Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Fabrics and more... > Help, I've been put on a forced fabric fast! ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Help, I've been put on a forced fabric fast!
ahrizel
star
ahrizel
Beginner
PA
Member since 4/22/12
Login to reply to this post

Date: 4/20/13 11:52 PM

We are in the process of moving. After packing up my,ahem 6 or so(okay maybe 8) large rubbermaids of fabric, the hubby is not happy. He is insisting on a fabric fast. I most certainly do have a lot of fabric, no arguments. And he is amenable to certain things. For instance I got a gift certificate to Fashion Fabrics club, no problem with using that. It may add to my stash, but it is free. And I specific plans for that order. And I'm going to start a little Etsy shop, so supplies I need for it that I don't already have are acceptable. But other then that I think I'm stuck. Now he is an enabler, so I may get lucky. But a run to Fabric Mart the next time they have a store sale-I doubt it. Worse yet, he packed most of the fabric. So I'm going to spend hours in the cellar sorting out the fabric so I can find it. He just put stuff randomly in a tote! Large totes, lots of them. It gives me twitches just thinking about it. I also think he threw out most of my scraps, makes me cry thinking about it. I know I'm complaining alot about this. And I'm lucky to have a nice fabric stash and a husband who will probably relent in the future. But right now my sewing has gone topsy turvy and I'm a little freaked about it. One of those days
Mary

Geejay
Geejay
AUSTRALIA
Member since 1/7/13

In reply to ahrizel <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/21/13 1:26 AM

Dont be to hard on hubby,he's probably just noticed for the first time how much stuff you have and sees it as excess.Go through your fabric when your unpacking and seriously look at what you have and what is usable. If you don't love it,sell it or donate it. Start planning your wardrobe if your a garment sewer,or craft projects if that's your thing.

It's not a crime to have a bit of a stash( I have one myself). But I get more enjoyment from only having the fabric I have projects for. I recently had a huge clean out dozens of books,mags,patterns along with boxes of fabric that I wasn't feeling the love for. I still have a way to go until empty,but now I'm looking forward to sewing my way to the bottom of the pile.. Now I only buy what I need when I need it. Not because
There's a sale. If I don't LOVE it at full price I still won't love it at half price.

Geejay
Geejay
AUSTRALIA
Member since 1/7/13

In reply to ahrizel <<

Date: 4/21/13 1:26 AM

Dont be to hard on hubby,he's probably just noticed for the first time how much stuff you have and sees it as excess.Go through your fabric when your unpacking and seriously look at what you have and what is usable. If you don't love it,sell it or donate it. Start planning your wardrobe if your a garment sewer,or craft projects if that's your thing.

It's not a crime to have a bit of a stash( I have one myself). But I get more enjoyment from only having the fabric I have projects for. I recently had a huge clean out dozens of books,mags,patterns along with boxes of fabric that I wasn't feeling the love for. I still have a way to go until empty,but now I'm looking forward to sewing my way to the bottom of the pile.. Now I only buy what I need when I need it. Not because
There's a sale. If I don't LOVE it at full price I still won't love it at half price.

lyndle
star
lyndle  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 3/19/06

thumbsup 4 members like this.
Date: 4/21/13 5:54 AM

it's awful having your stash messed with! I think that's upsetting you more than the fabric fast - is that right? I feel your pain. I don't have any thing helpful to say, except (this might be helpful but more likely just annoying!) when you're sorting it might be a chance to catalog it, with swatches on cards, or photos on your phone, or whatever, so you know what's where and so your hubby can see there is an intended use for everything.
When he deserves it again, can you make him something easy and sweeten him up? Then you need to tell him you'll sort your stuff if you need to but that having him throw your stuff out upsets your balance in the world!
Anyway - Just wanted to say I understand and sympathise!

MrsCharisma
starstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
MN USA
Member since 2/1/13

thumbsup 3 members like this.
Subject: Help, Ive been put on a forced fabric fast! Date: 4/21/13 8:08 AM

I got a good laugh! This sounds like my husband. Except he'd be too frightened to throw anything away! Trust me, he'll give in! :)

Good luck on the move. We're moving this summer too. Blah. Except I might get a craft room! Yay!

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02

In reply to ahrizel <<

Date: 4/21/13 8:21 AM

I had a good friend who used to give stress management seminars. He said there are three things in life that will put your stress level in the highest of places--Divorce, death and moving. And that's what you and hubby are going through. I can suggest that you look at this as a time of renewal and you will probably forget about the scraps you lost and will be much happier with a new set.

Also, like the previous poster, this will be a good time to catalog your fabric and replace it into organized totes, if you are physically able to do so. Men don't think--they just "do". And I'm convinced that for every 1000 miles of a move, the stress level raises 100%. Try moving across the country, coast to coast, and you'd be lucky if you even got to your destination--together.

Hang in there. This will pass.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 4/20/08

In reply to ahrizel <<
thumbsup 10 members like this.

Date: 4/21/13 8:29 AM

OK, number one: never and I mean Never, allow your husband to go near or touch your stash! It's sacred to those of us who have them.

Number two: Your fabric stash keeps you happy. When you are happy he is happy.

Number three: As prices rise on material, you have the wardrobe of tomorrow already at hand

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
WI USA
Member since 3/8/10

In reply to ahrizel <<

Date: 4/21/13 9:09 AM

Yup been there gone through that last winter. The yarn & fabrics I had to give up .... now I am still looking for something & realize oh yeah that was donated or pitched.... Fortunately the sm were safe! Also anything that I said oh I was going to make such & such for you with that ..... Or boy that was an expensive fabric..safe... .... You will get through this ....
Now he sees things but says little when I bring up how much was lost in the big move!

------
Finally a whole week above zero! Whoo hoo! ~smile~
2 shots in DH eye down, 1 more to go. We hope the tumor is shrinking.
God is with us no matter what ...+

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02

In reply to ahrizel <<
thumbsup 8 members like this.

Date: 4/21/13 11:41 AM

My dh has several stashes: skin diving equipment, fishing and camping gear, power tools, and a large--and I mean large hat collection. Most of these things were expensive to buy and are seldom used. They take up enough space in the garage that sometimes it is hard to get around.

dh is now and then bemused by the size of my pattern and fabric collection, but he would never think of ordering me to stop buying these things, any more than I would think of trying to tell him not to buy more toys.

As long as the purchases of either partner do not endanger the family's finances or pose an actual fire hazard (and pathological hoarding is something that we should be aware of), I think it is presumptuous for one partner to try to "impose a moratorium" on the other's collection.

ahrizel
star
ahrizel
Beginner
PA
Member since 4/22/12

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 4/21/13 11:41 AM

Thanks for the sympathy ladies. Having it all a mixed up is making me nuts the most. Once we're moved I will take some serious hours to swatch and organize the bins. I don't mind having it stored in the containers in the cellar-cellar is old but dry and safe. But having it randomly put in containers with no regard to what it is-that is making me nuts. He didn't throw out any decent cuts of fabric, nor any notions. I really do want to make a swatch book anyway, since I seldom remember to bring a swatch with me when I go to the store to match thread or other fabrics. It's just the fact that I have to essentially pull all the fabric out of all the bins to organize it. The good thing will be is the fabric will be in order and I will have a swatch book from my efforts. I would do the packing my self but the hubby has already done most of it. And since we need to be out by the end of April, time is of the essence. I've been cleaning the new apartment with my Mom. At least we have access to a large dry basement for storage, and I really don't mind storing excess fabric down there. My sewing will be in the spare bedroom, with fabric for the current projects in there, with notions and thread stored in there also. The stress of moving is really jacking up my stress and reaction to all of this in a big way.And I know the husband will probably relent, at least somewhat in the next few months. He will at least be okay if I'm buying fabric for a specific project. For example I need to get fabric for a new ren faire outfit this summer-we always go to the ren faire so that will be okay. And once we are settled in we will both relax. I hope. I'll have to make some things for the new place and for him. I have some nice Penn State fabric, enough out it for lounge pants and shorts. Think that needs to be once of my first projects

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Help, I've been put on a forced fabric fast!

Merchants on PR
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Leather 101
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Leather 101

Online Sewing Classes
Put it on the Bias
Fee: $49.00
(Regular $49.00)
Put it on the Bias

Vogue Patterns 8750 Misses' Skirt
photo
Review by Danvillegi... on 10/3/11
Read Review

DRESS LINES - A CD Book by Kenneth King
DRESS LINES - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Details
Price: $19.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

SewBaby Animal Wrappers Pattern
SewBaby Animal Wrappers Pattern

Details
Price: $8.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Liesl + Co. Late lunch tunic Digital Pattern
Liesl + Co. Late lunch tunic Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $12.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Jamie Christina Pretty Ditty Apron Digital Pattern
Jamie Christina Pretty Ditty Apron Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $10.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Jalie 2794 Sweetheart Top
photo
Review by kathigarn on 9/27/09
Read Review

Vogue 1355 Pattern ( Size )
Vogue 1355 Pattern ( Size  )

Details
Price: $30.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Burda 6970 Pattern
Burda 6970 Pattern

Details
Price: $12.92
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN