SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > unregistered (barely) used BL machine...should I buy? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
unregistered (barely) used BL machine...should I buy?
tweekgirl27
tweekgirl27
Intermediate
Member since 12/6/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/29/13 0:43 AM

Hello. I am looking at a baby lock sewing machine which the owner never registered. I know BL doesn't transfer the warranty unless it's via a dealer (and maybe not then?) but since this was never registered...wouldn't it be like a gift? the dealer would hv her name but then she "gives" it to me and I register it? Not trying to be shady but I can't afford to pay dealer cost right now. Plus BL really should have an owner to owner program where the warranty would transfer, in my opinion..

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

Date: 4/29/13 0:48 AM

Is the dealer willing to do that? If not, you will have to pay out of pocket on any repairs normally covered on a warranty. If the machine is pristine, hardly used and a super deal, it might be worthwhile.

tweekgirl27
tweekgirl27
Intermediate
Member since 12/6/08
Send Message

In reply to karen149 <<

Date: 4/29/13 1:17 AM

Idk... I'm trying to fig it out. I don't know if the dealer registers it for her or not. She's only had it for a couple months. It seems when I bought my BL serger that I had to register it myself...but idk what happens on the dealers end of things. It's just kind of frustrating to me that they have that great warranty but it goes away if your a second owner. :-/ I live across the state so wb taking it into my dealer for service. ??? What to do...

Gilraen Surion

Gilraen Surion
Intermediate
Member since 6/6/04
Send Message

Date: 4/29/13 1:28 AM

I bought my BL serger/overlock second hand. Like you the lady had only had it for 2 months and then traded up to the imagine as she could not come to grips with threading. T
he warranty was transferred to me and the dealer dealt with it. I am not sure ifif the previous owner had registered it
This was in NZ though and over 10 years ago so it may be different now

Gilraen

TeeGee

TeeGee
Intermediate
International CANADA
Member since 11/13/04
Send Message

In reply to tweekgirl27 <<

Date: 4/29/13 4:58 AM

Quote: tweekgirl27
She's only had it for a couple months. It seems when I bought my BL serger that I had to register it myself..

How well do you know the seller ?

If she only had the machine for a couple of months she can still register it.I had to register every sewing machine or serger I ever bought myself.It had nothing to do with the dealer.

Sometimes when people want to trade in a machine for a new one,they are not happy with the trade-in price the dealer offers.Then they decide to sell the machine themselves.I have seen lots of ads,"almost new sewing machine or serger,still in the box".When I searched the model online,I read the model has been around for a few years,or it has been discontinued for a while.

Some sewing machine brand warranties can be transferred when the machine gets sold.

-- Edited on 4/29/13 5:01 AM --
sewsally
star
sewsally  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 8/18/02
Send Message

Date: 4/29/13 11:26 PM

Be sure you see the sales receipt.
It may be stolen.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 4/29/13 11:31 PM

No dealer can transfer or renew a warranty.

Chances are the machine will never need more than routine service, which after the first six months you would have to pay for even with the warranty.

My dealer removed the registration card at the time of purchase and submitted it to BL.

-- Edited on 4/29/13 11:36 PM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 4/29/13 11:37 PM

I agree that warranties should be transferable. But at this time, it seems that they're not. If you really ran into a warranty issue, I think the dealer or BL might investigate enough to see that you didn't purchase it, even if it was never registered until you. I don't know how they handle gift situations.

IMO, just negotiate a price that makes you comfortable without the warranty. Whenever I see a second-hand machine, regardless of how little use, with an asking price more than 80% of the new price (not MSRP, but real out-the-door price), I think, why would anyone pay that, when for a little more, they could have the peace of mind of the warranty and full dealer support. Don't get me wrong, I love buying used, but at the right price.

Best of luck with your new (to you) machine!

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 4/30/13 7:22 AM

I am quite sure there are 2 issues. Warranty and Registration. You don't mention a Gold Warranty which is honored by any BL Dealer (supposedly) so I am thinking it is the basic warranty.
Registration is done on the BL Website. It confirms the person who owns the machine. I suppose if it were ever stolen you could use this as proof of ownership. Neither my receipt or my Gold Warranty show my serial or model number. I had to write it in.
I dont understand the Dealer thing fully- it seems to be an independent thing- every Dealer determines how they will handle an issue in their business.
BL refuses to accept machines needing repairs from customers directly- even with a Gold Warranty. They only accept shipments from a dealer. So if your machine has a problem, or even needs routine maintenence, then you will need to find a dealer (or someone) to do that.

The Dealership determines if you are their customer or not. The fall back is the person who purchased the machine in their store is their customer. That makes them eliglible for future Customer Only discounts, free classes, reduced fee classes, discounts on other items purchased at the time of the machine purchase, approval to sign up for the online BL classes, etc.

So that is why your friend and you must see the Dealer together and negotiate a deal for you to be a Customer of that Dealer. Some Dealers are quite agreeable (especially since it will be 2 machine sales for them) to change the paperwork into your name. Some will charge a fee. Others just tell you their hands are tied and they are quite sorry they can't help.

All that aside, if the machine is worth what she is asking and you want it then I would get it. Dealers offer many technique classes at nominal fees so you can still learn how to use it. The Manuals have clearly written sections on how to care for it. I am surprised that the Mastery Classes aren't online (free with registration) or on You Tube or BluRay. If you read through other threads you will discover more than a few complaints that there seems to be a down hill trend in Dealer Mastery Classes. They are hit or miss, hard to get into, aren't taught well, used as a sales pitch, etc. If you really want the one on Care and Maintence make that contingent on buying from your friend. Ask her to sign up- then go with her to the class. Or come back and show you everything she learned.

Register it on the BL web site and print that out.
Bring that along when you go for your first annual maintenance and that's all you need. Or just bring it in and tell them you never registered it. You are not required to register it however when the technician looks up the Serial # they are going to see the name it was sold to and registered to. So if your name is in neither place it may raise some signals to them so be prepared to answer questions, if asked, to show that you are the legal owner.

Edited to add: re-reading this isn't a friend and she lives across the state making her Dealer too far away from you to go to. So you will use your Dealer. Go for it. Register it. You can tell your Dealer you got it as a gift should it ever need repairs. Or the truth. Or nothing.
-- Edited on 4/30/13 7:31 AM --

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

Date: 4/30/13 7:26 AM

I really like the babylock machines. I own a serger and sewing machine and have had no problems with either. If it is a good price I would not worry about the warranty myself

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> unregistered (barely) used BL machine...should I buy?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Victory Satsuki Paper Pattern

Victory Satsuki Paper Pattern

Buy Now
PerfectFuseTailorUltra Black

PerfectFuseTailorUltra Black

Buy Now
Simplicity 3673

photo
by: lauramae

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.