SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Free Motion quilting woes!!! I need advice ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Free Motion quilting woes!!! I need advice
Free motion
taaudyli
taaudyli
Member since 1/11/08
Send Message

Date: 4/18/13 3:10 PM

I just bought a Janome HD 1000 based on Leah Day's recommendation. It IS a good machine. I sew from home and so have to do a lot of different types of sewing (hemming jeans, altering prom dresses, garment sewing, quilting, etc). It does all of that really well but I was hired to free motion quilt a baby quilt and that's when my tale of woe begins. I've been fm quilting for a long time and had used my babylock machine until it died a terrible death! It was a top loading bobbin machine and never had a problem with it. I used the bigfoot free motion foot. I tried to use the bigfoot free motion foot with the Janome and on my sample it did just fine but on the real quilt it was a nightmare. The thread kept breaking or the machine would get hung up about every 20 stitches. I was ready to poke my eyes out. I bought Leah's bobbin washers and that did help but would still break particularly over thick seams like when the patchwork intersected. I adjusted bobbin tension, reathreaded, changed needles, everything I know to do but it was really giving me a fit. The quilt had a mattress pad for batting instead of actual batting so I don't know if that made a difference but I've fm quilted on felt and blankets for batting before without a problem. So my question is: should I buy a Janome free motion foot or just invest in a quilting machine? Do you think it was the presser foot since it didn't have a spring in it? Like I said I need to have a heavy duty machine but since free motion quilting is really what I love to do it would be a shame to have a machine that can't do that very well. Maybe I just need practice? I could use some input! Wendy,

goodworks1
star
goodworks1  Friend of PR
Advanced
Illinois USA
Member since 7/19/03
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 4/18/13 5:19 PM

Personally? I'd ditch the mattress pad 'batting' and try again.

------
blog: goodworks1.wordpress.com

taaudyli
taaudyli
Member since 1/11/08
Send Message

In reply to goodworks1 <<

Date: 4/18/13 5:27 PM

I would except it was someone else's quilt.

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to taaudyli <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/18/13 6:02 PM

By golly I have had quite the time with my Janome 6300 as well. I bought it for FMQ. I don't do this as a business, but I wanted the machine mostly for that and it is a terrific machine for whatever I have done except FMQ. I find it is very choosy about threads and picky as heck about tension, and my tale of woes is in another thread here:

Free Motion Nightmare Days

Now, loads of folks do FM on machine from Janome in all their lines, and I have done a few things to make this work:

1. bypass the last thread guide or even the one before that as well.
2. use Maxi-lock thread which it seems to like but I want to use other threads too -

and much more - but the latest is that I did buy the bobbin washers and am getting about 100% more good results from he machine - I did FM yesterday for at least two hours and had my thread break on my twice - before it would have been every 5 minutes. Really - so bobbin washers went a long way. I was also using Masterpiece thread on top and bottom, as I have a lot of it and want to use it!

Good luck - and see if you can set your bobbin tension lower for your FM - I bought the low tension bobbin case.

Since do do sew commercially you might want one of the straight stitchers like the Janome 1600 or the Grand Quilter from Pfaff or the Brother 1500S or the Babylock Jane or the JUKI machines like for example the 2010.

Other than my FM troubles I LOVE the Janome for everything else. And I WILL get to love it for FM too - I will.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Skye
star
Skye  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to taaudyli <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/18/13 6:43 PM

If it was me I would get the Janome foot with the spring your quilt is bulky. The cost of the foot is more economical that buying another machine.

Did you have your feed dogs lowered ?
You could reduce your foot pressure.
What type of needle are you using? I often use plain old universals but if there are lot batiks or bulky seams to cross I use a jeans needle

------
Wellington, NZ

Jennifer Hill
star
Jennifer Hill
Advanced
Alberta CANADA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/18/13 9:43 PM

I was also going to ask about needle type. I hate hate hate Universals for FM work, and with that mattress pad inside, Unis would be a recipe for disaster. Universals are a semi-ballpointed compromise, designed to work on simple wovens and knits, but in reality, do a less than great job on anything. Quilting, especially FM, demands a much sharper needle - for this job I would be using a jeans or a micro-tex (my latest fav point style). You might have to experiment to find the best size for your thread as well as this extra-thick sandwich.

Jennifer in Calgary

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to taaudyli <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/18/13 10:55 PM

I have FM'd a mattress pad before; it was rather dense, but not overly thick. What I found to use was a size 14 or a size 16 jeans needle. You need the punching power of a jeans needle to make it work. As to whether or not you need a spring in your presser foot to FMQ, I must say I disagree--mostly because some machines, like Singer Slants, don't have this type of foot. And I've done some FMQ on a couple of my Singer slants.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

figaro
figaro
Advanced
Member since 2/8/10
Send Message

In reply to taaudyli <<

Date: 4/19/13 0:15 AM

There are two different feet available for the Janome. The generic FMQ/darning foot is awful. I used it with my old machine and hated it. If you've read much from Leah Day, you've probably read her description of all the things that make that foot terrible. My new machine came with one, and I never bothered trying it. The day I picked up the machine, I also bought Janome's other FMQ foot.

The other one has a much more sophisticated (and adjustable!) spring assembly. It also comes with three different feet, an open-toe metal, a closed-toe metal, and a big plastic thingy that looks like a target. The open-toe metal one is the one Leah's using in the videos filmed on Janomes. According to Janome's website, they do make a low-shank version of this that will work with the HD1000.

I will admit, the second option is considerably more expensive than the first. But even after trying to modify the cheaper foot using Leah's instructions, I wasn't happy with it. The more expensive foot is better designed and easier to adjust. The first time I used it, it took me a couple minutes to get everything working to my liking and then I was off to the races.

You've gotten some good troubleshooting advice here from others that may solve your problem. But if you're still thinking about a different foot, the convertible FMQ foot is really quite nice to work with.
-- Edited on 4/19/13 0:18 AM --

taaudyli
taaudyli
Member since 1/11/08
Send Message

In reply to figaro <<

Date: 4/19/13 8:53 AM

Which foot of the three did you find worked for you?
Wendy

figaro
figaro
Advanced
Member since 2/8/10
Send Message

In reply to taaudyli <<

Date: 4/19/13 9:34 AM

I've only made one quilt on this machine, and I used the open-toe metal foot. The closed-toe foot is intended for use with lace and other things that might catch on the little prongs of the open-toe foot. Next time I may try the larger clear-view foot, as I like the idea of it.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Free Motion quilting woes!!! I need advice

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

You Sew Girl 75mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 75mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Fedora Pattern

You Sew Girl Fedora Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.