SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > 7 year old 430 vs new 530? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
7 year old 430 vs new 530?
LeslieMH
LeslieMH
Member since 2/21/12
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/4/13 0:51 AM

Hi, this is my first time posting on these boards. I am looking for some advice regarding the purchase of a "new" machine. I am a beginner and currently own an old Bernette 720 and a 50's Singer ss machine. I've been really getting into garment sewing and am ready to invest in a new all around machine to compliment my vintage Singer. I'm really drawn to the Aurora 430 based on features and reviews and found one locally for sale on Craig's List. The price seems a little high, but it is supposedly in perfect condition and barely used. I'm a little nervous about spending so much ($1600) with no guarantees or dealer support for a 7 year old machine. But it seems the 400's have a good track record and I like that they were made in Switzerland. An alternative is a new 530 for $800 more. I will be sewing on both this weekend and I know that is the ultimate test. I just get the impression the the 400's were a really great, well loved machine and I don't get the feeling that the 500's are as popular or as proven. I'd be happy for any input as I make my decision! Thank you in advance.
Leslie

MochaB
MochaB
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

In reply to LeslieMH <<

Date: 5/4/13 2:29 AM

I would be wary of buying a machine from someone you don't know. You are correct about not having a guarantee, and you don't know if the machine is "gently used" or thoroughly thrashed.

I am not sure that the 430s were made in Switzerland. I have an Activa 230 that was made in Thailand, but I love it.

The 530 is an improved version of the 430 with better lighting and redesigned case with a few extra features thrown in. Bernina did not change them much.

As you say, you will know when you sew on them, but if you have any doubts about the condition of the 430 or the truthfulness of the seller, the 530 would be a fabulous machine for making clothes.

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

In reply to LeslieMH <<

Date: 5/4/13 4:52 AM

I agree that $1600 is too much for a 7 yr old 430. Maybe you could negotiate a lower price, guided by ebay completed transaction prices. I also think $2400 is too much for a 530, but maybe that's the going rate in your area.

My 440 was made in Switzerland in 2008. The production of Auroras (430, 440, 450) did move to Thailand some time after that. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Thai-made Bernina, based on my positive experience with my Activa 240. I bought my 440 used in 2010 for $1900- no embroidery module, but BSR and walking foot included. I got a one-year dealer based warranty. For another $400, I could've had the embroidery module.

The 430 is capable of embroidery, with the additional module. The 530 is NOT. That may be a deciding factor for you. The 430 must be tethered to a computer to embroider.

There are ways to check the stitch count on the 430, but it's in the service menu. It's posted somewhere here on PR. Could you make the sale contingent on a check-up at a dealer?

I've saved a lot of money buying my 440 and later a 630 used, no problems with either so far. It depends on how much that warranty is worth to you.

Best of luck. I adore my CB hook/5.5mm Berninas, so much that I have a few

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/27/03
online now
Send Message

Date: 5/4/13 8:07 AM

MochaB can you tell us what you know about the differences. It looks like using the alphabet on the 530 is an easier, more intuitive process...and there's no separate stitch card to deal with. Both of those things are nice changes. I too would be interested in knowing of any upgrades the 530 has to offer over the 430. I own the 430 and its a great machine but I did not get dealer support (dealer closing). The machine has many capabilities but it is not the most user-friendly out-of-the-box. This is one time I would have really benefitted from having classes, but I've been able to work through most of it on my own.

JanyceR
star
JanyceR  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 2/3/07
Send Message

In reply to sewfrequent <<

Date: 5/4/13 8:19 AM

I am not MochaB but I currently own a 430 (bought new in 2007 for my daughter and now I have it back), and I have owned a 530. In my opinion the 530 is much easier to use. The navigation through the menus is very intuitive, and no stitch card is great. You are correct that using the alphabet is much easier. The memory on the 530 is greatly improved over the Auroras. The other thing you can do on the 530 that I loved is you can adjust the stitch length, change the needle up/down position and save it. Then next time you turn on the machine those settings remain. If you have a BSR, I also think it is much smoother on the 530. Whether or not it is worth upgrading, is only something you can decide.

------
Pfaff Creative Sensation Pro, Bernina 780,
B350SE,other Berninas, Pfaff Performance 5, several vintage - multiple manufacturers.
Love all my machines!

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/27/03
online now
Send Message

In reply to JanyceR <<

Date: 5/4/13 8:49 AM

Thank you, Janyce. Can you tell me if the 530 has a basting stitch built in?

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

In reply to sewfrequent <<

Date: 5/4/13 9:06 AM

The basting stitch (#30) requires that you lower the feed dogs and move the fabric manually...start by holding the threads for the first stitch and then make one stitch at a time.
I tried it on my 530 and it's not something I'd use; I'll go to another machine for what I consider a 'real' basting stitch.
That said, I love my #530 and I think it's ideal for garment sewing and piecing.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to LeslieMH <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/4/13 10:11 AM

Personally, if you could afford it, buy the brand new machine. With it, you get a warranty and the free mastery user(guide) lessons from the dealer.

Don't let the Switzerland vs. Thailand thing get in your way. Bernina owns and supervises both factories. The machines are not subcontracted out to a generic factory. My Thai made 350PE is a gem.

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/27/03
online now
Send Message

In reply to Doris W. in TN <<

Date: 5/4/13 1:16 PM

I'm with Doris. if difference isn't too much of a stretch...get the 530 for the dealer support, classes and warranty. Also the 530 does have a BIT more going for it.

PortlandMaine
star
PortlandMaine  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maine USA
Member since 1/29/11
Send Message

Date: 5/4/13 2:47 PM

Here the 530's are even more than the price you listed.

I know the price is different all over, though.

I had a 530 for a week - It was a tight little machine. I loved the design and feel of the machine. I think the computer was the smartest in any machine Ive had.

I FMQ lots and like a faster machine with more harp space.

The machine is a great machine - if it fits your needs.

------
Quilting up a storm!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> 7 year old 430 vs new 530?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Class Details

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Class Details

Vogue Patterns 8392

photo
by: susandf

Review
Vogue Patterns 1325

photo
by: Graca

Review
Favorite Things Little Hip Skirts Pattern

Favorite Things Little Hip Skirts Pattern

More Info
You Sew Girl Day Bag Pattern

You Sew Girl Day Bag Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.