SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > Brother PC 420, Juki F600 or Viking Opal...please help! ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Brother PC 420, Juki F600 or Viking Opal...please help!
Shopping and need advice
305cupcake
305cupcake
Beginner
Florida USA
Member since 4/25/13
Send Message

Date: 4/25/13 7:33 PM

I'm a newbie and more confused than ever! I thought I had my mind made up on a Brother 420, then I went in and looked at Viking machines and the sales pitch went something like anything other than a Viking wasn't made well and was junk, then I called a .com rep of several brands and they recommended the juki f600.
I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to be sewing or how often, I'm looking for a quality machine I can grow with, but not overkill...or overly expensive. I definately want easy buttonhole feature, no tension issues, a knee lift or similar feature, needle up down option and great customer service. Please help this new girl on the block find my way through all this! Thank you!

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to 305cupcake <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/25/13 7:58 PM

Have you checked reviews on here for these machines. I had the Brother 420-it was an ok machine. I know some people really love it. I just didn't bond with it and bought a Janome.
The Juki seems to have quite a following. There have been several threads about it recently.
The Vikings seem to depend on the model. Some people love them but I didn't find alot of consistent favorable reviews for the models I looked at. Viking I think is doing a better job and trying to make better machines and improve their image.
Have you been able to try out any of these machines? You can find favorable reviews for a machine, buy it and then find that you don't like it. If you can try out machines, it will help you decide.

305cupcake
305cupcake
Beginner
Florida USA
Member since 4/25/13
Send Message

In reply to Marie367 <<

Date: 4/25/13 8:50 PM

Unfortunately, we don't have anything other than a Viking dealer within a 50 mile radius from my home. Crazy, because I live in a major city. I haven't heard anything about the Vikings other than from the rep. She couldn't tell me why the machine was better she could only tell me the other brands weren't good...that's Not enough to get me to buy! The brother has lots of features and to even get close to that many on a Viking would be $1400. But am I comparing apples to apples? May I ask what you didn't like about the brother and why you chose janome when you switched?

Capella
star
Capella
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/25/11
Send Message

Date: 4/25/13 9:17 PM

Well, I have to say I love my Viking Opal 670, but I do have a problem with employees who say "everything else is junk". Our local Janome dealer does that, which is what put me off of looking much at the store.

I like my Viking because it feels very sturdy, love the variety of decorative stiches and it just glides over many thickness of fabric. It just never gives me fits of any kind.

------
Janome MC4000
Singer 9960
White 1934D

sewplenty
sewplenty
Advanced
Washington USA
Member since 4/1/12
Send Message

Date: 4/26/13 0:37 AM

Your decision may be based on your budget. For the money the 420 is a great machine. I wrote an extensive review on it here. However, for more money the Juki gets rave reviews also. Did you sit down with the Viking. Did you love sewing on it? Do you want this to be the only machine you will buy in the next 10 years? Do you have good dealer support? If yes to all those then the Viking may be for you.

------
Singer Quintet
Brother 1034D
Singer Stylist II Serger
Singer Heavy Duty 5532
Singer Signature (New One)
New Home Combi DX
Singer 319
Singer Featherweight 221

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/27/03
Send Message

Date: 4/26/13 7:55 AM

You would probably expect to like the Juki more than the PC420 bc it costs twice as much...the F600 is now $900-ish and the Opal is close to the same price. I have been smitten with the Opal for a long time and look for reviews on that model but there aren't many so far. The Juki has glowing reviews and a proven track-record now. Maybe until you're sure you like sewing, the 420 would be the way to go for your first machine. It is not limiting in any way--has some nice perks but is not the investment of the other two...but if cost were the same, I'd pick either of the other two over the 420.

Karen31
star
Karen31  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 1/25/09
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/26/13 8:40 AM

I hate when a salesperson can't tell you why their product is good vs. why others aren't. I work p/t for a multiline dealer and sold many machines because a competing dealer across town used just this tactic.

Bottom line though, within what I can spend, or if I have to wait and save more, my priority wouldn't be this that or the other machine/brand - it's the machine that can sew what I want. For 10 years I dealt with one so limited in the array of what it could sew decently (at best) I virtually quit sewing. If a machine won't work on what I want to sew, it doesn't matter what brand is on it or whether it costs $100 or 1000 - it's worthless. So make sure you're happy with it for what YOU want to do.

------
Karen

CDFORME101
CDFORME101
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/17/11
Send Message

Date: 4/26/13 9:09 AM

I hated my PC-420 and had a bunch of issues with it. I love my Viking Opal. It is an amazing upgrade over the Brother. While the brother may have more "features" at a lower price, you do get what you pay for in quality in my experience. That said, I still do have some Brother machines. They are OK entry level machines.
-- Edited on 4/26/13 9:10 AM --

------
Viking Opal 650
Singer Stylist II
Singer 14sh654
Brother SE 270D
Brother HE1

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 4/26/13 9:20 AM

Nothing against Brother, I love their new Dreamweaver machines! But, I had one a while back and only liked the embroidery side. That's just me.
Juki has a stellar reputation for support if anything at all is wrong with your machine. So you can buy with confidence over the internet and know they will take care of you. Yes, you will have to ship it to them, but according to others here, they go above and beyond.
That said, I've been pretty impressed with the Vikings I've sewn on at Joanns for the classes I taught. They are solid machines.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

Laurie Lou
star
Laurie Lou  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 10/16/05
Send Message

Date: 4/26/13 12:12 PM

I have the PC420 I bought it online. I was albe to adjust it myself because the darn thing pulled to the right. It was the feed dogs. I checked out the Opal 670 and they were on special for ...I think 699.00 in our area. Tere are 2 Opal models though and this might have been the less fancy. I know little about them but would prefer it over my Brother. As for the Juki...I always wanted to try one in person based on the chatter hoer on PR. btw...I sew on an older model Viking 500 from the early 90's. I got it o Craigs and I prefer it over my Brother. Good Luck!!!

------
Laurie Lou

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Brother PC 420, Juki F600 or Viking Opal...please help!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Class Details

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Class Details

BurdaStyle Magazine 10-2012-114

photo
by: jennybaxt

Review
JSM-Pant 1

JSM-Pant 1

More Info
Perfect Pouches

Perfect Pouches

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.