SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fitting Woes > An FBA observation ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
An FBA observation
is it just me or ....
marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

Date: 4/19/13 7:39 PM

The math may work out perfectly but you need to enlarge your dart a bit less than what the numbers indicate. The older you are, the less you may need.

Another fail but I'm learning.

For the next go rounds, I'm going to make up the pattern sized by upper bust (unless told otherwise - for example - Jalie).

I can wear most RTW. I'm beginning to think I don't huge the FBA that the numbers say I need. I'm working with fabric that gives and even stretches. I'm trying to make a sun dress. The big honkin' FBA just gave me a really saggy top for my saggy bust.

Has this been your experience?

I can't to post a success. I know it's coming!

------
Mary

misschris
misschris
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/3/06
Send Message

In reply to marymary86 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/19/13 8:30 PM

Not saying you're wrong but some food for thought...
are you starting out with the correct size for your shoulders/upper bust? You need to do a very snug measurement - pull the tape measure tight.

Are you wearing the correct size bra? thinking you're a cup size that you're not, could be throwing out your calculations for the amount of fba you need.

Do you need more length adjustment than width? The more mature large bust can be overwhelmed by gravity If you move the darts down first, it may fix part of the problem and you'll need a smaller fba.

Are you taking into account the amount of ease in the pattern compared to your own preference?

Bottom line is what's right is whatever works for you - I hope you get it figured out soon

------
chris

Melbourne

Michelle L
starstarstar
Michelle L
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 1/20/08
Send Message

Date: 4/19/13 8:54 PM

I have a triple-D bust, so if I use my upper bust measurement in comparison to my full bust, I SHOULD be making a huge FBA.

But, I also have very square shoulders and a broad back....so I make no FBA at all, and just choose my patter size by my full bust and take in the waist a small amount.

So really, you do what works for YOU...the guidelines based on limited measurements should be a starting point for further refinement in fit, not a finish point.

------
Michelle

http://cheapandpicky.blogspot.com/

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

Date: 4/19/13 9:12 PM

I had a bra fitting at My Intimacy (at Phipps Plaza - Atlanta). They put me in a much bigger cup size. I went from a 38-C to a 36-E bra and my clothes did look a lot better just from that change alone.

So I think the bra is good; now I think I'm going to make the pattern right out of the box and then slash and spread to find the actual amount of the adjustment.

Math alone isn't cutting it for me.

------
Mary

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

Date: 4/19/13 9:56 PM

I would sugest taking a Craftsy class called "Sew the Perfect Fit". This class was a huge eye opener for me and I have been learning about fit for a number of years now.
If you have not signed up for any Craftsy classes you will get a discount once you do so will not have to pay the full price although I think this class is worth paying the full price.
I finally have a princess seam blouse that fits perfectly. I am going for a vest pattern next. I have been struggling with this vest for over a year.

------
Ada

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 4/19/13 9:58 PM

I determine my adjustment by tissue fitting. It's anywhere from none to 1 inch.
I took the FFRP class, and wanted to to be able to make the same adjustment every time, and they just laughed.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

meleliza
star
meleliza  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/4/11
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/21/13 8:23 AM

Ok, but are you calculating your fba based on your bra size or your measurements? Because you bra size and your pattern cup size are two different things. For the fba, use only your high bust and full bust (in your new well fitting bra.) The difference between those measurements indicates how much you will need to alter the pattern.

Ie: I wear a 32F bra. My high bust is 38" and my full bust is 41.5". So, I make a typical fba for a C cup. My narrow ribcage has nothing to do with the fit in the shoulders and the full bust.

However, the above comment about this being a starting point and a guideline is true. This is where I start, but different patterns with different styles and different amount of ease might affects final fitting.

Ps- is that store worth a long drive? I'm in the North Georgia region every summer and considered going to Phipps for this. I haven't been to Phipps/Lennox in years, but I did go down to Gail K last summer.

------
Melanie

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

In reply to meleliza <<

Date: 4/23/13 11:31 AM

I'm sorry I missed your question.

To me, it was totally worth it (I drove from Dalton). I was fitted in gorgeous (and expensive - I paid between $80 and $120 for each and it's been a few years) bras that support me well.

It was the first time I wore bras that didn't have 3 or 4 hooks in back. They are lacy, beautifully made and they've worn like iron. I can't even put on a VS bra any more.

I have a feeling there are less expensive brands that will do the trick now that I know more about my size (maybe Wacoal) but I wouldn't have known.

They don't measure you. They have you strip from the waist up and with one quick glance, they come back with the perfect bra (at least that's how it was for me). After that the fun begins. If you're on a budget bring cash and leave your credit card at home. I couldn't say no to pretty bras after a lifetime of utility ugly ones.

The store had a fun vibe to it and it wasn't snooty (I sort of thought it would be).

------
Mary

meleliza
star
meleliza  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/4/11
Send Message

Date: 4/23/13 12:29 PM

Thanks, I may think about that. I'm pretty sure I've got the right size these days, but still. Isn't it crazy how expensive the nice ones can get? I like to shop Nordstrom online, search first for my size then sort by price. Sometimes I find a chantelle or nature on sale if you don't mind wacky colors. Wacoal does a pretty good job for a more reasonable price. For my size, I can't shop at VS or Macy's anyway. I think they measure people wrong just to put them in a size they carry.

------
Melanie

misschris
misschris
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/3/06
Send Message

Date: 4/23/13 5:24 PM

Don't get me started on bra fitting!! For anyone who's interested in correctly measuring themselves and places to purchase bras have a look at this sub on reddit.

------
chris

Melbourne

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> An FBA observation

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Vogue Patterns 1337

photo
by: unfinished...

Review
Sewing Workshop Chicago Jacket

Sewing Workshop Chicago Jacket

Buy Now
Fit For Art Sleeve & Cuff Variations for Tabula Rasa Jacket Pattern

Fit For Art Sleeve & Cuff Variations for Tabula Rasa Jacket Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.