SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > I think I am on the road to loving my Bernina 750..finally! ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
I think I am on the road to loving my Bernina 750..finally!
cornut
cornut
Advanced
California USA
Member since 10/27/11
Send Message

Date: 4/23/13 9:18 PM

It has been a stressfull couple of weeks, but, I guess some of you have been going through this much longer. I hope something I say might help, like it helped me. I will quickly review my story. My Bernina 750 (no embroidery) came on March 31. When I went to pick it up, the stitches were not good, though the dealer was less convinced than I of that. I left it there until the tech came in 4 days later, at which time it was sent back to Bernina and a new one was sent. A week later I was getting ready to go out of town so thinking the new machine would come in while I was gone, I called the dealer and asked that they sew it in and have the tech look at it since it would be there when he was. The sales lady was the only one that sewed on it and she thought it was fine. When I went to pick it up, it didn't sew any different than the first, from what I saw, but they needed the space I was using so I took it home to do a thorough test. All the adjusting I could do never loosened the bobbin like it appeared to need, so I played with the screw on the bobbin case, loosening it a lot, but it never changed the way it sewed. My thinking was it was a defective case, so I called the dealer, told her what I thought and asked to bring the machine in the next day the tech was in, she thought my concern was silly and not worth bothering the tech with, but she did change out the bobbin case with one that was sewing "perfect" in the store. I got that one home to discover it was very tight also, and the stitching still bad. So against her warning of not to touch the screw on the bobbin case and since she wasn't taking my concern seriously, I went ahead and loosened the screw on this bobbin case and it worked! I managed to get perfect stitching. Then, I wanted to check out the 1/4 inch seam, since I mostly quilt. On 2 layers of fabric it did fine, even with triangle points, it didn't eat them! Next I tried some previously pieced "flying geese" and it was horrible! It couldn't sew straight over the thicker seams that are normal in all kinds of piecing. I was thinking I had a "quilters edition" machine that I couldn't even quilt with. Thankfully I saw a post on the yahoo 7 group that said they had the same problem and solved it by lowering the upper tension to 3.25 and lowering the presser foot pressure to 30. I tried it and it worked!!! I am still waiting for the next shoe to drop, but I think I'm on my way to loving my machine! I am so disappointed in my dealer, on so many levels. So many questions while testing my machine, were answered with "I'm not sure what that does". I really don't want to take the mastery classes there, and she almost discouraged the classes, I think because she knows that she doesn't know everything she should. With this being my first computerized machine, I know I need the classes, so it is frustrating. A huge thank you to all of you who offered help, support and a shoulder to cry on, during all this. You are great!!

------
Theresa

sewnew
star
sewnew
Beginner
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 4/23/13 9:57 PM

So glad to hear that you are having success with your machine. Thank goodness there is a group of ladies who are able to share their experiences and solutions on the yahoo groups. I hope the techs have info sharing so they can learn from each other's experiences and get their customers' machines behaving nicely for their owners quickly

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 4/23/13 10:10 PM

So happy to hear this great news. That yahoo group is finding lots of happy 7 owners from sharing information with each other. Some have found the solution to be just a good oiling, too, so keep her oiled up!

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

In reply to cornut <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/23/13 11:40 PM

Cornut, I am so happy you are having success with your machine. I am glad you have also found kindred spirits in the Yahoo group. I am also happy the adjustments you made have been what's needed. I too am disappointed in your dealer by refusing to have the tech look at your machine. The fact that you have had to make the adjustments is fine but the fact that your dealer refused to fix and thought your problem was silly is unconscionable. I surely hope no more shoes drop on you or the machine. I highly encourage you to find another dealer. One who will support you and any problems you may have with your machine. Bernina is known for great dealer support and it does not sound like this dealer meets the standards we all have come to expect. I mean this in the kindest way. It is perfectly acceptable to go to another dealer. You owe them nothing.

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/24/13 0:16 AM

I'm so glad you now have a machine that is working properly, but that doesn't excuse the poor service from your dealer. Very disappointing, especially trying to convince you that substandard performance is fine.

I hope that you are able to enjoy your machine, despite the rough start, and really put it through it's paces and work it to the Nth degree, trying every stitch and function, so that any issues it may have surface before warranty expiration dates approach. I've often read of machine owners (of various brands) getting so discouraged with a new, malfunctioning machine, that they set it aside, unused, for years even, then can't get work done under warranty.

Bravo to you for sticking up for yourself! I really hope you now get all the functionality and fun for which you paid.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 4/24/13 5:37 AM

The Yahoo groups are simply tops in my book. I cried many a time in their shoulder and if not for them my Bernina would still be in basement storage. I hope the dealers wake up soon to what needs to be done to keep customers in love with their machines.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

JanyceR
star
JanyceR  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 2/3/07
Send Message

In reply to cornut <<

Date: 4/24/13 7:28 AM

I am so glad that your machine is working for you! I really do think the 7 Series machines are awesome. If it is possible to find another dealer I would certainly do so. But if not, and your dealer offers classes at a time you can attend, I would encourage you to take them to pick up what you can since this is your first computerized machine. Also, I think the 7 Series group has links to the class workbooks you can download and work through them yourself. Your dealer may have provided you a CD with that as well.
Good luck and enjoy!

------
Pfaff Creative Sensation Pro, Bernina 780,
B350SE,other Berninas, Pfaff Performance 5, several vintage - multiple manufacturers.
Love all my machines!

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to cornut <<

Date: 4/24/13 7:43 AM

I am happy for you that you've solved some of the issues yourself. I would also encourage you to find another dealer, one who will support you and listen to you. You dealers actions are not acceptable at all.

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

figaro
figaro
Advanced
Member since 2/8/10
Send Message

In reply to SewBusy63 <<

Date: 4/24/13 8:40 AM

I concur. I'm all for figuring things out yourself, but a dealer ought to listen to your concerns and be eager to help you. It's not like you bought a $20 toaster.

And a dealer shouldn't be telling people not to mess with bobbin tension! They don't put that screw on the machine just to look pretty.

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 4/24/13 8:59 AM

Isn't there a way to report bad dealers to Bernina? It seems the issues on the 7's for sure and very likely the 8's are dealer related. The machines need more support than what the dealers are able to give. Bernina needs to step up their involvement either by offering Craftsy style classes via internet or even prepared classes that the dealer can put on a screen. Most dealers seem to be incompetent...either due to intelligence limitations or motivation. They are acting like they are selling $200 straight stitch machines and really care little about the customer....Walmart does better!
It really looks like Bernina needs to revamp their whole sales methods.

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> I think I am on the road to loving my Bernina 750..finally!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Class Details

Online Class
Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Class Details

Vogue Patterns 1549

photo
by: becca a

Review
New Look 6006

photo
by: MissMarnie

Review
Sew Liberated Sunday Picnic Blouse and Dress

Sew Liberated Sunday Picnic Blouse and Dress

More Info
Christine Jonson Three Tees

Christine Jonson Three Tees

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.