SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Regional Communities > Vacationing in Japan ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Vacationing in Japan
Any pointers?
Nancy1955
star
Nancy1955  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 5/10/10
Send Message

Date: 4/29/13 8:42 PM

My daughter's dream vacation is a trip to Japan. She loves Japanese culture, fashion and anime. So we'll be taking a trip in May. We'll be spending 6 days in Tokyo and 4 days in Osaka. We'll have JRail Passes so I'm looking for ideas for fabric shopping or textile museums or anything related to sewing. I'd also be amiable to joining any of you residents on a shopping trip!
Any information about fabric shops would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

michellep74
starstarstar
michellep74  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 7/19/07
Send Message

Date: 4/29/13 10:52 PM

My only advice is to definitely take a day trip (or more) into Kyoto when you're staying in Osaka. Absolutely gorgeous city with lots of historical sites.

------
--Michelle

Blog: http://happilycaffeinated.blogspot.com/

2014 Fabric IN: 153.13 yards
2014 Fabric OUT: 88 yards
2014 Fabric Sewn: 38 yards
2014 Fabric Donated: 50 yards
pre-2014 Stash patterns used in 2014: 7

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 4/30/13 7:54 AM

Contact the Japanese Travel Bureau and ask for guides, fabric store addresses and home stays. All these are good starting points if you are searching for fabric. They also have pen pals and you could search for one with an interest in sewing.
I am guessing your daughter can speak Japanese? Both Pimsleur and Rosetta will get up and running. Lots of free sites and apps. Learn how to ask for the name/address of fabric stores. Go to a bookstore upon arrival and get a bi-lingual travel atlas of the country and those 2 cities. When on foot you can easily find your way about with those maps. Understand how the addresses work- they are blocks and assigned by year built - not the system we use in the US.
Pull up Google Earth and get a feel for landmarks- where you are staying, routes & stations, signs in front of places you are visiting. You will feel less overwhelmed to navigate.
Lastly, I hope you love fish! It is absolutely the best in Japan whether raw or cooked. It is available for all 3 meals. When my daughter visited us there, at that time she did not like whole fish (served w/bones). At those places that didn't offer American Breakfast she survived on chocolate.
Some of my best memories are living in Japan. Have fun.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/1/13 8:57 AM

My blog post from a 2010 trip to Tokyo. I'd be happy to get co-ordinates for Bunka for you, it is soooooooo worth it to go to their bookstore! And you'll probably lose yourself browsing through Kinokuniya bookstore's vast crafting selection. I miss Japan.

Be prepared for the high cost of living though, taxi's start at $8 in certain places. Eek!

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

Nancy1955
star
Nancy1955  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 5/10/10
Send Message

Date: 5/1/13 11:33 AM

Thank you so much for the information!

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

Date: 5/1/13 12:39 PM

My son and his wife are in Okinawa(Air Force). They just got back from a vacation trip to Main land Japan. I know they visited where they have the fish auctions and they went to see and old village. I can't remember the name of it. I'll see if I can get some info from him.

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

Date: 5/1/13 12:52 PM

The Tsukiji fish market was the ONE thing in Tokyo I missed out on seeing while we were there!! It was such a packed weekend and I just couldn't get myself up at 4 am to get down in time to watch the cool stuff.

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

ChristinePDX
star
ChristinePDX
Advanced Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 10/4/08
Send Message

Date: 5/1/13 3:01 PM

See if you can find a flea market, I think I went to one in Kyoto (not 100% sure if that was the place). I bought a whole bunch of old silk kimonos for a song.

-- Edited on 5/1/13 3:02 PM --

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

Date: 5/7/13 10:08 AM

Just heard back from DIL. They took their trip a month ago...here's what she said: Take good walking shoes. There are a lot of steps and few elevators. Very little handicap access.

Go to Osaka and Kyoto. Both are 20-30 minutes apart by subway(train). Osaka is a modern city with cheaper hotels. They stayed the Kishibe Station Hotel. Kyoto is "old town" with big temples and shrines, houses that are 100's of years old.
Check out the Osaka-jo Castle Park.
Eikan-do has an "awesome" temple and a functioning monastery .

Tokyo is great, but not real touristy. Plan to spend 1-2 days there if you want to visit the Skytree(tallest building in Japan). You will need to buy advance tickets on-line. There is a giant Buddha called Kotekuin in Kamakura(about 46-60 minutes south of Tokyo).

If you like shopping, Kawasaki has a large shopping complex on the way to Kamakura. Take the south bound train through the suburbs to get there. Head towards Yokusuka(American Navy Base). If visiting Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka, the Shinkansen (bullet train) is a great option. The tickets are more flexible, train runs every 15 minutes. The price is cheaper than airfare and the experience is wonderful. Tickets can be bought at any train station in Japan with the prefix "shin" or on-line in advance.

Hope this helps. Please excuse any misspelled words. I copied this info from DIL's e-mail and probably flipped a few letters. She did say that I could give you her e-mail if you want to contact her directly for more info. I would only do this through private message. Have a wonderful trip.

Nancy1955
star
Nancy1955  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 5/10/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/11/13 3:37 AM

Thanks so much for all the information. We are staying in Nakano, Tokyo. We went to Akihibara (known for its electrics and anime) and Nippori (Textile Town) today. I bought several pieces of beautiful fabric. I found some beautiful linen knits for $7 per meter, including some beautiful lightweight knits. My daughter bought an interesting knit with some doodle type lines and she also bought some Japanese cottons. I found some adorable cotton with little parakeet designs on it.
Textile Town had so many shops - I could easily have spent the whole day there. Imagine walking down a street with rows and rows of fabric stores on either side of the street. That was Textile Town.

photo

We are planning to go to Osaka and Kyoto later this week. thanks so much for the advice on places to visit!

-- Edited on 5/11/13 3:42 AM --
-- Edited on 5/11/13 3:44 AM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Regional Communities >> Vacationing in Japan

Merchants on PR

So Vintage Patterns

Thank You for Joining!
Deals!

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Understanding Interfacings
Understanding Interfacings

Register

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Vogue Patterns 1061

photo
by: shaleenyma...

Review
Eagle's View PM/54

photo
by: BADBamaBun...

Review
PerfectFuse Light White

PerfectFuse Light White

Buy Now
SewBaby Petal Jacket Pattern

SewBaby Petal Jacket Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.