SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Fusible interfacing glue on iron plate ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Fusible interfacing glue on iron plate
Did something really dumb!
Muldini
Muldini
Intermediate
Member since 9/29/10
Send Message

Date: 4/13/13 4:23 PM

Argh! I hope someone can help!

I've just been fusing some interfacing to some fabric and accidentally got some of the glue on the hot iron plate. How am I going to get it off??

(My go-to plan is vinegar because that cleans everything)

Silk Challis
star
Silk Challis
Advanced
International UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 10/15/08
Send Message

Date: 4/13/13 4:30 PM

Wait for the iron to be cold and try with washing up liquid on a sponge.

Rhey
Rhey
Intermediate
Member since 6/26/11
Send Message

In reply to Muldini <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/13/13 4:35 PM

It happens, over and over if you're me. My go to method is to crank it up to its highest setting and scrape it against an old towel, but I'm not sure that works once it's cooled. People have had good results with iron cleaners, rubbing alcohol, and ironing on a dryer sheet. Try to always use a press cloth when fusing interfacing, it saves a lot of grief.

Red Dragon
star
Red Dragon
Intermediate
Australia
Member since 2/4/08
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 4/13/13 6:33 PM

I've done that more times than I remember. Apart from the removal methods already mentioned, I recommend keeping a cheap iron just for interfacing, so it matters less if the sole plate gets scratched from repeatedly cleaning crud off it.

------
Tracy, Canberra

Janome 7700QCP, Janome 4618QC, Husky S25 overlock/coverstitch

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 4/13/13 6:56 PM

I wonder if a non-steam iron would be best for this sort of work. Easier to clean (maybe), and since a damp press cloth is what's recommended anyway,the steam holes only impress themselves into the cloth.

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

StitchyMama
StitchyMama
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 1/16/13
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 4/13/13 9:44 PM

I've had good luck with Dritz Iron-Off. Squirt a little on to some scrap fabric and run the hot iron over it until clean.

------
Brenda
My blog: Stitch 1 Stitch 2
Knitting/Sewing/Life in general
http://stitch1stitch2.blogspot.com/

Teeavilnor
star
Teeavilnor  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Connecticut USA
Member since 10/12/07
Send Message

In reply to Muldini <<

Date: 4/13/13 10:46 PM

I use EZ Off I keep a rag ready and clean it right as it happens. Wipe it on with a hot iron and wipe off with another dry cloth. Works great, I use steam a seam and I'm always getting the glue on my iron.

------
Teri
Janome Sew Precise, DC4030PR, 634D, & 900CP,
Singer 1952 15-91
Great sewing is knowing exactly, what your machine will do.

Aunt Gail
star
Aunt Gail
Advanced Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 4/28/08
Send Message

In reply to StitchyMama <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/14/13 0:00 AM

the Dritz iron off is the best stuff. I've tried some of the homemade recipies...generally involving some combo of vinegar and baking soda or salt...they are time consuming and are not as effective by any means. Additionally they can permanently scratch the iron plate--and that is horrible if one has a great iron!

I try to use my 50% off coupon from my local Jo ann's to stock up on it when I'm not needing anything else. It's fairly expensive -- namely because I have to use about 1/4 of the tube each time to really get the mess off my iron plate.

I like the suggestion I read about using a junky iron just for interfacing work. I always see lots of them for sale @ the local good will or other charity stores.

Muldini
Muldini
Intermediate
Member since 9/29/10
Send Message

Date: 4/14/13 6:48 AM

Thanks for the help everyone, I did use a pressing cloth but got glue on that and then accidentally put it back down wrong side up. Doh.

I'm going to see if there's some suitable cleaners at the shops this afternoon and will let you know how everything turns out!

(For what it's worth I've had rudimentary success with a spray upholstery cleaner...just the first thing I saw in the cupboard)

madhatress

madhatress  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 1/21/04
Send Message

In reply to Muldini <<

Date: 4/14/13 7:51 AM

One method I've had success with in the past is ironing foil, shiny side up, with table salt on it. I can't remember who taught me that trick, but it works.

------
Nadia
Tech lover!
Old black Singer (99?), Viking Designer Diamond, Bernina 750QE, Pfaff Creative 4.0, Viking Tribute 140C, Brother CV 2340 and Babylock Imagine Wave

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Fusible interfacing glue on iron plate

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Simplicity 2206

photo
by: Lixost

Review
Ottobre Woman Magazine 05-2012-7

photo
by: dolcevita

Review
Favorite Things An Everyday Bag Pattern

Favorite Things An Everyday Bag Pattern

Buy Now
Shapes Nine Lives Vest Pattern

Shapes Nine Lives Vest Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.