SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Beginner's Forum > JoAnn's Fabrics-Bend, Or ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
JoAnn's Fabrics-Bend, Or
are they all bad or just my local store?
Foxsews
Foxsews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 11/9/12
Send Message

Date: 4/18/13 0:08 AM

I unfortunately live in a town with only 2 general sewing stores. The local JoAnn's has me pulling my hair with their lack of employees, fabric in a mess, and yesterday an overworked stressed-out employee refused to help me obtain some fiskar blades that were on sale, but the store had run out. I almost never go there that I don't wait in line to get fabric cut, and then wait again to pay for it...or many times ask an employee for help and have them look at me dumbly. Do they really not teach them what interfacing is? Criminey. Is the a national JoAnn's issue or am I just unlucky?

Thanks.

ahrizel
star
ahrizel
Beginner
Member since 4/22/12
Send Message

In reply to Foxsews <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/18/13 0:31 AM

My Joann's isn't too bad. They will show you where things are, but if something is out of stock there isn't much they can do about. They can check to see if other stores have it in stock, if you are willing to go to the other stores. Overworked and short staffed, usually. As to how messy the fabric is, that depends on staff level and how much the customers mess it up. The staff is not necessarily trained about sewing, some of them are more familiar with other areas of the store such as crafts. It is not primarily a sewing store anymore, I wish it was. Usually at mine if they don't know the answer someone else in the store does. But the busier they are the less likely they are to go out of their way to get an answer. As for waiting to get it cut, then waiting to pay for it, I've seen that be the norm at Joann's and Hancock's. For that matter at most sewing stores-except the little ones-that seems to be the rule. I'll grant you, some Joann's are a more pleasant experience then others. But having talked extensively to the employees at my local Joann's, most of them are very busy simply trying to keep up with the store. Right now the clearance is half price, which makes it impossible to keep neat for more then a day, and keeps the cutting lines long. I've been at several Joann's stores and I don't think they do a bad considering. If you've been lucky enough to have an independent sewing store with excellent service, they are a shock to the system. I do not have any such animals less then 2 hours away, so Joann's is what I deal with. And I usually don't have major problems. But I understand what they are and how they work. YMMV of course.
Mary

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

Date: 4/18/13 7:51 AM

I think a lot has to do with the manager. We have a great manager at our Joann (and Hancocks). Pride in the store has to start there. Corporate is no help, so it has to start at top store level. I know they have been cutting hours at my Joann.

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

In reply to Foxsews <<

Date: 4/18/13 9:16 AM

I think alot of them are bad.
I still chuckle when I think about the time years ago when I asked a JoAnn's employee if they had any frogs. LOL

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

Date: 4/18/13 9:21 AM

The JoAnns in my city is pretty awful too.
I asked last time I was in for a fat quarter and was told they cannot cut that. Seriously?!
I only go there if I'm desperate and am almost always disappointed.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

HanPanda
star
HanPanda
Intermediate
Member since 4/27/08
Send Message

Subject: JoAnns Fabrics-Bend, Or Date: 4/18/13 9:56 AM

My local Joann's have a number system now for getting fabric cut. If the line looks lengthy, I'll pull a number when I arrive. By the time I'm done shopping, they'll usually be near me. Or I'll pull a number when I am done but just browsing for last minute stuff, or about halfway through my shopping. It makes the cutting counter line much more livable. As for the cash wrap line, well...welcome to retail. I don't let it get under my skin. I'd rather they stay busy and in business so I have SOMEWHERE local to shop. I'm getting familiar with the associates at my store. It's definitely a YMMV with each of them. Some are nicer than others. They pretty much never are willing to check in the back for things, but don't mind me pulling the drawers out under the zippers and bias tape to find what I want on my own. I don't ask them for sewing help, except for the Viking lady. But I also don't go in if I need to get out quickly and it's rush hour. I always give myself at least 45 minutes to an hour. For everything. I find my own patience helps me more than anything else.

------
2014 resolution: keep track of sewn yardage!! I'm subtracting fabric given away from my yardage in. Yeah!
In: 85 yards
Sewn: 46.5 yards

I'll try anything once :)

Please excuse my typos...sometimes it is harder to go back and edit on mobile than it is worth!

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

In reply to Foxsews <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/18/13 10:34 AM

I'm in Klamath Falls-our store is super nice and the employees are helpful. Drive down and visit me :-)

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

ahrizel
star
ahrizel
Beginner
Member since 4/22/12
Send Message

In reply to lgrande <<

Date: 4/18/13 11:10 AM

Ours doesn't cut fat quarters either, all of theirs come in precut. But since they don't do there own, I can understand why they don't. They would have a funky sized piece of fabric leftover that only a quilter would use. Which means a remnant marked down a lot to sell. Since they are not a quilting store it doesn't pay for them to cut fat quarters. I'm not sure my favorite local quilting store cuts fat quarters, although I've never asked. Joann's has major faults, you need to know how the store works, how the sales work to get what you need from them. Personalized attentive does not happen, it's simply not that kind of store. And in the case of fat quarters I would bet money that they are not even allowed to cut. If you need that I would hit your local quilting shop. Again, YMMV.
Mary

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 4/18/13 11:30 AM

Look at the other threads on here....we are not happy with them.
They are becoming more crafts and less sewing, especially for apparel needs.
Check out PR's favorite online sites advertised. Just an example, nice $5-10 knits/other fabrics there with big selections, compared to JA's very few and often ugly at $20 yd+.

kkkkaty
starstarstar
kkkkaty  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Utah USA
Member since 12/7/05
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 4/18/13 12:32 PM

I don't have a problem with Joanns. It is what it is. My local store is a little shabby, but the people are nice, and do their best. If I needed to talk to someone who is truly an expert, it's not the first place I would go. I'm glad to have them as a resource for thread, cutting tools and patterns, and sometimes fabric.

------
Viking Lily 545
Viking Ruby
Bernina Activa 210
Brother 1034d

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> JoAnn's Fabrics-Bend, Or

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Kwik Sew 3343

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Acrylic Base In 5 Sizes

Acrylic Base In 5 Sizes

Buy Now
Favorite Things The Boot Slippers Pattern

Favorite Things The Boot Slippers Pattern

Buy Now
BurdaStyle Magazine 12-2012-104

photo
by: carolineG

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.