SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Can I sew a strait strech stich on the walking foot? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Can I sew a strait strech stich on the walking foot?
I am asking because my velvet has a little strech since it has a knit backing.
Dana Cetz
Dana Cetz
Member since 12/14/12
Send Message

Date: 4/27/13 11:17 PM

I am confused about sewing on the walking foot. It looks very scary to use.

misschris
misschris
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/3/06
Send Message

In reply to Dana Cetz <<

Date: 4/27/13 11:47 PM

Its not scary at all Think about what it is and does - it replicates the movement of the feed dogs to keep the fabric layers moving together. It has to have the mechanism to do this, hence the size.

Go ahead and attach it and have a go. Make sure you fit the little arm to your needle screw correctly - some cup around the screw, others just have an arm that sits on top.
Be prepared for it to be a bit noisy.

Have fun sewing your stretchy velvet!

------
chris

Melbourne

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

In reply to Dana Cetz <<

Date: 4/28/13 12:25 PM

Embrace the walking foot. It will save your life with those tricky fabrics. Only two issues I have with it - noisy. Just live with it. Sometimes grabs fabric while putting it under the foot. Use a piece of paper between the fabric and foot as you set it up. Remove paper before sewing. Love your walking foot!

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Dana Cetz
Dana Cetz
Member since 12/14/12
Send Message

In reply to tourist <<

Date: 4/28/13 1:02 PM

Do you know of any good photo tutorials or videos about the walking foot? The tissue paper thing just confuses the heck out of me.

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

In reply to Dana Cetz <<

Date: 4/28/13 1:10 PM

Dana - just get some scraps and start playing. You will get it pretty quickly. I don't do tissue paper that sews into the seam because I can never get the darn stuff out afterwards.

The walking foot is just feed dogs on the foot like the ones on the surface of the machine, so they will grab onto fabric sometimes as your try to get it under the foot. And the bulk of the foot also makes it tricky sometimes. Get your two pieces of scrap together and line them up to put them under the foot. Take a piece of paper or thin paper board (an empty pattern envelope will work if that is what is handy) or anything smooth and place it on top of the top fabric. Slide it all under the walking foot to wherever you want to start then pull the paper or cardboard out of the way and start sewing. Instead of the machine feed dogs pulling the fabric along by themselves, they have handy helpers on the bottom of the walking foot.

One thing I have learned here at PR is "Practice on Scraps!!!" I don't think I ever did that before, probably because I learned to sew as an impatient teenager, but I have saved endless frustration and pain by embracing practice stitching.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

In reply to Dana Cetz <<

Date: 4/28/13 1:32 PM

Oh no, don't be afraid of it...it's wonderful. I use mine alot and not just on knits. Give it a go!

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
Ohio USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/28/13 4:47 PM

I use mine a lot. Since my SM has several needle positions, I even use it for piecing quilts.

It is great for knits as it helps to keep the top layer even with the bottom layer.

When using a regular presser foot, the lower layer tends to feed a tiny bit faster that the top layer.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

misschris
misschris
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/3/06
Send Message

In reply to Dana Cetz <<

Date: 4/28/13 4:55 PM

Search You Tube, there's bound to be at least one video demonstrating a walking foot.

------
chris

Melbourne

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

Date: 4/28/13 5:27 PM

Try this tutorial offered by Sewing Parts Online:

How to Use a Walking Foot.

NAYY

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

strongnow
strongnow  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 2/1/08
Send Message

Date: 4/29/13 7:31 AM

I have to add my 2 cents' worth. The walking foot looks more intimidating than it is. When I finally got around to trying mine I wondered why I had waited so long, especially for knits! Go on, you can do it.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Can I sew a strait strech stich on the walking foot?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

La Mia Boutique Taglie Forti 03-2011-118

photo
by: Sandi S

Review
SewBaby Quick Kitchen Gifts Pattern

SewBaby Quick Kitchen Gifts Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Fleece-Easy Hats Pattern

SewBaby Fleece-Easy Hats Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.