SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Best Way To Attach Bead Applique ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Best Way To Attach Bead Applique
pederzani
pederzani
Member since 6/21/11
Send Message

Date: 4/15/13 1:16 PM

Hi! I recently purchased a beaded applique that I would like to add to a simple black shift dress (yet to be made). The applique looks like this.

I've never done any applique work, and can't seem to find any info online that is for a beaded applique. Any help at all would be much appreciated.

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 10/1/03
Send Message

Date: 4/15/13 1:22 PM

I think a lot of the "how" will depend on the dress - and how close to the edge you want the applique.

It looks like you could sew through the fabric/ribbon that is around the edges - either folding them under and sewing by hand, or using that edge as the seam allowance. Or maybe you want it to show? I can't tell from the photo if it's nice enough to show or obviously supposed to be hidden - some are really obvious, lol.

You could adjust the shape/size of a yoke or collar to match it - and the turning or attaching of those pieces would be how you attach it.

pederzani
pederzani
Member since 6/21/11
Send Message

In reply to DonnaH <<

Date: 4/15/13 1:25 PM

I think I want to have none of the non beaded mesh visible. I'm altering the neckline to match as well. It's a VERY simple dress, I'm going to a kind of a 1920's look.
Should I hand stitch and trim the mesh? I'm a total newbie when it comes to applique.

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 10/1/03
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/15/13 1:34 PM

I wouldn't trim the mesh - I'd sew it on right sides together right up on the edge (where the beads meet the mesh). The mesh would still be there - but as the inside seam allowance. And it appears it would already be "finished" (the edges of the mesh look finished from the photo).

If you can't get that close w/ your machine (using a zipper foot might make it doable), then sew it by hand.

If it's in a spot where that's not possible, I'd fold the mesh under (press it with a cool iron if you can, finger press if you can't) and then hand sew (slip stitch) the folded edge down. You might also want to add a few tiny stitches throughout the beads to tack it down.

pederzani
pederzani
Member since 6/21/11
Send Message

In reply to DonnaH <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/15/13 1:41 PM

So if the dress is unlined, Could I use bias tape to stabalize/finish the neckline. I'm okay with it being sheer where the applique is, and am assuming the mesh would be strong enough to keep everything together while wearing.

Ps you're being a big help, thanks!

pederzani
pederzani
Member since 6/21/11
Send Message

Date: 4/17/13 9:09 AM

Bump!

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

In reply to pederzani <<

Date: 4/17/13 9:19 AM

You could do that. I think I would be inclined to use the applique piece as the top of the dress instead of sewing it onto the top of the dress.
You could cut a matching 'facing, sew the applique and facing right sides together at the top of the applique, turn it right sides out, and then sew it to the dress at the applique bottom right sides together. That way both top and bottom seams are finished and you don't need to worry about a neckline facing flapping around.

------
Stash: 172.5 yds. @ 12.27.14

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 4/17/13 10:18 AM

I would vote for making the dress first, with the applique area made in your main fabric, then attaching the applique. The backing on most of the ones I have used is not really strong enough to stand up to being worn as part of the dress. The weight of the dress would likely pull away from the applique unless you put a full second backing on it.

If you can get someone to pin the applique on the dress while you wear it, that will help give the best fit without any pulls or bulges. Then hand sew it on with the the sheer fabric turned under right up to the beading, whip stitching the edges and then dong some strategic tacking through the body of the applique. I tend to do a sturdy tack then a series of longish running stitches, try it on again and do some more. If the dress has a lining, just stitch through the main fabric so those stitches are protected.

I don't think I have any photos of the work in progress, but here is one of my gowns with some appliques. There are rhinestones added (glued) around the edges of them.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

pederzani
pederzani
Member since 6/21/11
Send Message

In reply to tourist <<

Date: 4/18/13 12:28 PM

Thank you!

What kind of thread would you suggest?

pederzani
pederzani
Member since 6/21/11
Send Message

In reply to PattyE <<

Date: 4/18/13 12:28 PM

good point, thank you!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Best Way To Attach Bead Applique

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Burda 9516

photo
by: jenleeC

Review
Paradiso Designs Okashi Courier Bag Pattern

Paradiso Designs Okashi Courier Bag Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Gathering apron Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.