

61sew4fun
61sew4fun
Expert/Couture
Washington USA
Member since 4/13/12
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 4/12/13 1:25 PM

I always turn off at the surge protector. We have lots of outages where I live and I've never had any problems.

------
61sew4fun

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/12/13 3:08 PM

Same as 61sew4fun, I have my machine plugged into a surge protector that I turn off when I'm done sewing for the night. I do make sure and cover my machine when I'm not using it because my house is DUSTY.

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

Janie Viers
star
Janie Viers  Friend of PR
Advanced
Ohio USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/12/13 3:33 PM

I have a an expensive industrial (well to me the bright orange color screams work) and two lesser quality models. I have the iron and iron task lights on one cheaper and the cutting light and tv on another one, then the sewing machine and all task lights on a third. If I leave the room and there's a light on cause it daylight, my DH walks through the basement at night to doublecheck. If a light is, on he investigates and turns them off.... I am a lucky woman.

------
JanieV

Sewncooknmom
Sewncooknmom
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/2/12
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 4/12/13 4:31 PM

Mine is on a surge protector. Honestly, I am probably being overly protective of my sm. But, I do both unplug my sm and turn off my surge protector. I don't do that to my other stuff that is plugged into the protector. Just my sm.

missticky2
missticky2
Intermediate
Member since 12/14/09
Send Message

Date: 4/12/13 4:46 PM

I have my machines plugged into a surge protector. I unplug the surge protector when I'm not sewing. Heaven forbid if a lightning strike ran down the cable and through the board to my machine (we get a lot of summer storms here). Maybe I'm over cautious but I feel happier doing that :)

------
Blessings
Janice

iSewQuiltArt
star
iSewQuiltArt
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 4/4/08
Send Message

Date: 4/12/13 4:51 PM

I unplug and this is why, if there is an electrical storm and the machine is plugged into the power point whether or not you have a surge unit on it your machine will still fry if the house is hit by a bolt of lightening.
It also eliminates the possibility of repeated spikes damaging the machine, if there is a spike strong enough to kill the surge board and then another after that your machine is not protected.
Not to mention cuts down on any potential electrical fire risk just by having less plugged in should there be a fault develop.
I would not worry about wearing out the connections, these can be replaced if ever they need to be by a repairer. I can't see plugs wearing out if you are careful when using them, after al there are vintage electrical goods still around workiing just fine decades after they were made.

------
Quilting up a storm
Bernina Girl, in possession of a small herd...

Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/12/13 5:13 PM

I have evrything plugged into a surge protector and I unplug the surge protector. I have always thought that ligtning could affect a unit even if it is off and plugged into the surge unit.

------
Elna Excellence 740, Pfaff Quilt expression 4.0, Janome 300E, Brother 8500D, Babylock Ellageo, Janome 900CPX CoverPro, Brother 5234 Project Runway Serger, Singer Treadle, Singer 66, Singer 99

http://juliannasjourney.blogspot.com/

Kippysan
star
Kippysan
Intermediate
Member since 4/19/11
online now
Send Message

In reply to sky <<

Date: 4/12/13 5:19 PM

No, but I'm going to start unplugging it, now that I've read the posts. Thanks for bringing this up.

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 4/12/13 5:45 PM

I have mine plugged into a surge protector and I just flip the switch when done sewing. BUT - no electronics in my machines and very, very rare electrical storms here. I use the surge protector because the outlets are hard to get to with my sewing room setup.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> Do you unplug your machines when not in use?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Vogue Patterns 8414

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
You Can Make This Forget Me Knot Dress

photo
by: JanElise

Review
Victoria Jones Collection Busy Diva Apron and Star Potholder

Victoria Jones Collection Busy Diva Apron and Star Potholder

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Inset Jacket

Christine Jonson Inset Jacket

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.