SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > The Ever-Shrinking Periodical ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
The Ever-Shrinking Periodical
Have you seen a Parade magazine supplement in your Sunday paper lately?
LuceLu
star
LuceLu  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 8/4/06
online now
Send Message

Date: 4/20/13 6:51 PM

Yes Burdas are physically shorter/smaller. Today I grabbed last Sunday's Parade magazine supplement and gasped. I can't believe how much smaller it is! And... they have raised the price of the paper to $2. The daily (not Sunday) is $1 (I think, maybe more). It wasn't that long ago you bought one for 35 cents and I am not some senior citizen talking about the good old days--I'm not yet 50. This is another shock like I had last summer when picking up ice cream and seeing how much smaller the "half gallon" size has become--just a bit larger than the pints of Ben&Jerrys. Even the coffee cans are getting shorter and skinnier. Back to magazines.... Burda notified me that my subscription will end soon and I am thinking of not renewing. The smaller size affects my enjoyment of it. I wish they offered a digital subscription or would just turn the whole thing over to the Burda Style website.

tlmck3
star
tlmck3
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 7/11/05
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/20/13 7:22 PM

I was especially outraged when Dean's Dairy--one of the two major regional dairies in the Chicago area--changed their "pint" bottle to 14 ounces. They did not adjust the price accordingly and I felt like it was done with stealth. My neighborhood bodega owner didn't notice until I pointed it out to him months after I noticed it. I usually buy the quart, anyway, which so far has not changed but it is annoying to me, especially when the quart is out of stock and I need 2 cups of 1/2 and 1/2 for an ice cream recipe.

------
I am going for a level of perfection that is only mine... Most of the pleasure is in getting that last little piece perfect...Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just keep showing up and doing the work.

Chuck Close, painter, printmaker, photographer

Hope has two lovely daughters: Anger and Courage

St. Augustine

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/20/13 11:06 PM

It's marketing, ladies! It's all about "cost cutting" and that rot. My (not so anymore) local newspaper is much narrower now, and I still have to pay full price for a subscription. A can of soup is now 14.5 ounces; no longer the 16. Try making a casserole with a 14.5 ounce can of soup when the recipe calls for 16! What's a person to do?? I come from a time when cans had numbers, like a No. 2. Nowadays, what "they" are doing is truly a "No. 2"!!! (and I'm not talking about cans...)

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

kathi s

kathi s
Beginner
California USA
Member since 1/23/03
Send Message

Date: 4/20/13 11:15 PM

Our newspaper, the Sacramento Bee has become so thin that I wonder why I subscribe. Even my monthly magazines have become parodies of themselves. I can't read everything on the Internet -

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to kathi s <<

Date: 4/20/13 11:22 PM

The Sacramento Bee is under restructuring per an interview on Sixty Minutes, so it's not wonder it's thin.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

LuceLu
star
LuceLu  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 8/4/06
online now
Send Message

Date: 4/21/13 4:25 PM

I stopped at the Dunkin Donuts on a weekday. They had our local paper (which is now only printed 3x a week) for $1. The thing had like 8 pieces of paper! (printed front and back 32 in 2 sections). I used to leave it behind but now took it with me. I gave it to my friend to do the crossword and get my money's worth! I do read the NYT online every day and yes, I am an online subscriber (I don't expect to get top rate journalism for nothing).

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

Date: 4/21/13 4:50 PM

Several years back,the Orange Juice cartons changed en masse from 64 oz to 59 oz. I suppose it works out evenly to 175 centiliters, but I think I would have preferred 200 centiliters (67 oz). It concealed a price increase, of course.

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

justgail

justgail
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 1/19/06
Send Message

Date: 4/21/13 5:40 PM

this is nothing new, I remember it happening in the 70s. It may have started before that even. Manufacturers found out that most people will go right on buying without complaint if the price doesn't go up. But do they think we don't notice that we need to buy things more often, or more of them at the same time?

What frosts my cookies is when they put a bit more back in the package and label it "NEW SIZE" and it's the same size (or smaller) as what they cut down from a few months ago. Harumpf.

sideseams
 sideseams
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 6/19/04
Send Message

Date: 4/21/13 6:41 PM

It sure is disappointing to see what these companies are doing.
I've noticed this more and more the last couple months.
When will it end? Maybe if we stop buying they will get the message that we have had enough!

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 4/21/13 7:44 PM

I was for canceling all together, but my husband refuses to give up the Sunday comics!

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> The Ever-Shrinking Periodical

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

No Pattern Used couch slip cover

photo
by: Passion4Se...

Review
Neue Mode 23051

photo
by: HRigg

Review
Jamie Christina Lark Paper Pattern

Jamie Christina Lark Paper Pattern

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Women's Classic Sport Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Women's Classic Sport Shirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.