SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > Is there an Adapter from vertical spool to horizontal feed? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Is there an Adapter from vertical spool to horizontal feed?
Need a way to feed horizontal threads at machine level
Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

Date: 4/30/13 11:09 AM

There are adapters for horizontal----->vertical, but I need one the other way, and I think I have seen them around online, but I cannot find anything. Many larger machine today haven't a horizontal spool pin at all, and my J6300 has the same thread dual vertical spindles as the 6500 and the 6600 etc., and other brands have that as well, so there must be a way to feed horizontally - and from the machine level rather than out of the thread holders like the one from Superior threads that I have - the path from that one to the machine thread path is so much longer that it actually adds drag tot he thread. Anyone have a way or a gizmo for this?

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet <<

Date: 4/30/13 11:25 AM

Can you raise your threadstand onto a platform of some soert so that it's closer to the guides? The one I have (Superior) would work that way.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

figaro
figaro
Advanced
Member since 2/8/10
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet <<

Date: 4/30/13 12:05 PM

Someone in the quilters' forum had jury-rigged a method of raising the spool to the top of the machine so it turned like a vertical pin on other machines, but I think that may have been you. Are you looking for a more permanent solution (if it was you)?

Either way, I'll be interested to know if you find anything. Most of the thread I use is cross-wound, but I'd like something for the rest of the time.

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

In reply to figaro <<

Date: 4/30/13 2:01 PM

Quote: figaro
Someone in the quilters' forum had jury-rigged a method of raising the spool to the top of the machine so it turned like a vertical pin on other machines, but I think that may have been you.

That may have been me, but I've since gotten a Superior thread holder which can lay on its side for stacked spools. It works better than my jury-rigged solution

------
Tess

On threadpainting flowers: "How many colors are in a flower? ... How many do you have?" - Ellen Anne Eddy

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

In reply to TessKwiltz <<

Date: 4/30/13 2:06 PM

Yes, that's the one I have too and it is made so that it CAN be used horizontally.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet <<

Date: 4/30/13 2:09 PM

From Horizontal to Vertical Spool Pin Adapter

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to lgrande <<

Date: 4/30/13 2:40 PM

I have the Superior one, and it can be used horizontally. The trouble is the thread path becomes very long , and you idea of moving it UP would require me to suspend it in midair almost, which is why I would love something that added a horizontal bar to the vertical bar - once the thread rolls off horizontally that meets its needs, but since most machine DO have a horizontal thread spool stand and come with an auxiliary vertical stand, it is odd there is no way for these machines to feed horizontally.

I posted a pic of my way of raising the spool that winds off itself "sideways" if you will, but just wanted to know if an adapter would be available to lay those spools horizontally. I wish I had a picture of what I have in mind. HHhmmm....maybe I better make a picture.

I think I have seen this thing once at least online, and wish someone had a link to one.

Patti - I need the opposite of the one you link to!Are you thinking it would work the other way around as well? HHHmmm - Interesting thought. It might. Here is a lovely picture I just did...HAHAAHHAa.....

-- Edited on 4/30/13 2:53 PM --

------
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

JanyceR
star
JanyceR  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 2/3/07
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/30/13 2:53 PM

Muffett, I have a couple of these - I don't know if they are available on line but a quilt shop, or sewing machine dealer should be able to get them.
http://www.brewersewing.com/BQSS_Consumer/2011_search3_detail.asp?item=HTH&search=horizontal%20spool

------
Pfaff Creative Sensation Pro, Bernina 780,
B350SE,other Berninas, Pfaff Performance 5, several vintage - multiple manufacturers.
Love all my machines!

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to JanyceR <<

Date: 4/30/13 3:00 PM

You are an angel! THAT is exactly what I did see and couldn't find! THANKS so much!

------
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet <<

Date: 4/30/13 3:07 PM

What JanyceR posted should work if you just want to change from horizontal to vertical. I have those, purchased from Nancy's Notions years ago. I just tried mine and I see no reason why it wouldn't work for adapting to either direction as long as you used a spool cap. They may even be available at your local fabric store.

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Is there an Adapter from vertical spool to horizontal feed?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Vogue Patterns 7608

photo
by: Mobycat

Review
Sew Chic Pendleton Dress Pattern (ln8002)

Sew Chic Pendleton Dress Pattern (ln8002)

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Jacket Express Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Jacket Express Pattern

Buy Now
BurdaStyle Magazine 09-2012-130

photo
by: Heatherriq...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.