Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Quilters' Corner > Nancy Drew Get a Clue ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Nancy Drew Get a Clue
I was unaware of this fabric line!
SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
LA
Member since 8/24/02
Login to reply to this post

thumbsup 2 members like this.
Date: 4/22/13 4:13 PM

I didn't know that Moda made Nancy Drew fabrics. They are so cute! Of course, after the January release, there is hardly any left. But I managed to snag book cover panels, a yard of the book spines fabric, (well I think I did - must have been the last yard as I wanted to provide a link, but the shop isnt showing anymore. I hope I got it. Also, a yard of some red silhouette fabric . I'm still on the fence about a layer cake or charm pack - so expensive.

My sister and I both were big fans. She more than I, and our collection belonged to her. A couple of years back when we were cleaning out the outside storage room for Mom's pool (which was always damp) -- I found her collection.
They were ruined, and she was heartbroken. I plan to make her something cool from it. She's not into electronic readers, so maybe a book bag.

Apparently it was very popular. Not too much of the cutest fabric left, but you can find the panels, layer cakes and charms all over the place. Seems to be no more of certain designs though. Oh well, I'm glad I got what I did.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02

In reply to SouthernStitch <<

Date: 4/22/13 5:12 PM

How cool! I didn't know this fabric existed. Every now and then I think of pulling out my three Nancy Drews and sitting down and reading them. I had quite a collection when I was about 9. A fond memory of curling up in a big yellow easy chair with a tone on tone print, fringe around the bottom, and wide arms--like what you would find in an old movie theater--and reading.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

lelliebunny
star
lelliebunny  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
WA USA
Member since 12/24/12

Date: 4/22/13 5:34 PM

i loved nancy drew books, and i love the fabric. i just couldn't decide what to do with it, so i didn't get any. :(

------
i'm a PFAFF girl at heart that has an occasional affair with other brands.

http://thetruthaboutsewing.blogspot.com

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
Intermediate
LA
Member since 8/24/02

In reply to lelliebunny <<

Date: 4/22/13 5:57 PM

Yes, the quilts I've seen aren't too inspiring. Perhaps a lap quilt to snuggle under while reading, but nothing big. I'm thinking a bag with one of the panels on one side, the book spines on the other, and use the red fabric as lining. I know I got too much for such a small project - a yard of each of the spines and the red and an entire panel of the book covers. Oh well, maybe someone at our ASG can use the rest.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
NC USA
Member since 2/17/06

Date: 4/22/13 6:12 PM

Quote: SouthernStitch
I didn't know that Moda made Nancy Drew fabrics. They are so cute! Of course, after the January release, there is hardly any left. But I managed to snag book cover panels, a yard of the book spines fabric, (well I think I did - must have been the last yard as I wanted to provide a link, but the shop isnt showing anymore. I hope I got it. Also, a yard of some red silhouette fabric . I'm still on the fence about a layer cake or charm pack - so expensive.

My sister and I both were big fans. She more than I, and our collection belonged to her. A couple of years back when we were cleaning out the outside storage room for Mom's pool (which was always damp) -- I found her collection.

They were ruined, and she was heartbroken. I plan to make her something cool from it. She's not into electronic readers, so maybe a book bag.

Apparently it was very popular. Not too much of the cutest fabric left, but you can find the panels, layer cakes and charms all over the place. Seems to be no more of certain designs though. Oh well, I'm glad I got what I did.

It looks like Fabric.com will be getting some of the fabrics back in stock end of April- early May.

I LOVE the idea of a lap quilt to snuggle under while reading!

------
Cathryn

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09

Date: 4/22/13 8:16 PM

Cute fabric! I made my daughter in 2nd or 3rd grade a Nancy Drew themed dress/jumper once- she was a fast reader, and had read most of them. I used the Nancy Drew 1930's style silhouette with the spy glass in hand, from more the solid blue 1930's version of the books covers or 1st print page, blown up a lot larger and machine appliqued that onto the front bodice, then took maybe 9 or 10 of the favorite book titles and then machine embroidered them (just feed dogs up ,built in alphabet style) in several rows all along the bottom of the dirndle skirt hem. That was a fun dress, and that was even with the lack of any real Nancy Drew fabric. But with Nancy printed Fabric too, you could really sort of combine all that stuff, and get a lot of interesting things going.
-- Edited on 4/22/13 8:18 PM --

figaro
figaro
Advanced
Member since 2/8/10

Date: 4/22/13 8:23 PM

My LQS had a sample of the Yellow Brick Road pattern with this fabric. With some finagling, the book cover panels are equivalent to two blocks in that pattern. This was right before my birthday, so my brother got it for me. I'm nearly done assembling the top now.

The one fabric I loved but couldn't get was the blue on white toile. I'd have used it for the back if I could have found it in quantity anywhere. But I found some cute sherbet-colored prints that I'm using instead. They're appropriately retro. I'll try to remember to post pictures when I'm done. It's really an adorable collection.

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
Intermediate
LA
Member since 8/24/02

In reply to figaro <<

Date: 4/22/13 8:38 PM

Yes, the blue toile is impossible to find! Those are what was on the inside front and back covers? I'd have loved to get some of that too. Please do show off your quilt when you're done!
I emailed my sister, with links, and she went NUTS over it. She said that the Lilac Inn and Secret of the Old Clock were her favorites, without me even asking. I think everyone looks at that panel hoping their favorite one is there. What fun! So, now I know which panels to use!

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

Tall Mary

Tall Mary  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NV USA
Member since 12/7/04
online now

Date: 4/22/13 10:45 PM

Hi,
I found a site called Nancy Drew Sleuth which sells all sorts of Nancy Drew fabric including the toile I think that you are talking about. I haven't ever used the site but it has a huge selection of Nancy-themed fabric.
Kathy

------
Sewing and reading about sewing are daily pleasures.
I hope to use up lots of stash in 2013.
2011-Sewing from Stash-SABLE

figaro
figaro
Advanced
Member since 2/8/10

Date: 4/22/13 11:20 PM

I guess they were the original endpapers. I never read them in their original bindings, I don't think. I know I had the reprints with the yellow spines and original artwork, but a lot of them I read first in plain library binding.

The toile with the white background was the one I wanted, but I couldn't find it anywhere by the time I went looking for backing fabric. I should also say, my quilt top is not exclusively from this collection. I've got several Patrick Lose fabrics in there too, all in bright, saturated colors. It may be the most colorful thing I've made since elementary school.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Nancy Drew Get a Clue

Merchants on PR
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Create a Jacket Muslin
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Create a Jacket Muslin

Online Sewing Classes
Bust Adjustments
Fee: $39.99
(Regular $39.99)
Bust Adjustments

BurdaStyle Magazine 01-2005-108 tee shirt
photo
Review by SueV on 2/6/05
Read Review

SewBaby Quick Kitchen Gifts Pattern
SewBaby Quick Kitchen Gifts Pattern

Details
Price: $8.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Shapes Six Sense Skirt Pattern
Shapes Six Sense Skirt Pattern

Details
Price: $16.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Blank Slate Bershire Blazer Digital Pattern
Blank Slate Bershire Blazer Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Lazy Days Skirt (FREE!)
Lazy Days Skirt (FREE!)

Details
Price: $0
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 2047 (vintage)
photo
Review by Cowtown Ka... on 10/7/11
Read Review

Simplicity 8523 Pattern ( Size 14-16-18 )
Simplicity 8523 Pattern ( Size 14-16-18 )

Details
Price: $10.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

McCalls 6137 Pattern( Size One Size )
McCalls 6137 Pattern( Size One Size )

Details
Price: $17.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN