SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Miscellaneous > iPad mini? ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
iPad mini?
Do you love it or wish you had bought the full size?
tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 5/2/13 10:13 AM

I have an original iPad, which I love to bits, but it has no cameras, so I am considering the mini for myself as tech treat. We used to be an all PC household, as that is what DH works on for a living, but we both have iPhones now, an iPod and the iPad, which have all been screaming successes, so I am not considering any other types of tablet. It is either the mini or going all out and getting another full sized iPad.

Any mini users out there wish you had bought another iPad? Any regrets due to app differences or other unknown problems?

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 5/2/13 12:28 PM

I had a 64gb iPad 2 for a year or two... but I didn't invest in the internal 3G because I had a phone that I was paying an additional $30 on to throw a WiFi signal.

So in November, after moving into my new house, my internet needs changed. I discontinued both my WiFi add-on as well as a $60/month cellular internet device. That dropped $90 a month off my Sprint bill and I went to a $45 monthly internet bill in the house... but now needed a mobile internet device for when the iPhone just doesn't cut it.

I bought the iPad Mini... and I ***love*** it for everything just as well as my full size one - EXCEPT for my Barnes & Noble magazine subscriptions that I have come automatically into my iPad.

The mags are still readable ... and still wonderfully convenient to have when I get stuck places and want something to read... but they were nicer on the full size iPad.

That said, the portability and weight of the iPad mini makes it soooo much nicer for the other 99% of the things I do on my iPad.

Sprint offered a $15/month plan for 1gb of data... which is plenty for me if I pay attention to what I'm doing. Most of the places I go have free WiFi.

So in the end, I'm saving $30 a month and I still have all of my toys that I need.

I use it *alot*... I have Netflix, Hulu & Amazon Prime... so most of my TV watching is done on my desk on the iPad Mini (with sound being bluetoothed into a Bose speaker - it's amazing) while I'm working on some of my internet stuff.

------
~~~YAY! ~~~ I finally published my first pattern!
See demo video on: www.BionicGearBag.com
My personal blog: www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Bernina 550QE (for it's cute little footprint)
Sashiko
Ovation serger

Love my Babylock Ellisimo Gold & ElnaPress

LauraTS
star
LauraTS  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 7/10/06
Send Message

Date: 5/2/13 2:05 PM

My SIL really likes her mini and plays a lot of games etc on it, but finds it less convenient for things like watching TV/movies. It depends a lot on the things you will do on it, especially since you already have an iPhone, which presumably already has a camera, etc.

One thing I do know - there's a big picture quality difference between the original iPad and the newest ones (which is what I recently got). If you have the $ I'd just upgrade your iPad, unless portability is your primary concern.

------
I've moved! Visit my new sewing blog at http://chiralcraft.wordpress.com

Do you sew from KnipMode? Join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knipmode_english/

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 5/2/13 7:24 PM

Thanks RipStitcher and Laura - my gut says to go with the mini. As I said, DH does computers for a living, so he not only sees what he uses, but also what his clients use. And because so many things are integrated now, lots of people he sees for business also have their "fun" toys hooked up for work, so he sees the way they all work together.

I don't have to pay the cell phone or internet bills, but I doubt if I would go 3G because, as you say, I can hot spot my phone when I need it.

Love my blue tooth speakers with my iPad! I never thought I wanted better sound quality for just listening to podcasts, but the iPad was not strong enough to blare over my serger when I am sewing those long, long seams. I hate to miss chunks of This American Life or Stuff You Should Know and have to backtrack! The bluetooth speakers have gorgeous sound and quite amazing range. I sometimes carry them around with me all over the house and eventually forget where I left the iPad.

DH had an Asus tablet, which was fine, but the sound recording with the camera was so horrible I thought it was broken. Nope! They are all that way. His most recent tablet is a Blackberry, which is probably going extinct, but he got what was originally a $700 machine (called a Playbook maybe?) for $150. It functions ok for work and for him to read the newspaper at lunch, but when I left him at Starbucks one day with my iPad while I hit the fabric store (the place was crawling with men waiting for their wives in the fabric store!) he realized again just how wonderful it really is. I have a feeling he might try to adopt the old one when the "baby" arrives!

------

nicegirl
starstarstarstar
nicegirl
Intermediate
District of Columbia USA
Member since 5/10/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 5/2/13 10:35 PM

You all are not helping.

*I do not need an iPad Mini.*

------
http://theslapdashsewist.blogspot.com
=================
2007: purchased 115+, sewed 105+
So close to parity, yet so far

Trying again in 2008
Yards purchased: 133
Yards sewn: Somewhere around 95

2009? I give up

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 5/2/13 11:35 PM

Walmart has them for just under $300.00

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

Gilraen Surion

Gilraen Surion
Intermediate
Member since 6/6/04
Send Message

Date: 5/3/13 1:16 AM

Another ipad household here. We have an ipad one which is now in the kitchen as our recipe book (pad de chef). I have a mini and DH has a full size retina one.

I wanted the mini once I compared them side by side in the store, The screen is not that much smaller (the rim is nearly non existent, where the full size does have one) and it is definately lighter.
Was not too phased by the retina screen so decided a mini for me.
DH got it for me as a wedding anniversary gift and I love it.

Gilraen

Diahn
star
Diahn  Friend of PR
Advanced
Tennessee USA
Member since 6/27/05
Send Message

Date: 5/3/13 12:50 PM

DH surprised me last year around this time with an iPad 3 when it first came out. Incidentally I had just purchased the iPad 2 for myself the same day! I had done my research between the two models and figured the 2 would be just fine, but having the 3 is wonderful. I ended up giving him the 2 (just to be fair--or not)
Anyway, after a year of carrying around the big iPad (I had to buy new larger purses to accommodate it), I was intrigued when the mini came out. After I saw someone with it in person, I just had to have it. When Wal-Mart lowered the price to $300, I jumped on it and now I carry it around in my normal size purses and couldn't be happier. I watch Project Runway and GBSB and the screen size difference is negligible as far as I'm concerned. The only drawback for me is one my iBooks is slow to download, but that is a small price to pay for the lighter weight and smaller size.
Bottom line: I don't regret buying the mini at all; DH and I regret buying the full size.

------
http://seamslikeparadise.blogspot.com/

rivergum
starstarstar
rivergum
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 12/17/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/3/13 1:11 PM

I need to wear glasses to read things comfortably on the mini. If I enlarge the screen too much there is too much scrolling/moving around the screen. That is why I prefer the larger size.

------
Taking in is happier than letting out.

Sydney, Australia

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

In reply to rivergum <<

Date: 5/3/13 4:02 PM

Good point, Rivergum. I have all my glasses on all the time, so no problem there, and I probably won't use it a lot for reading books. Nice to have the full sized one around for when it is wanted.

Diahn - my DH was a bit miffed that I told him I was going to buy one as we have anniversary in August and my birthday in september and I think he was wanting to give me another super gift. Pod, pad and phone were all gifts and I think he really enjoyed being the gift giving hero.

I just had a conversation with my DD talking over Skype. She was strolling the streets of Glasgow, talking as she went, on her Samsung phone. I was sitting here in Canada at my kitchen table. Hard to imagine what technology will come up with next! My mother always used to start singing "Everything's Up To Date in Kansas City" from Oklahoma when we discussed new fangled things. She died before the internet really took off, which really was not that long ago. Amazing.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> iPad mini?

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Sewing Workshop Balboa Shirt & Topper

Sewing Workshop Balboa Shirt & Topper

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Waterfall Pattern Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Waterfall Pattern Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.