SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Machine Embroidery > Immediate help needed deciding on which machine! ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Immediate help needed deciding on which machine!
Viking Designer 1 OR Brother ULT 2003D
Ohmslizzie
Ohmslizzie
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 3/10/13
Send Message

Date: 4/22/13 8:10 PM

I am supposed to be picking up a Husquvarna Designer1 machine tomorrow that I'm buying off Craigslist for $700

Someone just posted the Brother ULT2003D for 1000$ I offered $700 and they will take it.
Both machines are the same price and condition is good. Please help me on which to get ASAP! I'm so torn!

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 4/23/13 0:33 AM

Kinda late.. I'm kinda tired... but hey... I "get" the urgency of dealin' with CL. (I *love* getting great deals off of CL!)

I'm not familiar with Brother model numbers.. so I googled what you had here.

Does that Brother take floppies?!?!?! (if so, RUN away from it, IMO)

If so, that doesn't seem like a problem to you?

And, correct me if I'm wrong... but I think some of the Designers didn't have USB.

Before you plunk money down for anything.... figure out how you're going to get your designs into the machine.

How big of embroidery areas do you require?

If by chance you only need small, you can get a new Brother off of Amazon for less than $400.

Personally, I'd rather have a newer machine that takes USB or not have anything at all.

------
Video of how the Bionic Gear Bag works is here: www.BionicGearBag.com
Neglected personal blog is here: www.RipStitcher.com
Share pics on Instagram: RipStitcher

Tool junkie at heart!

Bernina 880 Sterling Edition & Bernina 550qe

Next up:
Babylock Sashiko
Babylock serger
& a new-new Sewmobile - see my last #sewmobile in Instagram

sewplenty
sewplenty
Advanced
Washington USA
Member since 4/1/12
Send Message

Date: 4/23/13 1:15 AM

I agree with RipStitcher. Both those machines use little discs. You want one with a USB or flash drive. Technology has made leaps and bounds. That is why the used machines sell cheap. You can buy a new Brother with USB for the same amount.

------
Singer Quintet
Brother 1034D
Singer Stylist II Serger
Singer Heavy Duty 5532
Singer Signature (New One)
New Home Combi DX
Singer 319
Singer Featherweight 221

iSewQuiltArt
star
iSewQuiltArt
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 4/4/08
Send Message

Date: 4/23/13 4:17 AM

Not all the Designer embroidery machines use floppy disk drives to transfer designs. Those that do not use USB.
I used to embroider on a Designer 1 with floppy drive and it did beautiful embroidery. Just lovely.

------
Quilting up a storm
Bernina Girl, in possession of a small herd...

LindaBee58
LindaBee58
ITALY
Member since 7/10/09
Send Message

Date: 4/23/13 5:15 AM

I too agree with RipStitcher. Better a new Brother machine with a USB port for that price or a used Designer SE.
The Designer 1 was a great machine (I had the floppy version) but even if the one you are interested in has the USB port it wll be very slow reading designs. Also there might be difficulties finding small size pen drives that will work on it.
I had the Brother ULT2003 in the past too. It is a very solid machine but this also doesn't have the usb port for pen drives. It doesn't have the basting option like the Designer has and I also found the designs were not easy to see on the screen. The screen was not of great quality for me.
If I had to choose from the two, I would pick for the Designer 1

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

In reply to iSewQuiltArt <<

Date: 4/23/13 9:51 AM

Quote: iSewQuiltArt
Not all the Designer embroidery machines use floppy disk drives to transfer designs. Those that do not use USB.

I used to embroider on a Designer 1 with floppy drive and it did beautiful embroidery. Just lovely.

Just sayin' ... she needs to check these machines for what interfaces they have for getting the designs into the machines.

Maybe she already knows all this stuff... maybe she doesn't. But if she doesn't, spending $700 on a new, USB-capable machine would probably be a better experience.

It was late last night..(and man, I had a rough day!) ... so I never meant to imply that *all* whatever-machines have certain disk drives or whatever. 'Cuz I don't know specifics about these machines. I *do* know that what little I Googled, that it seems there is a good chance these machines don't have USB.

I have a friend's little Brother Disney machine here at my house right now. She paid waaaaaay too much for it off of Overstock. This little gem is as cute as can be - pristine condition - but it would take buying more computer parts (some sort of card reader thing) in order to be able to get designs into it.

So to me, to have to spend more money on dorky, out-dated parts that would *not* be fun to work around in order to get this machine functional would make for a crappy experience - especially to a new-comer.

------
Video of how the Bionic Gear Bag works is here: www.BionicGearBag.com
Neglected personal blog is here: www.RipStitcher.com
Share pics on Instagram: RipStitcher

Tool junkie at heart!

Bernina 880 Sterling Edition & Bernina 550qe

Next up:
Babylock Sashiko
Babylock serger
& a new-new Sewmobile - see my last #sewmobile in Instagram

sew2006
star
sew2006
Advanced
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/24/06
Send Message

Date: 4/23/13 11:29 AM

The Brother ULT 2001, 2002D and 2003D and Babylock ESG1,2,3 have both a floppy disk drive and a manufacture specific memory card. So much more needs to be considered before purchasing a used embroidery machine. How much has the machine been used? Do you already have a dealer/tech who's familiar with the machine and can service it. The company's history of supporting non current machines. Cost of major components that may need to be replaced.

Other questions "What do you want the machine to do for you?" Embroidery involves both knowledge, skill, patience and $ for stabilizer, thread, designs and lessons.

For me personally, I purchased a used Babylock of the same age as the ULT. I already had a similar machine with all the supplies and software. I also knew what to look for to determine use of machine. Even with this I paid a couple hundred more for a complete service.

Between the two machines I would pick the Brother as the company still makes software compatible with the memory card. Prior to investing in a machine find out cost of a tune up, where you can have it serviced and compare what a dealer has to offer. A more simple new model with support may be a better choice to start with. Most common reason someone sells a machine is because they didn't bond or learn to use.
-- Edited on 4/23/13 11:33 AM --

------
Janome10001, Babylock ESG3, Brother ULT 2001, White 634D serger, Pfaff 1472, Singer featherweight, Singer 14T957Dc, Bernina FunLock 009DCC coverlock, Brother PQ1500S, Janome CP900.

ShirleyJo
ShirleyJo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/12/12
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/23/13 1:31 PM

No need for floppies, and absolutely no problem getting designs to the older Brother or Babylock machines. PED Basic is a card reader/ writer box for these machines. It plugs into the computer via USB, transfer designs to the card, then plug the card into the machine. It runs about $95.00 and includes the writer box, the card, and software. You can find PED Basic new on EBay and other Internet sellers. HTH

------
Slightly too many machines...

Sewinglady1947
Sewinglady1947
Advanced
Member since 4/28/08
Send Message

Date: 4/23/13 1:50 PM

I have a designer one that uses floppies and I don't have a problem with them. I also have a topaz 30 with usb port. Floppies don't bother me.

------
sewing grammy

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

Date: 4/24/13 8:14 AM

I have an ultra and several older brother machines in the mix that live here. I can't speak for the d1 but I like that the ultra has more than one way to input a design. Should the floppy drive die you can still input with a box or card. A usb port is a really nice thing(have that on the bernina 730) but I still use my brother machines to embroider often. I was using the 8500 brother the last couple of days and it only has a card/box way to input not even the floppy. The only thing with a floppy is one might need to keep a dedicated older laptop or an external drive to use just that. Time marches on always with technology. If one of these was a great bargain I wouldn't hesitate but mine are left behinds as I upgraded. I intend to keep using them as long as they live and work well which they do. I have one of the small D machines and most of the D cards. I only use it for my grands or a rare gift now and then but it does a really good job very well made hearty little machine. On my next upgrade I am getting a D combo brother as a back up for my card library but so far no need.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> Immediate help needed deciding on which machine!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Butterick 5679

photo
by: Sew tell m...

Review
Vogue Patterns 8319

photo
by: Cation Des...

Review
Petite Plus 601 Pattern

Petite Plus 601 Pattern

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Baja Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Baja Shirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.