SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Know much about Pfaff 360's? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Know much about Pfaff 360's?
mothyrgrimm
mothyrgrimm
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/13
Send Message

Date: 4/27/13 1:14 PM

I'm looking to get a heavy duty machine for my home business. Something that can sew thick or thin and last for a long time. Stitch options are a huge plus and I was recommended one of these machines, but I don't know anything about them really. I'm also having a really hard time finding info and reviews online. Can anyone tell me a bit about them and if they seem to be a good fit for us?

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

Subject: Know much about Pfaff 360s? Date: 4/27/13 3:06 PM

Parts will not be as easy to find as it would be for a vintage Singer. You would end up having to try and find another for spare parts.

Jennifer Hill
star
Jennifer Hill
Advanced
Alberta CANADA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

Date: 4/27/13 4:12 PM

What will you be sewing in your home business? This will determine what type of machine you need. For really heavy duty sewing, forget all about home machines of any brand or vintage - you may need an appropriate industrial machine.

If you intend to make any money with this venture, you need to be certain to get the most appropriate machine(s) for the work intended.

Jennifer in Calgary

mothyrgrimm
mothyrgrimm
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/13
Send Message

Date: 4/27/13 4:19 PM

I'll be sewing reusable notions like cloth diaper inserts, household items, etc. So thick layers of zorb, flannel, fleece, and cottons all together. I don't have the room for an industrial machine unfortunately so I'm looking for something close in power.

loti
starstarstar
loti  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 5/27/04
Send Message

In reply to mothyrgrimm <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/27/13 4:30 PM

I used to own a Pfaff 360, they are lovely machines, but there is one tiny issue with them. The belts that are used in the machines are difficult to find, and even if you find one, it may not be the correct length. After 50 years, my machine needed a new belt. The tech i took it to had one in his inventory but it was 1/4" too short. They also have metal staples in the belts and apparently Pfaff didn't believe standardization in the belts, so some have 48 staples, others have 49, and you need to find the one that is the proper length, with the proper number of staples to fit your machine. The other issue with this machine, is that if it has been sitting in someone's garage and not maintained, the cams can get gummed up. If you are thinking about decorative stitches, it will produce the stitches unevenly.

Now if you can find one for a great price at a garage sale, and know that in the end you might just not be able to find parts for it then go for it, but the machines I've seen can run into the 100's ($200-400).

What is your budget like?

------
"A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.
Coco Chanel

Stash Sewn in 2011 148.5 Yds
Stash Sewn in 2012.... counting...

http://adonising.blogspot.com

mothyrgrimm
mothyrgrimm
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/13
Send Message

Date: 4/27/13 4:56 PM

My budget is around $500-$700 lol I would like to get a newer style machine with lots of stitch options, but I just can't find one with the power I need. Of course anything I buy I'm going to be voiding the warranty as well. Hearing that about the cams I'll probably have to pass on a 360 though. We're going to be moving to the middle of no where in North Dakota and god knows if there's going to be a sewing machine shop anywhere. Do you (or anyone) have any ideas on a good machine for me? I've been recommended so many random machines I'm getting confused lol. I've been told Viking Emerald 183, Viking Emerald 118, Pfaff 130, Juki HZL-F300 - but then also told why they won't work. lol

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 4/27/13 5:30 PM

I think an old Pfaff 360 is a very nice machine. Not particular industrial though at all. But if you see one at someone's house or at the Goodwill Store, garage sale or such and can sew on it and try it, first before taking it home with you, you might really like it. If I saw one someplace, I would not just grab it and put it in my car and drive home with it though, without sewing on it first. I think they were so nicely made and so tightly calibrated, that now many of them that have not been sewn on for years, might be really very stuck and frozen up ,and seized up and all the knobs and insides of them not even turning anymore. And if that is really the case, then you would probably have to either pay someone to unseize it, or really sometimes maybe spend just days and days or weeks even, trying to do that yourself. So if it actually all still moves and works nice, and you see one someplace like that, particular in one of those places for less than $50 or such, I would just grab it and take it home and be real happy with it.

loti
starstarstar
loti  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 5/27/04
Send Message

Date: 4/27/13 6:34 PM

When you say stitch options what are you looking for exactly? Something with the ability to change needle positions?
Decorative stitches?
Buttonholes
Monograms
Satin stitches
Blanket stitches
Embroidery
Quilting

I just bought a new machine and nearly went mad trying to figure out what I wanted, so I'm hoping I can help. I don't know much about the Vikings listed or the Juki, I've lusted after a Pfaff 130 - they are pretty machines.

I have an industrial, and it does, straight stitch, back stitch and zig zag, it even has a buttonhole attachment. With most of my sewing this is all I ever needed.

------
"A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.
Coco Chanel

Stash Sewn in 2011 148.5 Yds
Stash Sewn in 2012.... counting...

http://adonising.blogspot.com

Jennifer Hill
star
Jennifer Hill
Advanced
Alberta CANADA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

Date: 4/27/13 7:11 PM

Quote: mothyrgrimm
... I would like to get a newer style machine with lots of stitch options, but I just can't find one with the power I need....

That is because such a machine does not exist!

Multi-stitch machines are for home use, and are not designed for industrial sewing.

Jennifer in Calgary
drtechno
drtechno
Intermediate
Member since 4/28/13
Send Message

Subject: Know much about Pfaff 360s? Date: 4/28/13 6:33 AM

i wouldn't recommend getting that particular old machine. yes the parts are hard to come by.
what I would recommend is the only modern singer that has passed my stress tests: 16 layers of cotton, 8 layers of fleece plus four layers of cotton denim. and 2 layers of rayon ( for tension).

which is the Singer CG-590. if you want new.
otherwise the old sears 12 stitch (1965-1980) would do

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Know much about Pfaff 360's?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Butterick 4461

photo
by: WistfulRid...

Review
Shapes Nine Lives Vest Pattern

Shapes Nine Lives Vest Pattern

Buy Now
Lolita Patterns Sugar Plum Pattern

Lolita Patterns Sugar Plum Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.